Is going to events where there will be singing, laughing and yelling a bad idea even post-vaccination

They’re starting to open up things like concerts and stand up comedy, but even if you’re vaccinated don’t acts like singing, yelling, laughing, etc shed more viruses than just simple talking? And with the Indian variant potentially being more infectious, that could be an issue too.

Is going to a stand up comedy show or a concert worse than going to an event where everyone is silent or just minor talking like a movie theater?

This raises a question I’ve been wondering about.

AT&T Stadium can seat up to 80K people. It’s technically indoors, but when you’re talking about a space that large, might it act more like the outdoors for the purposes of virus spreading? I mean, one big negative of the indoors is recycled air, and I don’t see how in such a space, you could be breathing in the air of someone on the other side of the “room”/building; it seems your greatest risk is the people in your immediate vicinity.

Can anyone clarify for me?

It’s always a bad idea if you hate noise like that.

I don’t think it’s a problem unless there are unvaccinated people in the audience.

This is why I support vaccine passports. Don’t go to a crowded concert if you haven’t gotten your shot yet, it’s just too risky.

What are “vaccine passports”? Is it that little card they give you, and write your name and date on, when you get your shot? And doesn’t everyone, in the US have one of those? Everyone I know got one.

As I understand it, here’s no such actual thing (yet) as a “vaccine passport,” though various people (both in and outside the U.S.) have debated the merits of creating one.

The record card that they give you when you get vaccinated (and there may be multiple formats for that; I’ve seen at least two different, legitimate, but very different ones) aren’t really meant to serve that purpose, though I have no doubt that some people are using it for that purpose. Also, there’s apparently a booming business in counterfeit cards.

Are you under the impression that everyone in the US has been vaccinated?

It’s almost certainly worse is the sense of “riskier”, But is the difference enough to matter to you? is the difference enough to matter to others? Those are the impossible questions.

Or more accurately, those are questions whose only answers are statistical. So once you can tell me your risk tolerance is 0.01% but not 0.011% chance of infection per event, then we could, in principle, answer whether either, neither, or both scenarios were acceptable to you.

I say in principle because we’re never going to have good statistics on this stuff at the granularity that could power individual fact-based decisions. It becomes mostly a matter of gut and the informal qualitative impression of the current risks that you gather from the experience of friends, and from what public health stats are available.

Speaking for me and me alone, and living in an area with plenty of non-vaxxers, I’m not interested enough in any indoor group activities to do any yet, regardless of the details. Since the Governor has blocked all public access to COVID stats in our local area, I don’t know how or when I’d have the data that would support a more nuanced or looser decision.

At the same time, by necessity of my job I do travel by air regularly. Which includes being in large indoor groups. But protected by FAA / TSA’s [all masks everywhere all the time] regulations. I figure I have enough exposure from work that skipping on movies or choirs is probably a smart way to arrive at a safe enough total monthly exposure. And “safe enough to be psychologically comfortable enough” is about the only decision-making standard any of us will ever have.

We don’t have vaccine passports in Canada, unfortunately.

I got a printed sticker (attached to a sheet of paper) with space for the second sticker. That is 8.5 x 11 inches, so obviously I can’t carry that around. They also emailed me a PDF that had the details (which vaccine, that it was the first shot, whether a second shot is required, etc).

That PDF printout is too large to fit in my wallet, so a vaccine passport would be putting the second PDF (when I get my second shot) onto my smartphone somehow. Obviously this is not great for someone who doesn’t use a smartphone. If someone asked me if I’m vaccinated when I’m about to go to a concert (or something) I could show them the PDF. It has my name but not my picture, so in theory someone could fraudulently use mine if they got their hands on it. (I wouldn’t distribute it. It has my name and date of birth, enough identity info to cause trouble if someone really wanted to do so.)

Yes, let’s pretend we didn’t see my previous sentence so that we may unnecessarily argue. :person_fencing:

Lets try this …

A “vaccine passport” is a conceptual idea for a universally recognized and nearly impossible to counterfeit thing that all governments, businesses, and people around the world would recognize and trust. Which would clearly prove who it’s assigned to it and whether or not that person has actually been vaccinated by who, where, with what, and when. And would have some clear way to prove that the person displaying it and the person it’s assigned to are really exactly the same person with no cheating possible.

That’s a “vaccine passport”. By analogy to the real paper international travel passport that is universally recognized, very hard to counterfeit or reassign to somebody else, and that all governments or businesses who have a need to validate them can do so electronically almost instantly. And many ordinary people can do a pretty good job of telling at least a bad fake from the real thing. And good fakes are very expensive (multiple thousand dollars) because they’re very hard to make.

The “proof of vaccination card” that various Americans including me have gotten from various clinics around the country are nothing of the sort. Anyone can fake one of those up in a few minutes. And they’re completely unverifiable. Many countries are similarly lax about how they authenticate all this.

Whether a vaccine passport is a physical document backed up by a government database or is a smartphone app backed up by a government database doesn’t really alter what it’s trying to do.

I think this is the only real answer we have, at least at the moment.

Add to that “how motivated are you to do the thing?”

I, personally, might skip a ballgame with 100% capacity right now. I’m just not that motivated to see a ballgame. Now the Rammstein concert in September that’s already bern delayed a year? Barring some major development with variants or something, I’m totally there.