Is dropping the soap in the shower at prison really a big deal

Assume you are in jail or prison and you drop the soap in the shower. Is that really a big deal or is it just drama? Prisons in real life are totally different than the images portrayed on TV. On TV there are murders every week and nobody cares, in real prison if there is a stabbing or a murder usually the whole prison goes on lockdown until the investigation is solved and the perpetrator is charged with a crime.
Sooooooooooooooo what about dropping the soap in the shower. Is there any risk to that or is that just an urban legend?

Hm… I dunno. Ask a Navy guy, they use powdered soap cause it takes longer to pick up. :smiley:

Is a chicken’s motivation in crossing the road really nothing more than getting to the other side? I mean, is the chicken going *toward *something, or walking *away *from something?

It’s not an “urban legend,” it’s a joke.

I have a hunch that if you actually dropped the soap in the shower, the other prisoners would make a joke about it and then keep showering.

At my prison, shower times are brief (about 5 minutes), highly regulated to keep inmate movement steady, and the guards are NOT gonna stand for any hanky-panky, consensual or otherwise.

Any inmate screws up showertime for the other inmates, they’re gonna be regretful.

Yes.

That stuff is so slippery, it’s really hard to pick up again.

In situations like this I always urge the Official Straight Dope Personal Investigation Method: get yourself sent to prison, drop your soap, and let us know what happens.

:wink:

For some reason I now have this vague “memory” of all of us in high school gym class showering with our backs to the wall. Make of that what you will. . . .

<total mood-killer>
I just want to get up on my soapbox for a second and say that the “don’t drop the soap” type jokes really piss me off. Rape is not funny. Violence is not funny. Generally speaking, it’s not acceptable to joke about a woman on a date getting drugged and raped. It’s generally not acceptable to joke about a prisoner getting stabbed to death with a crude shiv. And yet, for some reason, it is generally acceptable to joke about certain types of sexual violence.

I’m on an email listserv that’s about general martial arts, self defense, violent and criminal psychology, and so on. A number of the subscribers work in security jobs, several in prisons. From what they sometimes say about their work, they sometimes see some extremely unpleasant things, and not one of them sees any of it as funny. In my opinion, it’s just not something that’s acceptable to joke about.

Obligatory link
</total mood killer>

Did you know that ninjas used to break into people’s castles and sometimes murder entire families, and they did it for whomever was the highest bidder? Meaning, if you had more gold than your enemy the ninja would kill his family instead of yours. It is something to think about.

However I don’t think anyone here is an advocate of forced sodomy. So I don’t know if this thread is really going to change the real world situation which according to QtM luckily isn’t that bad. Maybe 40 years ago but not in the 21st century.

Oddly enough the debating team in my high school {of which I was a particularly undistinguished member}, despite numerous accusations of being “gay” by big hairy rugby players, never took showers together. Make of that what you will.

I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town. If you don’t believe me just ask my friend Mark.

Put out an APB

Boy, those guys must be dull as dirt. I’ve been working in prisons for 23 years now and we joke about the unpleasant things we see all the time.

As for “dropping the soap” it’s a bad idea. But mainly because those shower room floors are none too sanitary.

Seriously, as I’ve said before, forcible rape is nowhere near as common in prison as you’d think from watching movies. This for pragmatic reasons of self-interest - imagine Smith rapes Jones. Where is Smith going to go afterwards? It’s not like he can move on to the next town. Smith will be living, eating, walking around, and sleeping a hundred feet away from Jones. How long do you think it’ll be before we find Smith in a puddle of his own blood?

That’s ninjas for you: no class. Pirates who had The Code, never did such things. Even if it was really more of a set of guidelines.

What happens if a ninja drops a bar of soap in the shower at prison?

slaps forehead Just realized how that could be taken. Doh. I apologize for my morning buttheaditude. Stupid lack of editing feature…

And I just realized that ninjas never drop things because they’re way too busy flipping out and killings anyway.

I was waiting for a reply from Qadgop before I’d finished reading the OP. Thankfully your reply is free from stories of stitching in painful areas :eek:

NinjaChick, I love ya dearly, but *everything ** is worthy of a joke, be it dark humor. I firmly believe it’s the only way humans can stay sane - if we were distressingly serious and really thought about all the horrible things in this world, we’d just sit there crying all day long. Humor is our way of dealing with this stuff.

*Standard disclaimers apply.

He gets sodomized by a pirate. Pirates are famous for their sodomy.