Is black licorice bad for you?

But it is higher on the ingredient list than is licorice in those candies.

CP’s link still seems the authoritative one. Lots of individual variability to the adverse effects with the most sensitive showing adverse effects at regular daily intake of “50 g liquorice sweets (assuming a content of 0.2% glycyrrhizic acid)”; 4X that effects most people. Less glycyrrhizic acid content per gram, more candy tolerated by more people.

Well, of course something called “anise” would have a laxative effect.

ETA: It’s pronounced with a long “a”, right? :wink:

But even extremely ammonium chloride-y salty licorice candy like I had yesterday is 91 % sugar, just like other hard candy. The fact that ammonium chloride beats licorice doesn’t mean much.

Which is the point … that that candy has pretty little licorice root in it and the assertion that your eating 5 oz. of regularly somehow shows how safe regular large consumption of real licorice is is not such a strong point. What you eat is a lot of sugar with some ammonium chloride to give it a kick and a hint of licorice extract … more real licorice than Twizzler but perhaps not so much so.

If you want more licorice than the recommended limit, buy Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL). It’s sold in health stores. For many, it’s fairly effective as a treatment for acid reflux, if one’s sweetie can stand the taste and your blackening teeth.

I’m reminded that a few years back I ordered some organic licorice sticks from an online herb and spice company. I eagerly awaited the arrival of my delicious licorice, but I apparently did not look too closely at the picture or description. I received a bundle of sticks. I was shocked until I realized they smelled of licorice and were actually dried licorice root. I made some fine candy after I finished laughing at myself.