International cricket rolling thread

T Paine quits as Aussie captain after having being caught sexting.
That’s two Aussie captains in 4 years who lost their jobs for doing dodgy things with balls.

The sexting actually happened, and was investigated, four years ago, it’s just that Paine has heard that details could be about to enter the public domain, and so has resigned in advance.

England cricket is imploding a little with the fallout from the Yorkshire CCC investigation. It almost needs its own thread, but I doubt it’d get much traction here.

I assume extra-marital? Otherwise not sure why it’s a problem. Interesting, because I don’t think a US athlete would face any repercussions for something like that (except obviously with family and such).

It should. Racism in organised sports is a global issue.
By the way, if timing is to be believed, CA knew about this scandal when it made him Captain in the stet match of sandpapergate.

Depends on the relative status of the two.from the snippets I’ve seen, he’s pretty forward about it and she’s more passive. I don’t know how big Tim Payne was in Cricket Tasmania in 2017. I don’t really follow domestic cricket anywhere very closely.

I can tell you that if I sent pictures of my genitals to a female co-worker who was two or three levels below me in the organization, even if she was not in the same department, I’d probably be fired or demoted and definitely have my leadership capability questions. And there would be no way I could honestly describe what would happen to me as “exonerated”

Did CA know about it or just Cricket Tasmania?

Sorry, didn’t know it was unwelcome or abusive. Yes, in that circumstance it would be treated very differently.

Fair point.

The testimony from Rafiq has been shocking. I was quite prepared to believe that there was racism in British sport: I didn’t expect anything quite so blatant as what has been reported. Out and out racist abuse in the guise of “banter”; punishment of the whistle-blower; cover-ups, abuse of process, old boys networks and of course a lot of bystanders letting it happen rather than stepping up.

It would be foolish to think it’s restricted to Yorkshire, of course. Some stories have emerged about Essex, some about Scotland - there are doubtless others.

This is a massive governance scandal, starting right at the top with the ECBs willingness to let Yorkshire investigate the allegations against it, on the grounds that they really, really wanted to. As has been said, we’ve had the reviews, we’ve had the strong statements - are we actually going to see anything change?

Oh no, I don’t know that for a fact either. I’ve just seen tiny snippets with lots of redacted words.

My understanding was that it was flirty texting, both ways, and then Tim took it too far. The recipient complained, but did not press criminal charges. She was a member of staff at Tasmania, where Tim was playing at the time.

Edit: Whoever captains now is going to have 2 players under them who have left the captaincy scandalously. Tough ask!

I saw a statement today which claimed it was “between mature consenting adults”.

But as you say, when you’ve got disparity in seniority in the org, it’s not always clear just how freely and willingly given that consent was.

CA acknowledged that Paine had been cleared of any breach of the code of conduct regarding this matter some years ago but CA’s chair, Richard Freudenstein, said the board “does not condone this type of language or behaviour”. Cricket Tasmania said in a statement it too does not condone his behaviour, but “because of the consensual nature of the actions it was determined that no further action was required or appropriate”.

The interaction was, according to CT “consensual, private, occurred on the one occasion only, was between mature adults and not repeated”.

This puts a very different light on “consenting”, doesn’t it?

It does, it seems he went in with a dick pic that she was not expecting. If it was just flirty, consensual sexting, I can’t see how it would ever have been found out about to investigate.

He did have a wife and kids at the time.

Co-incidentally, I’ve just seen a woman on twitter talking about how, when men she worked with started sending her flirty messages, she was too embarrassed and unsure of herself to do anything other than respond in kind. Now she tells them to fuck off, but when she was younger, “That’s sweet of you” would be the general tone of the response. She wouldn’t reciprocate, but for some men just accepting the “compliment” counts as consenting to more. Given the victim here clearly didn’t expect or want the picture, you have to wonder exactly what kind of consent CT or CA (or Tim Paine) were reading into this and whether it bore any real world relationship to what she was really thinking.

Consenting often means answering “yes” to “do you want to keep working here?”

In.Deed.

In other news, teh ECB have released a statement full of fine words about how they’re going to change, so that’s great.

With regards to England, I’m a bit disappointed that it’s turned into a bit of a witch hunt over specific individuals and incidents, when it’s clear that those that oversaw a culture that allowed our encouraged such incidents should be the ones being under the cosh here.

I don’t have a vote in the matter but methinks there will only be one ie Smith.
Cummins will be the new captain and Carey will come in for Paine.

As to the subject matter, this predilection of Gen-Xers and Millenials for taking selfies of their genitals profoundly confuses me … (obviously I’m a curmudgeon dinosaur and severely psychologically flawed) … but then posting said pics on social media from where it can never be fully removed … has that ever worked out well for anybody? Why not just play with petrol and matches?

“Horny man makes poor decision” has been headline news since the stone age.

Yeah, but “ then paints it on the cave walls” isn’t often the end of the sentence.