Is Devry Institute a College

My friend wants to sign up for the Devry Institute. I didn’t think this is a good idea but I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to discourage her since it has taken me several years to talk her into going back to school.

She called me just now to ask about some forms she got from the school and they sound fishy to me. The student aid letter from the government said her contribution should be 0.00 yet Devry wants her to sign two forms that sound to me like loan papers. The forms said the loan amount would be for tuition, books and supplies. The amounts for these things aren’t listed. I got the feeling they were pressuring her a bit too. I told her that every word on these papers had to be read before she signs anything so she’s dropping them off for me to read for her tomorrow.

Can anyone say anything good or bad about this place? Is it really a school and will she get a job when she is done there or just a big loan payment every month? thanks, kelly

Devry is certainly an accredited college. I almost went to Devry, they are a bit pricey, but they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

From what I understand DeVry isn’t exactly your trypical four year college/university but it isn’t quite a trade/technical school, either.

It is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, and they do give out recognized Bachelor’s degrees. From what very little I can tell, it’s basically a national system of schools that focuses on getting people highly applicable/practical training in a particular career field along with a bachelor’s degree to go with it. I think they differ from a more traditional four year school in that they don’t have liberal arts requirements and don’t attempt to give students “wholistic” knowledge about the world in general. Rather the school focuses on giving what is strictly required to join a particular career field.

I can’t say anything about the papers your friend is being asked to sign. But yeah, I’d have her read them over.

I guess whether or not DeVry is a college depends on how you define the word college. DeVry gives out recognized bachelor’s degrees, so they are a legitimate type of higher educational institute.

They focus more, I would say, but they do have liberal arts education. It is required to be accredited, or so they told me when I asked.

For example, under CIS (computer information systems) have to click degree programs, it’s a pop up.

Bolding mine.

She’ll probably have some pretty big debts when she finishes. I don’t know how good they are. She should look into some other possibilities, if she’s going to shell out that much money.

The DeVry Institute’s Decatur (Georgia) campus has a history of fielding sports teams. A look at this page from the North Alabama men’s basketball site will provide several mentions of DeVry, including a 127-57 loss to North Alabama in 1992 that represents the victorious Lions’ highest point total and margin of victory on their Flowers Hall home court.

I have a friend who began attending DeVry. She decided after 2 years to switch, and go to University of Houston. None of her credits transferred. None. Zero. She was rather miffed that she had wasted all that money (DeVry is very expensive) on what ammouned to nothing. So be wary.

I don’t have any personal experience with DeVry (though WhiteyFoo’s post definitely sounds like a huge thumbs down), but I’ve seen their ads on cable TV and noticed that their URL that they advertise with is not www.devry.edu (even though that’s the first Google match) or even www.devry.com, but some weird URL that starts with a number. Maybe they’re perfectly legitimate, but it reminds me of the “This Isn’t a Get Rich Quick Scheme, but you’ll Get Rich Quick!” ads which also air on cable using similar URLs.

I’ve been electrical engineer for almost twenty years.

I’ve worked with a few people who went to DeVry, and they were competent.

When they went on to grad school, though, they often had to bone up on mathematics – DeVry’s curriculum seems to focus on hands-on skills at the expense of theory.

The tuition is pretty high, and there seems to be considerable sales pressure to get people to sign up for loans.

They don’t appear to be very selective in admissions, so I’m guessing they get a lot of applicants who couldn’t get into better schools. I wonder what their dropout rate is?

My un-scientific opinion: they deliver the education they promise, but they have some of the elements of ‘for-profit’ trade schools that exist only to get money out government programs (and perhaps loan money to students directly).

And I certainly hope they stress writing better than where I went to school.

Oh, I just imagined you pronouncing that with some slavik accent.

Engineers are notoriously bad at spelling and grammer. I’ll wager there aren’t many engineers who haven’t heard the old phrase “I usta couldn’t spel enjineer now I are one”.

Ahem.

“Grammar.”

:smack:

I would suggest your friend call around to various employers and see if they would consider hiring a graduate from DeVry. Also, check on various universities to see if her credits are transferable. (Is that a word?)

Here in Arizona the DeVry in Phoenix is an accredited university. My fiance is going there, he has one year until he gets his bachelor’s in computer science. They have a new degree in game programming that looks very impressive… DeVry is pretty respected around here, or so I’ve seen. Although their policies seem pretty draconian.

What other posters have said about DeVry being expensive surprises me. The main reason my fiance chose DeVry over, say, ASU (which I’m attending) was because it is much, much, much cheaper. They also have some really good scholarships.

A friend of mine went to devry. This information may be out of date because it was 10 years ago, but he was lured in for their 3 year program because he was in a hurry. He didn’t understand that it was the same 12 quarters of school, just with no breaks. He also believed them when they said it was cheaper. It was certainly not cheaper than the state school that I graduated from, and he was kicking himself over it later.
He also was going for a BA in his field rather than a BS - his science curriculum was really limited, as you might guess. He ended up going for just shy of 3 years and taking his AA just to get out of there.
Overall, his job prospects are okay, but his debt is high for what he makes.

I can support what F. U. Shakespeare said above.

Before enrolling in any school, I would suggest to prospective students that they try to find out about opportunities for graduate placement, drop-out rates, and the possibility of financial aid. Those factors proved to be more important than I realized at first.

I went to one of the schools in the 1970s, when it was still called the Ohio Institute of Technology. The coursework in humanities and the like was minimal, apparently just enough to offer a degree with some credibility. The supposed claim to fame was hands-on technical work, and there was plenty of that.

The school was owned by Bell and Howell, run for profit, and was more expensive than some other local universities. The financial aid staff was very effective, so that almost everyone got student loans, grants, or both, as needed. Classes were scheduled to allow part-time employment in either mornings or afternoons, and most people I knew had part-time jobs. This probably didn’t help much with their scholarly efforts, but it was the only way many of the students could afford to live and go to school at the same time.

The school seemed to accept practically anyone who could sign student load papers. The beginning classes in my Bachelor’s program were almost one hundred students. The number who finally got a Bachelor’s degree were typically less than ten. Most of the other students got out with an Associate’s degree, or a Technician’s diploma, but I think quite a few left with nothing more than student loan debt.

The survivors were good students who were rewarded with job offers. The graduate placement office claimed a success rate of something like 98 percent. Employers in booming Silicon Valley sent recruiters and offered relocation packages to new hires. For a person with limited finances but some talent and ambition, it was a viable path to gainful employment.

DeVry University is traded on the NYSE. Try Googling for DV

More directly to the financial aid questions in the OP, I think the “student contribution” portion reads $0 on financial aid papers when there are loans, but the student isn’t required to contribute any cash from current savings.

So it sounds to me that the paperwork may well be prepared correctly, but the student should be very aware of how much loan she is being offered, and is she comfortable with what she would be expected to repay.

Also, she would not need to take out all of the loans she is being offered if she would prefer to pay from savings or current income. Usually student loans are a good deal since interest is deferred until graduation, but her particular aid package might not have that feature, so she should be very familiar with the terms of each separate loan in her aid package.