The American Talibans...

The American Talibans

Some sick puppies these people… I didn’t dare trying to post this in Great Debates.

Some choice pieces:

“The Christian community has a golden opportunity to train an army of dedicated teachers who can invade the public school classrooms and use them to influence the nation for Christ.” - James Kennedy (Center for Reclaiming America)

“The ‘wall of separation between church and state’ is a metaphor based on bad history, a metaphor which has proved useless as a guide to judging. It should be frankly and explicitly abandoned.” - William Renhquist, Chief Justice

“George Bush was not elected by a majority of the voters in the United States, he was appointed by God.” - Lt. Gen. William G. Boykin

The question is whether these rectal haberdashers are the exceptions to the normal population or indicative of it. I hope the former, I fear the latter.

Hearing US religious righties referred to as Taliban is about as tiresome as the Nazi card.

Godless pinko commies! :smiley:

I got about halfway down the first page before I had to quit reading for the sake of my blood pressure.

FriarTed, it’s not so much religious righties as it is those who want to replace the US government with a religious one. I’m sure there are some perfectly rational religious righties out there.

Somewhere.

But they don’t make the news.

Perhaps it is tiresome. However, if these statements are indicative of a real viewpoint, then it is a fair comparison.

Just visited the site, the sick thing is how the idiot who put it up grouped together people who have no connection with each other- decent Christians & extremist Christians & white supremacists- and somehow failed to have attributions for any of the quotes (some I know to be authentic & some that alert my BS detector unless I see documentation).

Yeah, well. What you’re seeing here is simply a typical Rashak Mani contribution to the boards. At least he finally seems to have figured out this kind of crap belongs in the Pit instead of Great Debates. His modus operandus over there generally includes little more than tossing out a link, and a brief commentary of how he feels about that link. If he’s true to his course, I can predict that he’ll not return to this thread with anything remotely resembling a substantive response until backed way into the corner. Hard to believe that an OP can actually be a non sequitur, buy Rahsak Mani is capable of just that - and has actually raised it to an accepted art form. He’s far, far, better at it than december ever was.

It’s also interesting that nothing else is available at that website without a password. Makes it impossible to see what else the authors of that particular page have to say, or what they’re all about, or allow us any way to judge their veracity.

Not to mention some of the quotes seem like they’re out of context. Where’s the whole speech the snippet was allegedly taken from?

And some, like Limbaugh’s are satirical.

I’m not doubting that asshats like Fred Phelps really said what they said, but some of those people don’t deserve to be lumped in with him.

Here is the cite for the most influential asshat: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=472&invol=38

When the CJ of SCOTUS says things like this we should all worry.

Is it just me, or does Beverly LaHaye look just like a younger version of Doris Roberts?

“I have to confess that it’s crossed my mind that you could not be a Republican and a Christian.” - Hillary Clinton, Richmond Times-Dispatch, 1997

That has crossed my mind as well.

Lib, this won’t end well for you. Here is a thread about what some rightwingwhackjobs may or may not be saying and you chime in with “Oh well look what Hillary said”. Or did I missunderstand you and you are saying that you agree with Hillary? If so then I agree with you and apologize in advance.

We are all, of course, grateful to Unc for keeping us focussed on the real issue here, which is the failings of Rash Man as an OP. This will keep us from wandering afield into such pointless trivia as whether or not these people represent a threat to the Republic as grave as that posed by the epidemic of Cognitive Dissonance. Personally, I think not, these people are really only concerned that we Americans are permitted to worship God in any manner they choose.

And, naturally, we cannot meaningfully proceed until we have the definitive Libertarian viewpoint on the question at hand.

Do you really think these people are harmless and well intentioned? That they want to allow satanic worship in schools or muslim prayer? I think they want to impose their myopic view on the rest of us.

I am also starting to think you are a PR person working for the Bush campaign.

Their feelings are best stated by the philosopher Bartholomew J. Simpson, “Christmas is a time when people of all religions come together to worship Jesus Christ.”

You may want to read that post again. More carefully this time.

Or you may want to sit back and enjoy the cool breeze provided by the light-speed whoosh travelling past.

I’m not much of one for bashing Republicans or Democrats, but thr Christian right in this country is scary.

Every day, I get a little more convinced that someday, someone is going to write a memoir about this era in American history that opens with, “In retrospect, none of us should have been surprised at what happened. The signs were all there for years before.”

Oh shit sorry Lici I didn’t catch the irony. I am an idiot and apologize.

Fuck off, 'luc. The link in the OP wouldn’t pass muster as a topic on the Mother Jones mojoblog.

The rest o’ ya can just take my words as a caution that if you’re expecting some kind of dialogue,or exchange,with Rashak Mani on this topic, you’re likely wasting your time.

While I’m gladdened that Rashak has finally found the proper forum for a great many of his pet topics and pointless OP’s, I’m saddened that he now has two forums where he can drop his turds.