Is grafitti really that bad?

Well This Land Is Your Land, This Land Is My Land, right? National Forest, National Parks, BLM, those are all public lands. So it’s fine, really. :slight_smile:

Murals should not be considered graffiti. Graffiti is more about tagging and/or defacing a building with random crap. The world of street ‘art’ surely exists along a spectrum.

As Proust had his madelines, @Alessan has his piss-scented subway cars…

I wasn’t sure if this needed a new thread but I’m curious what the some of the anti-graffiti crowd thinks about this situation that has recently been in the news.

I am generally against graffiti on private or public property, but my opinion changes when it comes to abandoned buildings. It’s kind of ridiculous that a city would waste resources to clean up a building that has sat unused and unfinished for more than 4 years. It feels like they should reallocate those resources to hold the developers (or their creditors) accountable instead of going after low level vandals.

See, I find that beautiful. An organic work of art.

But I also think that abandoned buildings, especially half-built ones, are a blight on urban life, ugly and depressing, and anything that adds some life and color to them is a blessing.

Well, I know here on the Dope a thread about imaginary graffiti you just had a wild hair thought of will get locked.

Altho’ you were a prolific muralist and maybe
You tagged a few trains as a dumbass kid. The few times you got away from home at night.

I think graffiti is beautiful, anyway. Gang sign I can do without.

I don’t like graffiti that defaces property, but when it’s allowed, it can be quite striking:
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

I haven’t kept track, so I don’t know if it’s still going on, but a few years back, a bunch of taggers shifted to stickers. The stickers are about 2"x3" and have names and clip art on them. They were (are?) mostly stuck to the areas around drive-thrus or at bus stops.

Anyone else see those?

Fairly often, around Atlanta.

We have taggers and gang sign, of course, but Atlanta also has a community of graffiti artists who merit the term - I went on a bike tour with one of them. We also have a vibrant mural scene, as well, although those are of course sanctioned by the city or private businesses that commission them.

There’s something beautiful about bringing life to abandoned spaces.

Austin also has a little bit of everything. We have taggers and territory markings but we also have muralists and graffiti artists.

Some folks have mixed feelings about the places that have evolved to appeal to the Instagram crowd but I still think they’re impressive.

I have. I think they’re more artistic because the artist has more time.
Then there’s the ones that are determined to be by one artist because they stick with a recognized theme.

Well, yeah, the alien on Guadalupe saying, “Hi how are you” is so iconic it’s on T-shirts and was preserved when the building was renovated.

I still think it’s crap.

I think the punishment should be allowing those grafitti’d to trash the painter’s house.

Naw, make graffiti artists remove the paint, “Here’s your crap 7th Generation cleaning agent with a broken handle and a dirty rag and a bucket with a hole. You’re going to need loads of elbow grease. Get to scrubbin’ son, this bridge isn’t going to clean itself and you got 6 more water towers to do today.”

I can’t stand graffiti. It is rarely ever any good, usually consisting of people just writing their names or gang sings, and even when it is it still tends to be an eyesore.

I agree, make them clean their own graffiti when they are caught.

There’s plenty of it around Melbourne.

When they go to the trouble to actually do something semi artistic, I don’t mind it and some of it is actually really good.

The dumbarses who just Tag stuff deserve a prostate exam with a cattle prod. Nothing but vandalism.

The Tel Aviv metropolitan area has lots of graffiti, but most of it is of the artistic and/or political sort, which I don’t mind that much. We don’t have much tagging at all. Either we don’t have any street gangs, or the one we have are kind of lame.

Hey, hey! I’ll have you know, women are perfectly capable of being vandals, too.

I’m sure a cattle prod up the butt would have a similar deterrent effect on a female :wink:

Fair 'nuff.