[QUOTE=Evil Joe]
The study that you cited said this:
Overall, the three treatments yielded substantial and statistically equivalent outcomes through follow-up periods as long as 3 years (Project MATCH Research Group, 1997a, 1998a). The principal purpose of the study, however, was to determine which clients responded best to which treatments. Four such effects were found. Clients who entered treatment with a high level of state/trait anger fared best in Motivational Enhancement Therapy through the three years of follow-up (PMRG 1997b, 1998a; Waldron et al., 2001). Those whose social support systems favored continued drinking rather than abstinence benefitted most from Twelve-Step facilitation. Outpatients with less concomitant psychopathology likewise fared better in Twelve-Step facilitation than in Cognitive-Behavior therapy. Finally, the Twelve-Step treatment was more beneficial for aftercare patients with high levels of alcohol dependence, whereas those with lower levels of dependence fared better in Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (Babor & Del Boca, 1993).
It seems to me it says all 3 did the same. I’m not sure if there was a control group doing nothing at all, if not all 3 treatments could have been totally worthless. The summeries about what “type” of patents do better in different treatments seem contrived. I’m not a researcher but the catagories that AA seemed to do well again seem contrived by someone trying to prove AA works ex post facto when the actual objective data says no difference in any of the 3.
Again I am no researcher and will take no insult if you say I’m stupid and got it all wrong!
[/QUOTE]
So obviously this study shows that there are some people whose dependence on alcohol is different and who need different help. And all of these people seem to have had help from a structure or from other human beings "which is one of the possible meanings of “higher power”.) Well, DUUUUHHHH!!!
I belong to a group founded in the 1930s by two drunks who had been told by their doctors that they had given up on them, that nothing short of locking them in a cell without alcohol could stop them. They happened to bump into each other in a hotel in Ohio, when both were sober but severely tempted to drink and trying not to. And they discovered an amazing thing.
Take one drunk who cannot control his drinking no matter how hard he tries, and have him discuss and work with another drunk of the same kind, and amazingly enough, you do NOT get two drunks who cannot control their drinking. You get two drunks who can help each other remain sober!
Who knew? It is so counter-intuitive as a concept that it is no wonder that it took until the 1930s for someone to discover it.
I repeat. I am a foaming-at-the-mouth, rabid, militant atheist. If you don’t believe me, click on my name and look up my other posts. I am also an alcoholic. My 16 years in AA have allowed me to remain 100% sober all that time. NEVER ONCE have I felt the slightest pressure to believe anything that is against my beliefs. Never once has anyone raised an eyebrow when I said I was an atheist.
Never once has anyone told me that the program would not work for me unless I started to believe in God.
The only thing I need to accept is that I need help above and beyond my own resources. This is all that “higher power” has to mean. The word “God” is used in the 12 steps because they were written in the 1930s when the higher power for most people was God. But right from the beginning, it has always been perfectly clear that the 12 steps are nothing but suggestions. You can rework them and interpret them any way you want. You can refer to “God” as HP ('higher power") in your own way of saying things, and nobody cares.
NOBODY ever corrects anybody in AA. That is one of the stongest concepts we have. Live and let live.