Is Amontillado pronounced...

…ah-mon-tee-YA-doh?!

Anxiously yours.

That is how my English professor that is really into literary theory always pronounced it. For the first couple times I heard him say it I had to try to figure out what he was talking about before I realized it was the Poe story.

That’s the way Boris Karloff pronounced it, too.

(I had a record of him reading “The Cask of Amantillado” when I was a kid.)

In Spain, that’s how the local llokels would pronounce it. :smiley:

I’ve always pronounced it a-mon-tee-ya-do. I sneered when I heard Lou Reed’s recent Poe-based CD, where it’s pronounced a-mon-till-a-do. (Well, that’s one of many reasons I sneered.) But when I consulted a dictionary, the latter was the only pronunciation listed.

Somehow I always got the Ls and Ds confused in my head, so all this time I’ve been rhyming it with Armadillo… ::embarrassed::

In the PBS production of Edgar Allan Poe: Terror of the Soul , they dramatize the story and it’s pronounced ah-mon-tee-yah-do as well.

Hey, did you know you can buy it? I had some once. It’s pretty good.

for the love of god, Montresor

…it is Spanish sherry. {A-mohn-tee-ah-dthoe}

BTW: Lou Reed is a total badass, but “linguist” is probably not on his resume. So I bit and bought the CD tonight, strictly from an anthropological trainwreck standpoint. At first blush I think the idea’s a little like an audio version of The Odyssey, as read by Woody Allen.

Also BTW: amontillado is good for what ales you.

[This is your captain speaking…] Anybody else love The Black Cat? [/averted hijack]

A-mon-tee-ah-do’h!

Englishized/Italian version: a-mon-tih-la-do

Spanish version: a-mon-tee-ya-tho