Is furt OK?

Furt, you mostly post here, so I’m asking the question here, even though there’s no debate to be had.

Are you OK following the earthquake? Stateside, we hear it was pretty bad.

If there are other SDMBers in Taiwan, I repeat the question to them.

Best of luck to all.

has anyone heard from furt?

What date did the earthquake happen?

A search of the MB showed his most recent post to be in the thread “should the LotR movies be made” in this forum on 17 September.

I sent email to his hotmail address telling him about the concern.

(I don’t think I’ve ever “talked” with him…)

Anyway, here’s hoping, right?

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

Thanks for the concern! I was touched to get 3 emails! I am OK, but it was a fairly near thing. I’m only about 30mi from the epicenter, so we got a real good jolt. There is a 20-story building on its side about five blocks from my house. Very scary stuff.

The quake was last Monday at 1 pm CST, or 2am Tuesday here. Things are starting to get back to normal, and kids were in school today. Power is mostly back, but water is rationed (2 days on, 2 days off) due to one of the big dams being damaged and the resevoir being emptied. I took a shower today using a bottle of mineral water.

I am physically fine, though the frequent and heavy aftershocks are giving me the willies. They actually scare me more than the initial quake did. One of my students is temporarily homeless. Another freind’s dad’s factory is completely gone.

The worst damage is up in the mountains, which are thankfully, far less populated; but the remoteness makes rescue very difficult. There are some mountain hamlets that won’t have road access for weeks. They’re using choppers and, in a couple cases, actually sending soldiers with supplies in on hiking trails.

The irony is that I was getting ready to leave here in a couple of weeks, after 1 1/2 years, but the quake will keep me here a little while longer.

Anyway, again, thanks for the concern.

Y’know, in seeing the title and the OP again, I suppose there IS a debate to be had–there’s a couple of people on the SDMB who might well say "NO he’s not OK, he’s a #%^@# ^%!@ ^#*%$!!!

(insert smiley icon that I haven’t figured out how to use yet here)