Is anyone else concerned with this new virus in China that is becoming a bigger problem every day?

Well, O’Hare is an international airport and the hub of the Midwest, and I work in a building crammed with over 1,000 people all touching the same things and breathing the same air so, yeah, I’m not thrilled by this new virus one bit.

However people like my cousin often don’t die directly from the virus (flu in her case) they die from a secondary bacterial infection which is treated with antibiotics.

How can I? I still can’t give blood because of them.

There are places not far from the US where you can buy them over the counter.

Has any reputable organization made that claim? Not fucking hearsay from “secret sources”? Since everything I have read about it suggests that the Chinese Government has been as forthcoming with the information they have. I mean it took several days for them to i)identify this as a virus that ii)could spread to humans. This takes time. Its not like they could get revelations on it from the Almighty.
:rolleyes:

I am not overly concerned.

Several years ago, Canada was hit by West Nile and SARS. (Not only Canada, as the virus came from elsewhere.) I didn’t get sick either time. The statistics showed that I was extremely unlikely to get infected.

My understanding was SARS was deadlier (but less contagious) than the flu, which is in turn deadlier (but less contagious) than the common cold. Diseases get less deadly over time because the disease isn’t interested in killing the victim. I get flu shots every year now, but went years without getting them. I got the flu once or twice before I started getting the shots and, of course, didn’t die. I took no protection against SARS and West Nile and didn’t get sick. The coronavirus is basically a high-visibility but low risk form of death. I’m literally more likely to get run over crossing the street, and at most the newspaper would complain about traffic conditions for a day, unless there was a crime involved (hit and run, drunk driving, etc).

I hope they come up with a vaccine, because some people (perhaps children or the elderly?) are more vulnerable to it than others.

I saw a screenshot of an anonymous post on 8chan saying it was manufactured by the Chinese government to use against the Uyghurs but it got away. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

This is a serious concern, in case some may have thought it was not: China is building at least one hospital just to treat victims of this new coronavirus & they have quarantined more than 36 million people.

More info at this link:

When I get my flu vaccine at Giant Eagle’s pharmacy, they scan my Advantage Card and put $5 on my account.

This article seems to suggest that it is likely about as communicable as SARS, but less lethal (about 9.5% for SARS vs about 3% for the new virus.) If it follows the SARS epidemiology pattern we would expect a little over 200 deaths before it gets under control. Definitely worth taking action to get it under control, but nothing to panic about.

The caveats is that we have to rely on Chinese government figures so they may be underreporting the number of infections/deaths, on the other hand it appear that very swift action is being taken against it, so it could be significantly more or significantly less than my estimate.

I am embarrassed because at the time I wrote this I was sure there was a real difference. But I must have either copied some text from another part of my post or I wasn’t too careful. In any case, I was certain there were three possibilities but at this time, I just can’t explain what the third possibility was.

If I figure it out, I will post again. But I also may just go into hiding.

In any case, thank you for pointing out that foolishness. I’m sorry about that.

I don’t know whether, if you get vaccinated and still get the disease, you get a milder case or you get over it faster. If that is what you meant.

Regards,
Shodan

2nd case in the US.

About as much as I believe that Jaws was a documentary on sharks.

It’s hard to prove a negative. Getting the flu shot cost me a few mins, $5, & an ‘owie’ in my arm. It’s hard to prove that my not getting the flu was because I had the shot vs. me getting lucky & not getting it anyway. If the latter, I wasted some time, some money, & some physical discomfort.

Also, saying ‘flu’ is like saying ‘car’. If we’re at a hotel in the city & I state that our ride-share will be here in three minutes, you really don’t know what you’re looking for. Even if I say our Honda ride share will be here in three minutes, you don’t know if you’re looking for an Accord, a Civic, A CR-V, or a Pilot. There are different strains of the flu & the experts make up flu shots well in advance (because of production & distribution requirements) as to what will be the big variant(s) this year. Just because you had a shot for flu A1234 doesn’t mean you won’t contract variant B5678.

More happy thoughts on the Wuhan nCoV: Novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV: early estimation of epidemiological parameters and epidemic predictions From some researchers at Lancaster University, University of Florida, and University of Glasgow.

Pre-peer review, so take it with as many grains as you want, but here’s the meat of the abstract:

R0 of 3.8 is not happy-making. Nor is an estimated identified infection percentage in Wuhan of only 5.1%.

AIUI, incubation time is about 3-6 days. So I guess we’ll find out very soon how good their numbers are.

At least, I’ve not heard of any secondary infections of this bug, outside China. Thank God.

Per WHO, it appears there is a secondary case of infection outside of China, in Vietnam.

No idea of any of the timeframes for that particular exposure. Seemed inevitable, given the rate of spread in China. I mean, they didn’t all go to that food market in Wuhan.

This is getting a little more concerning. Two days ago I ran the numbers I’d seen then and the mortality rate then was 2.68%. These new numbers have gone just past 3.13%. That’s still somewhat low, but a worrisome jump in 48 hours.

Ate my original post. Joy. Question I had was: how is mortality rate calculated? Is it dead/infected? Is it dead/(dead+recovered)? Some other way?

Also, one group I’ve not seen among the patients list are children.

Not the latest information:

I would expect both numbers of cases and deaths to jump in the initial days after a problem is identified simply because of increased monitoring - you’ll catch more cases that might be otherwise overlooked.

It is worrisome but not cause for panic at this point, as far as I can see. Which opinion is from a non-professional and subject to change with more information.

one of the world’s largest vaccine factories is about 10 miles from my house. It was built partly with US federal money. It is designed to ramp up quickly to make new vaccines. Of course they have to develop the vaccine first. They use cells, not eggs. I think they can crank out 30 million does a month if needed. This is the factory:

Seqirus kicks off Holly Springs plant expansion

Are there vaccines for coronavirii? I don’t recall that one was ever crafted for the coronavirus that caused SARS. As I see in this 2009 Medscape article detailing the then state of the art in developing one. Or in this Medline blurb in 2016. Did the disease burn out and industry just said, “Fuck it.”? Are there difficulties in adapting a killed-virus vaccine model to coronaviruses? (coronavirii? I didn’t take Latin…)

I do see that Inovio just got a grant to make a DNA-based vaccine.