Is author Hanna Rosin a click baiting money grubbing whore?

She keeps publishing the same article again and again in multiple venues, the latest is featured at Time.com ( Men Are Obsolete | Time ). The title is provocative but there is nothing controversial or even disputed about the content. It’s quite tame. It’s just money grubbing click bait crap. Journalism is the lesser for this. She’s been peddling this stuff for the last two years. It’s the same stuff.

So of course, you need to post a link to it so everyone can click on it and read it? :dubious:

Hi Hanna. Stop your shit on this board.

‘journatist in crap story shocker!’

I somehow feel that the title of this thread is clickbaiting.

Is it a coincidence that the words “clickbaiting” and “cockblocking” are so very similar? I wonder…

My mind is failing me, but I don’t believe her premise is particularly original? That said, iirc, she’s actually advocating the creation of anti-male institutions, which is not a feminist belief (feminism is about equality). She pisses off everyone, from what I can see, so, good job with those page views, Time!

This is as good a place as any to point out that I hate the term “clickbaiting.” Yes, authors and publishers of online content would prefer that you viewed it, and behave accordingly. This comes as surprising to who, exactly?

During the trailers at the movies, do you scream “This is clearly just blatant watchbaiting!”? When you pass a restaurant’s sign proclaiming itself #1 Burger in the City, do you grouse about the transparent eatbaiting? When you see a model in “this season’s hottest new Armani”, are you appalled by his unabashed exhibition of wearbaiting?

Producers want consumers to consume their product. Film at motherfucking ten, and it hardly requires new vocabulary.

I’ve seen a couple of counters to her article in magazines, but this is the first time I’ve actually read the original. It was about what I expected, but I came away with one thought: This horrid woman has a son?

Quote: [bolding mine]
I dedicated my book to my son because he is one of those boys who gets in trouble a lot, who thinks the institutions are rigged against him.

Gosh. I’m just shocked.

Oh, and as far as the linked article in the OP…while that’s a far more meaningful usage of the term “clickbait” than I’ve encountered thus far, I think I’d rather term that practice “lying.” The headline is a promise to prove a point that the article doesn’t actually address whatsoever — the obsolescence of men is equated to the increasing recognition of women’s equality. If I claim that 2 = 1, and then provide a proof that 2 ∈ R and 1 ∈ R, then my original claim was just a flat-out lie, and terming it anything else would just be euphemistic bullshit.

Slate Magazine has pretty much built itself in recent years on articles with the formula “bomb-throwing contrarian headline + article that doesn’t quite make the case”. Back in 2009 their music critic wrote an article claiming that Creed is a seriously underrated band, and #slatepitches became a Twitter meme.

From what I can tell as a regular listener to the Slate Political Gabfest, editor David Plotz is the contrarian behind that trend. Plotz is also Hanna Rosin’s husband, so she learned from the best.

It’s all marketing. If clicks = dollars in today’s internet economy, well, your links need to sell it so people click. It’s not evil or anything. Unless you consider advertising and marketing evil, which you might, in which case yarglebargleoutrage!!!1!!

Oh, and not to mention, if you’ve seen multiple misleading articles about the obsolescence of men in the past that made you grumble about the money-grubbing motives of the author, why would you click on another one titled “Men Are Obsolete”? I think that says more about the clicker than the author, if you ask me.

This is great, and I will try to use this term at every possible opportunity.

Yes, but the term “clickbaiting” describes why she lied.

More From the Web:
Social Security Benefits You Haven’t Been Taking

How This Comedian Got “Accidentally” Pregnant

Unbelievable! These Billionaires Don’t Have a Degree

3 Ways Guys Can Drop 20lbs Quickly

12 Jobs On The Brink Of Extinction

Vote: Is Edward Snowden A Hero Or A Traitor?

Chuck Norris Listed His Dallas Home For Sale: Check Out Inside

8 Most Useless Workouts Ever

Vanessa Williams DNA Test Showed Genes From Across the World

Anything by Will Saletan, given that writer’s disregard for the internal logic of his pieces.

Eat THIS, Never diet again. See why millions are praising this as the “Holy Grail” of Weight Loss

Surprisingly simple solution to help your joints. See why these ingredients are flying off shelves

Think they’re sexy now? Your jaw will drop when you see these stars when they were cheerleaders.

Controversy over new skinny pill – Is it too strong for store shelves?..
I think clickbait is a fine term.

Clickbait refers to a very specific type of Internet “journalism” bait-and-switch. A more apt eatbait analogy would be a restaurant menu depicting a sizzling ribeye steak dinner that turns out to be a plate of cold baked beans made of painted sawdust. And you’re billed in advance.

I guess it comes down to ‘males’ instead of men. Kind of schlocky. But what part makes her a whore?

Does Hanah personally, immediately benefit from pageviews of her articles? (I added immediately because sure, she might get a raise if her articles are being viewed a lot. “Clickbaiting”, though, and blaming her for it, suggests she’s getting a nickel for every view.) I know nothing about how journalists are compensated, but I figured they were salaried if they were staff and paid by the article if they were freelance.

Now, on the other hand, she’s got a book she’s trying to flog. On that, she does indeed personally benefit from every sale. Can’t really blame her for trying to flog her book, honestly, even if I cannot summon up even the vaguest semblance of interest in it.