Is it bad to wash my motorcycle with a high presure hose?

I’m talking about with one of those things like at the “Do it yourself” carwashes?

I was at the carwash today and a guy drove by and told me that was bad for my bike? :dubious:

He didn’t give an explanation as to why though.

He’s right. High pressure spray will wash away lube from the drive chain and sprockets if your bike has them and force its way into cables and bearings, even sealed ones.

High pressure spray can also find its way past some gaskets and grease seals.

Hmm, wow learn something new. I’ve been doing it like that for years. Ironicly I just replaced the seals on my front forks.

High pressure water also can force moisture into the distributor, ignition module, and even into the connections of the spark plug wires. ANY of this can cause an eventual electrical problem which will leave you stranded one day or another.
Also, (I have experience with this!) water can seep into, and cause rust upon your clutch cable! If your clutch cable snaps while you’re riding you’ll truely be ass invaded!:eek:

Ride safe.

You can stop though without a clutch. Though not easy you can downshift without pulling in on the clutch and get it into neutral. I’m not sure what would happen if you turned off the bike though, that might help out too. Lucky for me this hasn’t happened to me, though I have had other transmission problems.

A friend of mine is a certified Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzzi tech. He said pretty much the same thing as everybody else about the seals and said the worst is on the o-rings on the chain.

Do what I do, wait for rain.

For the same reasons you aren’t supposed to wash the exposed engine of your car with a high pressure hose either.

pkbites - “Also, (I have experience with this!) water can seep into, and cause rust upon your clutch cable! If your clutch cable snaps while you’re riding you’ll truely be ass invaded!”

As a teenager about forty years ago I had a Honda 150 and a friend and I decided to spend a few hours sightseeing in the nearby town of Palm Beach, Florida. We were having a great time riding all over the island looking at mansions and scenery and the ocean until my clutch cable snapped at the lever. That dampened my spirits and brought our outing to a screeching halt.
Here we were on a small island miles from home with no idea where the nearest Honda shop might be but it was certainly not on Palm Beach. Getting home meant miles and miles of stop-and-go traffic along US1 with no clutch and that was unthinkable. Jamming the bike into first gear without the clutch could result in damage and/or a wheelie and loss of control if the engine was revving high enough, or stalling if it wasn’t. Abandoning my bike and riding home on the back of my bud’s bike didn’t even occur to either of us so what to do? What to do?
Then I thought of the electric starter and how ocassionally I had started the engine while it was in gear. The bike would jerk forward slowly as the starter turned the engine over and after a couple of seconds the engine would start. I figured I could do that to get going. Once moving, shifting gears without the clutch is easy and when I had to stop for a traffic light I could just put the tranny in neutral and brake to a stop, kill the engine and put it in first again. My buddy and I agreed it was worth a try.
Well, the plan worked great and we made it home safely. My trusty Honda started easily at each stoplight and it was no problem shifting without the clutch. We did slow or speed up to try to hit green lights when we could, though. I got a new cable in a few days and installed it and all was well.

A problem at least as big as getting water in places it doesn’t belong is getting soapy water in places it doesn’t belong. Detergent can cause corrosion.