Is "globalist" an alt-right term for "Jew"?

A Huff Post article talks about a Fox News reporter using the word “globalist” to describe Gary Cohn in a question to Sarah Huckabee. The article said that “globalist” is an alt-right term for Jew. Is this a common dog whistle?
This Anti-Semitic Term Was Casually Used At The White House 3 Times This Week | HuffPost Latest News?

I haven’t heard that. Although people who complain about “globalists” have a significant overlap with people who complain about Jews, I have only ever heard the two terms describe different sorts of people. To the alt-right, a globalist is a traitor who wants to surrender American authority to the UN, or who want to create a New World Order to the detriment of America. They hate people like Obama and Hillary, who make sweeping trade deals and political treaties with other nations, as a prelude to establishing a single world government where Americans are marginalized.

To a smaller subset of alt-right loonies, a separate but equally alarming issue is that Jews are taking over the American entertainment industry and government. These people hate Israel and Jews, and are more of the traditional type of fascist.

There are plenty of alt-righters who hate globalists, but love Israel. They see American support of Israel as either a holy quest to fulfill a prophecy, or as brothers in arms against the evil Muslims.

No, because there is no such thing as “alt-right”.

“Alt-right” is a neofascist term that means “neofascist”.

That doesn’t seem right. I think Jews are just considered one group in the globalist cabal. So a Jew=globalist but a globalist != Jew.

Alt-right is a very broad category comprising a number of overlapping groups, but in the main, it seems to associate Jews with (((globalism))) while at the same time making a lot of exceptions for individual Jews. Also, it includes both people who view Israel as the center of a Zionist conspiracy, and people who are indifferent or openly supportive of Israel.

I thought ‘globalist’ was a virtue-signal term used by progressives. You know, one world, no borders, John Lennon etc.

I feel like this is a relevant quote.

Stop responding to everyone who worries about Wall Street or globalism or the elite with “I THINK YOU MEAN JEWS. BECAUSE JEWS ARE THE ELITES. ALL ELITES AND GLOBALISTS ARE JEWS. IF YOU’RE WORRIED ABOUT THE ELITE, IT’S DEFINITELY JEWS YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT. IF YOU FEEL SCREWED BY WALL STREET, THEN THE PEOPLE WHO SCREWED YOU WERE THE JEWS. IT’S THE JEWS WHO ARE DOING ALL THIS, MAKE SURE TO REMEMBER THAT. DEFINITELY TRANSLATE YOUR HATRED TOWARDS A VAGUE ESTABLISHMENT INTO HATRED OF JEWS, BECAUSE THEY’RE TOTALLY THE ONES YOU’RE THINKING OF.” This means you, Vox. Someday those three or four people who still believe the media are going to read this stuff and immediately join the Nazi Party, and nobody will be able to blame them.

I’m sure it can be an alt-right dog whistle. On the other hand, I think most people who are worried about “globalists” are people who are worried about, y’know, globalists, and the influence and power they have in fighting against more nationalist concerns, as opposed to the fact that they tend to be jewish. Or, to make it very blunt, you know who else tends to really love to point out how many “globalists” tend to be extremely rich jews? Antisemites. There’s a reason for that. I don’t think that people who spend a lot of time railing against globalists are right, but I think most of them aren’t likely to be antisemites, and that talking like this is only more likely to push them in that direction.

WTF? Alt-right is a term that was coined by the alt-right:

From here: Alt-right - Wikipedia

Sorry for the hijack, but I thought that should be addressed.

Seems like “globalist” sometimes means Jew, and sometimes doesn’t. I’m sure it supplies plenty of plausible deniability.

That’s the same thing that DavidwithanR just said.

There’s a weird conundrum here.

The stereotype for Jews has been, for centuries, that they’re shadowy moneylenders who get rich off the backs of poor people.

Our economy has plenty of actual shadowy moneylenders who get rich off the backs of poor people (most on-the-nose cite), and only a few of them are Jewish, and that’s a coincidence that they are.

But it means that when you talk about the overreaches and pitfalls of capitalism–a necessary conversation even for folks who advocate for capitalism–it’s very easy for the language used to resemble antisemitic slurs, given the stereotypes that exist.

Way I figure it, it’s on folks criticizing capitalist overreaches to be extra-careful in their language and extra-careful in their self-reflection, to avoid slipping unconsciously or deliberately into antisemitic bullshit; and it’s on folks criticizing antisemitism to look closely at what folks say, to avoid calling something antisemitic when it’s criticizing capitalism and not stereotyping Jews.

“Globalist” lives at the intersection. It is perfectly possible to criticize global capitalism without being antisemitic, but it’s also perfectly possible to promulgate antisemitic smears under a facade of criticism of capitalism. Be careful, y’all.

You’re correct, of course. Sorry for the misreading on my part.

RS

There’s a little more to this, if we’re talking about “centuries ago” … let’s get rid of the idea that the common people could borrow money … common people themselves were no better than property … it was the aristocracy who borrowed money from the Jews …

Sometimes is was just easier to kill the Jews rather than pay back the loans … so it was important that Jews never ever be seen as humans … they were considered animals and thus not subject to the laws prohibiting murder …

The president just called Gary Cohn a globalist AND a nationalist.

I’ve always read “globalist” as elitist. Apparently it’s pretty common to assume it’s a Jewish dog whistle. Same with talking shit about East Coast elites. It was never clear to me how that worked when slamming Obama.

My best guess is that there’s significant overlap between the people that hate elites and the people that hate Jews. Those people hate Jews and globalists because those groups are the ones keeping down the common man. However, saying “globalists” isn’t necessarily a code-word. Maybe that’s naïve of me, but I haven’t seen a compelling argument that it’s necessarily a dog whistle.

The Stalinist term is something like “rootless cosmopolitan”, but I don’t know if that is always synonymous with “Jew.”

That whole three brackets thing is an alt-right way of indicating a person is jewish. From the wikipedia page for it;

The use of triple parentheses or triple brackets, also known as an (((echo))), is an antisemitic symbol that has been used to highlight the names of individuals of a Jewish background. The practice originated from the alt-right blog The Right Stuff; the blog’s editors have explained that the symbol is meant to symbolize that the historic actions of Jews had caused their surnames to “echo throughout history”. The triple parentheses have been adopted as an online stigma by antisemites, neo-Nazis, and white nationalists to identify individuals of Jewish background as targets for online harassment, such as Jewish political journalists critical of Donald Trump during his 2016 election campaign

Liberals tend to assume that “conservative” and “neocon” and “alt right” are pretty much the same thing.

They ain’t.

There are many conservatives who are sympathetic to Jews in general and to Israel in particular. (Liberal Jews tend to dismiss their support, and claim, “They only like Israel because they think it will trigger the Second Coming.”

The alt-right hate Jews in general as well as anyone who doesn’t hate them. The alt-right is NOT Christian. Note well, I do not say “They’re not TRUE Christians,” I say they aren’t Christians, period.

Alt-right guru Richard Spencer and his fans are militant atheists, though they sort of like Nordic pagan gods. Don’t believe me? Google “Cuckstian” and see what they think of American Christianity. They regard Christians as fools who’ve been tricked into embracing a Jewish heresy. They hate Christianity because it preaches universal brotherhood rather than loyalty to just your own race.

Oh, I know. At this point it seems to have migrated to tongue-in-cheek usage by both liberals making fun of the alt-right, and sometimes the alt-right themselves, when joking about politics.

Apparently, there’s an app for that.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this. Nobody calls John McCain, or Paul Ryan alt-right.