IS GOD ALMIGHTY?

if your belief is that god is almighty and could do any thing then can he make a rock big enough that he cound`nt pick up?
thanks
brian and jim

The problem here is with your definition and the limiting effects of having to communicate a limited language. Almighty or omnipotent does not mean the ability to do anything, it is the ability to do all things which are “doable”. Just because something is describable by the English language does mean that it is “doable”. I guess you could say the English language is more powerful than God. :slight_smile:

Meriam-Webster dictionary:

Almighty:
1 often capitalized : having absolute power over all <Almighty God>
2 : relatively unlimited in power
3 : great in magnitude or seriousness

Omnipotent:
1 often capitalized : ALMIGHTY 1
2 : having virtually unlimited authority or influence

AS WE ARE TAUGHT THAT GOD IS ALMIGHTY ,BEING HE CAN DO ANYTHING.WE ARE NOT TAUGHT GOD IS ALMIGHTY DEPENDING ON WHICH DICTIONARY YOU READ.WE ALL KNOW WHAT WAS MEANT IN THE TEACHING OF THE CHURCH!. THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS LIMITED IN ITS ABILITY TO EXPRESS WHAT IS MEANT ,BUT THE QUESTION IS ,IS GOD LIMITED IN HIS ABILITY.

Please don’t use all caps.

[quote[GOD IS ALMIGHTY ,BEING HE CAN DO ANYTHING[/quote]

Well, again your problem is with language. What does do anything mean in their use in language?

Lets take the phrase “It is impossible…”

“It is impossible that unicorns exist.”

Is this true? Is it really impossible? Isn’t it possible that on some distant planet, in some distinct galaxy there are unicorns? Of course, but it is so remotely unlikely that we may as well call it impossible and just leave it at that and everybody, being reasonable human beings, will understand what we mean.

So again, the ability to “do anything” is a language efficient way of say “all things that are doable”. So the answer to your question is that if God exists (which he doesn’t) then He could do all things that are doable.

sorry about upper case,new to this thanks.
the question starts out if your belief is

It is my belief that Big Juju, if it exists, is infinite, and thus so beyond our comprehension that such questions are entirely meaningless.

Ok then can the Big Juju get lost (as in not knowing were it is)if not why not and if so can`t do all(taken from twilight zone)

Check the definition of “infinite” and you’ll understand why I find that to be a silly question.

ok the question is is god almighty now i could make a rock big enough i could not pick up(simply ring up ready mix concreate and ask them to deliver 1 cubic meter of concreate (all ingredients coming from rock except water but which is readily available)so being doable)so if i can do it god can.but like me he wouldnt be able to pick up the rock so the answer is no god is not almighty
ps their are two people here bri and jim this ones off jim other off bri will sign from now on.

If He were to try to make such a big enough rock, It would tend to crowd out the rest of the universe.

but not in the Big Juju`s universe

Many theists believe God is constrained by logic, that to be “almighty” you do not need to be able to do the literally impossible, like make a square circle or a married bachelor. So for them, God cannot make a rock so large he cannot lift it because it is a logical contradiction, yet he is still “almighty”.

First, God will make a rock so heavy that it cannot be moved, period. Then he will move the entire universe, and everything in it, except for the rock. Because the rock now has a new coordinate set, it has moved.

if your rock is the center point to your coordinates i.e.your point of origion then you haven`t moved everything else has

What coordinate system contains the universe?

The problem is not that we are constrained by limitations of our language, but by the limitations of the laws of physics. If such a thing as God did exist, it would be unlikely that he would bound by three dimensions, linear time, or even basic laws of reason as we know it. So I suppose that answer could be yes and no, both at the ame time.

the same one that says you can move the universe around said fixed point ie rock and then say it has moved but in reality as you say everything else has moved coordinits and the rock is still in same place so not moved

Look at it this way. The rock is on your coffee table there in England. God moves everything in the universe 384,403 kilometers. Now the rock is on the moon, but nothing else has changed. If you want to say that the moon and your coffee table are in the same place, you got some ‘splainin’ to do.

yes the rock is on the moon but the moon is now were the coffee table was and the rock is still in the same space as it was .brian
if god has created this rock which we agree he can not lift which was the sole purpose of creating the rock then why would he bother to move the universe because hes proved hes not almighty chill:D

But the rock is thousands of kilometers away from your coffee table! After the universe moves, you will not be able to prove that it did! In fact, from your reference frame, you see the rock moving as it races to the moon! :eek: