International cricket rolling thread

Set up perfectly for Ross Taylor to put on 130 with the lower order and Bangladesh to chase a testing 150 to win in 45 overs on the fifth afternoon.

Very simple for Bangladesh in the end, winning by 8 wickets chasing only 40. A magnificent team performance.

MyCricket is the Australian official competition management app.
Registrations, competitions, fixtures, results, player performances etc.

They periodically post snippets from the national database.
Presumably to remind us that we are all shit at this game they posted the current Australian batting average for season 2021/22.

… and from our own records, our Club does nothing material to buck the average. :upside_down_face: :rofl:

Looks like you faced some excellent Over 60 bowlers!

I don’t play, but have heard suggestions for the 60s comp that being able to walk to the wicket counts as a run.

Many 60s innings are highly reliant on a solid contribution from Mr Sundries

4th Ashes Test @ SCG stumps day 2
AUS 8-416 dec off 134 overs
ENG 0-13 off 5

After a rain interrupted 1st day, Aust compiled a very solid batting card with the top 5 scoring 30s, a half century to Smith, some robust batting by Starc and a polished hundred to the reinstated Khawaj. If you want to score 400 on a challenging deck, that’s your model.

ENG have had bugger all of the luck in this series, and haven’t really worked hard enough to deserve much. But Starc overstepping to give Crawley a life might in the midst of a very testing short session just before stumps might be some rebalance. Hopefully the 3rd day will bring a resurgence for the visitors amongst the hot pink festooned grandstands of Jane McGrath Day.

The pitches in this series have been notably good and not particularly in line with each venues character. They all have had more grass on them, and a bit of bounce. Very few batters have looked like they were really in and settled.

The Gabba wasn’t the greentop expected, Adelaide offered enough for the bowlers though the night sessions didn’t provide the disconcerting swing expected. The MCG was possibly the best surface seen in my lifetime. The SCG isn’t a batters paradise with some steepling bounce at times and the odd one keeping low making Khawaja 137 even more exemplary.

Have been ordered back to working from home so I saw a fair bit more of the days play than I could have expected.

At lunch it’s:
AUS: 416/8d
ENG: 36/4

With a wicket right before the break. This may not make it anywhere near Day 5. I would assume that unless England explodes in their last 6 outs, the Aussies will make them follow-on and then laugh maniacally when England can’t catch them given 2 innings to 1.

70 dot balls interrupted only by three wickets. Unbelievable.

Hadeem is very fast in the field.

Did anyone note what Broad said that day…essentially it doesn’t matter how good the bowling is if the batting fails to break 100.
Malfoy look alike isn’t coming slow.

Stumps Day 3 (Jane McGrath Day of the Pink Test)
ENG 7- 258 Bairstow 103no

Interesting day’s cricket. England’s day.

After a tour standard poor start of 4-36 and without a contribution from Root
(ENG finally bowled out for 294 after another 40 mins on morning of Day 4) and a bit of luck, and despite some battered and bruised players post a handy total.
The difference between AUS’s 400 and ENG’s 300 was Root putting down Khawaja on 28.

Australia dropped a couple of catches, missed a couple of chances, Carey dropping a catch that would have been a comfortable chance at 1st slip. After a bizarre period when ENG stonewalled for 12 overs and lost wickets, a bit of belligerence from Stokes, Bairstow and Wood saw AUS go really on the defensive.

AUS took to ENG spinner Leach at the Gabba. Today ENG returned the compliment to Lyon. ENG’s Wood took Cummins for 3 6s.

Stokes had a barely comprehensible stroke of luck when he shouldered arms to a delivery from Green which clipped the off peg sufficient to rebound to 1st slip but didn’t shake, let alone dislodge the bails. Then unfathomably umpire Reiffel gave him out (lbw, bowled, caught???, each not technically possible) which would, if not overturned on review, have been the worst howler I have seen in decades. Thanks to DRS, all ended right in the world.

This is not an easy pitch to bat on, especially with the new ball. Disconcerting bounce has seen virtually everybody taken hard on the gloves. The line at the medic tent is considerable on both sides.

AUS batting again are 4-149 and 271 ahead at tea. 300 will be a bloody big chase with Stokes hurt, Bairstow and Buttler injured and off the field, Pope in as sub keeper and Sam Billing being added to the Test squad from the Thunder BBL squad.

Drama aplenty in the midst of a contest.

Did Cummins declare a bit early? It seems like it’s getting easier to bat. Could England go for the win from the start, or just try to increase the chances of a draw? Would require a run rate of 4 to win.

Marginally late IMHO.
I would have closed on Khawaja’s century which would have given them an additional couple of overs. Not sure why Carey was sent out if they closed when he was out 1st ball.

387 (357 to get) is a lot of runs in a day, let alone on a 5th day pitch which is still bouncing but also has the odd ball keeping low.

In the Stokes “miracle” at Headingly ENG were chasing 359, Baring a similar miracle, wth Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler carrying injuries, the Poms will do well to get 250.

Aus have won the series, they don’t need to win and so a draw plays into their hands more really. An England win is unlikely.

… and with the last pair of 10 and Jack at the crease ENG hang in there to earn (and earn is the correct term) the draw. Well played.

The previous batters held out well, although Broad and Anderson were the ones who had to survive the fearsome assault of Smith and Lyon. For Australia, the earlier rain cost them time and then the light meant they could not bowl pace. Changes for the next Test for Australia will I believe be Khawaja retained as an opener and Hazelwood for Starc. Starc and Cummins both looked tired in the second innings but as Cummins has already had a break I think he will play.

There are some Australian players who have not added to the reason to retain them. Carey has made too many mistakes, Lyon has been largely ineffective, and Smith has not capitalised on a number of starts.

You know … if I’d been in a selection match race for the 1st Test team vs say Travis Head to bat at the only available spot of #5 in the batting order, and given him a major leg up when we were in the last First Class game before selections against him and for the good of my team chasing a win I’d enforced the follow-on, giving Head a second dig which he converted into big runs (rather than for personal advantage batting again and putting myself up before the selectors) and having missed the call-up I’d sat on the pine in bonhomie while others won the Ashes and was unavailable to play for either the State I captain or my BBL franchise.

And if I had a track record of being dropped from the team after getting fired and/or being (like David Gower, Mark Waugh and Damien Martin) so lustrous and sateen at the crease that when dismissed so as to look like I don’t care.

And were I then to be given an another opportunity, on a pitch which always offered something to the bowlers, and emphatically nailed it to the extent of becoming just the third man in history to score a century in each innings of an SCG Test (Doug Walters v WI and Ricky Ponting v SA).

And then, having incontrovertibly demonstrated that I was singularly the best #5 in the country, and the form batter in the team, if the selectors were to say to me “Thank you for your Man-of-Match performance at the SCG, we will pick you to play in the 5th Test … but we want you to vacate your spot and open the batting”, I’d tell them to shove the notion way beyond where the monkey stores his nuts.

At 35, I don’t think he has the leverage to dictate when he will play. He is not Greg Chappell.

“… when he will play”, well no. That is the selectors prerogative, and they could leave him out, or make him 12th man for Hobart. But they won’t.
“Where he will bat” (once selected) is a very different question.

Ross Taylor getting a wicket with his last ball in test cricket was a nice way to end his great career.