Is any one else excited about the Silent Hill Movie?

I’ve been VERY dissapointed with the recent wave of video game to film adapations. It seems that the film makers like to only take the name…and thats all, leaving the elements that made the games interesting on the cutting room floor. But it never fails, whenever I hear about a video game being adapted into a movie, I feel a rush of excitment. “Maybe THIS time,” I tell myself, “they’ll finally get it right.”

And finally, at long last, it looks like me might just have a decent film. You can view the tralier here Im genuinely excited about this. The creature design looks pretty freaken creepy and the story, what little we see of it, lookes solid.

Changes; Well they changed the main character from a father to a mother, which is a perfectly fine change to make, my only concern is that the father subplot gets to much attention, and in so doing draws away from the adventures in the town.

That being said, there are lots of aspects of the game that, at least look like, made it into the film. Such as the crazy old woman spouting dire warnings, that scary as hell air siren, and the fog…relly it couln’t be a Silent Hill movie with out the Fog, and gosh darn-it, it looks pretty scary.

So what do other dopers think of this? Has anybody else heard anything about it?

I gotta admit, the trailer looks very enticing. Nicely creepy production design. However, what really sold me on this flick’s potential is this production still of Pyramid Head. I have a feeling that this could actually be the first good video game movie.

It looks like it might be interesting. Is is going to be all CGI, or live action or what?

I think they could’ve chosen a different name for the daughter. I keep thinking of The Osbournes when she yells her name.

SHARON!

I see now on IMDB that it’s mostly live action.

SHARON!

Thanks Hodge, I hadent seen that still yet. Although I thought he was only a boss in the 2nd one? Oh well, he’s definitly the coolest character in the franchise and his apperence alone makes this movie twice as good as I thought it was going to be. :slight_smile:

I loved the part with the school, but you know what this trailor really needs? (and by extention the movie)

Radio static.

Anyone want to take bets on which ending they use? I imagine not the UFO ending.

Wow! That trailer rocks! I love the Silent Hill games. They scare the crap out of me.

Can’t wait!

ah, i remember this game fondly…

my buddies and i play these games in the basement. when it’s dark. three twenty somethings and we get freaked out like girls…and yet, we keep playing them.

anyways, i’m almost always the one at the controls because i have a knack for these types of video games. right when we got to the end with both pyramid heads, i unloaded on them with every weapon we had…to no avail…before pulling out that big ass sword. anyways, we hit some sort of glitch and they started bumping into each other. i got to hit both of them at the same time and had just enough time to keep smacking them just before they recovered.

after that, i killed the flying end boss with my very last bullet in the very last gun. the video game gods were with me that night, my friends…

ah, i remember this game fondly…

my buddies and i play these games in the basement. when it’s dark. three twenty somethings and we get freaked out like girls…and yet, we keep playing them.

anyways, i’m almost always the one at the controls because i have a knack for these types of video games. right when we got to the end with both pyramid heads, i unloaded on them with every weapon we had…to no avail…before pulling out that big ass sword. anyways, we hit some sort of glitch and they started bumping into each other. i got to hit both of them at the same time and had just enough time to keep smacking them just before they recovered.

after that, i killed the flying end boss with my very last bullet in the very last gun. the video game gods were with me that night, my friends…

Wasn’t there something in that game with…doors made of humping people or something? And I remember the commercials for the games of TV. Very creepy.

it was mannequins.

there was some weird mannequin sex in that game.
and to think trey parker was stealing material from them…

I’ve been following this for quite a while, and it looks great. After so many miserable, horrible video game adaptations to movies, it looks like this is going to be great. They’ve got quite a bit of creative input from the creative team of the game, and even the guy that scores the games scored the movie. It looks like they’ve really naield the tone, which is what matters.

But I agree, radio static, if only at the very end, would have pushed the trailer over the top and made it perfect. I hope it makes it into the film.

I’m geeked. I’m there.

Huh? What? Radio static? What’s going on with the radio static?

I’d better put that in the movie.
The trailer looks pretty good, at least from the perspective of having played the game. I’m not sure how the movie will convey the same freakiness of the games (an air-raid siren isn’t really that scary on its own), but I think I’ll see it anyway.

I’ve never played Silent Hill, but this looks good.

I’m still pissed about that House Of The Dead movie. If they’d followed the story from the game, it could have been a pretty good movie. Imagine Keanu Reeves (Rogan) finding Sarah Michelle Gellar (Sophie), in the castle. Then, Chariot falls through the ceiling and swats Sophie across the room. I’d replace Chariot’s axe with a mace, and maybe move his weak point a less-obvious location (like maybe on his back), but eventually Rogan manages to kill Chariot.

He goes over to Sophie, who is a bloody mess, having been hit with a mace and probably knocked into a shelf or something. Sophie dies. As Rogan is crying, Chariot sheds his armor and gets up. Rogan, furious, kills him with extreme predjudice.

To be honest, I wasn’t really paying attention to this movie, having been burned by far too many video game adaptations in the past. This interview (at a gaming site) changed that for me, though; it sounds like the director knows what he’s doing. There’s also an unedited, more rambling version at the interviewer’s blog here, for those who prefer that.

I’m still going to wait for the reviews before I get excited, but it definitely sounds like it has potential.

That short made me moist in my special places. The switch from father to mother is a bit jarring (and annoying. Why do that? Do fathers not have the necessary love and wherewithal to go searching for their child in the creepy hell-world?), but I can forgive it.

Why?

Nurses. Nurses and patient demons. Nurses with scalpels. SLASHY!

I’m geeked, freaked and ready to peak over this. It looks pretty. It keeps some of my favourite parts of the first game (I still hate school buildings at night, and don’t trust hospitals), and one of my favourite nemeses from the second. Yay Pyramid Head!

I’m counting down the days. And thanking god that Uwe Boll has nothing to do with this.

Tho’ I bet there’s not going to be any mannequin-rape or creepy self-decapitating mannequins, is there? And I have to dispute the comment the director makes in the interview. Most of the people I know who like SH are avid fans of the first game, and find the second enjoyable but just not quite as good.

What? :dubious:

You’ve never played the original PSX game? Well, I can’t sum it up better than Orca did on the Plot Analysis FAQ

Also, I really want to see the words “Leonard Rhine : The Monster Lurks” OR the words "Timothy Flyte: “The Ancient Enemy.” as a visual easter egg in there somewhere, with no connection to the plot what-so-ever. The book and movie “Phantoms” by Dean Koontz was supposed to be a major influence on the game. In the movie, the “Timothy Flyte” message was found written in lipstick on a bathroom mirror in a deserted town. The fact that a similarly phrased message was found in a bathroom in Silent Hill, with no relevance to the plot, is thought to be a reference.

Indeed I did. I actually bought a Playstation just to play it (since the PSX + game cost $40 at the time, it was like buying a game at regular price). Scariest game I’ve ever played. Enough that I nearly didn’t finish it.

I was just quoting Harry’s line. Speaking of which, I really hope that at least once someone says, “Have you seen a little girl around here? Short, black hair, around seven years old?”