Is it possible I've missed out on this Palin person?

So you can’t point to any specific thing she said in an effort to claim foreign policy expertise, it’s just that you’ve chosen to interpret it that way. Correct?

a.) How can a satirization be accurate? By definition satirizations are a distortion of fact.

And in the sense you mean it, how can it be accurate if leftie hotheads present it as true and their hapless audience accepts it that way. I’d wager there are millions of people in this country who think she actually said that, and the reason is that the satire has been making the rounds as truth ever since it aired.

Thanks. Don’t know where the 35 came from. (Still, I was watching SNL before you were… ;))

She brought it up repeatedly as a direct answer to questions about her foreign policy credentials. yes, the US and Russia are “neighbors” across the Bering Straight. So fucking what? What does that have to do with the question she was asked?

Satirizations are accurate if they highlight an essential truth. They are truth by exaggeration. Tina Fey’s characterization was a fair simplification of what Palin said.

Who presents the Tina Fey line as true?

I’ve watched SNL since its original cast, by the way.

Dio, you may be trying too hard to defend Tina Fey here.

Starving Artist, you’re cherry-picking Palin quotes.

“As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border.” --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska’s proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS’s Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008

Oh, & since I got that quote from this page, a couple more reasons I deplore her:

“We used to hustle over the border for health care we received in Canada. And I think now, isn’t that ironic?” --Sarah Palin, admitting that her family used to get treatment in Canada’s single-payer health care system, despite having demonized such government-run programs as socialized medicine that will lead to death-panel-like rationing, March 6, 2010

“The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama’s ‘death panel’ so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their ‘level of productivity in society,’ whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil.” –-Sarah Palin, in a message posted on Facebook about Obama’s health care plan, Aug. 7, 2009

In short, she misrepresented the nature of health care reform to deny subsidized health care to people in Middle America. How many now think that Canada has death panels? She boosted that little bandwagon enthusiastically, & she hurt Americans. As someone who does not believe in a personal afterlife, I want her to suffer in this one until she repents, loudly, publicly, & repeatedly.

Now you’re being silly. If I’m the governor of Florida and I’m in the running for vice-president and I make a comment to the effect of Florida being neighbors with the Bahamas, would you expect people to automatically interpret that to mean I was saying the U.S. is neighbors with the Bahamas? If I were the governor of Wisconsin and I made some remark about Canada, my state’s neighbor to the north, would you be thinking in terms of Texas and California and Hawaii as you were listening to what he said?

I don’t think so.

I think anyone following the interview and not vested in trying to make Palin look bad would know instantly why she brought it up. Gibson was angling to try to box her into an awkward situation by pitting her support of Georgia against the desires of Russia. She brought up Russia’s proximity and her view of them as neighbors in order to show that she was not antagonistic toward Russia and felt that Russia and the Western powers would benefit mutually by getting along well with each other. This isn’t rocket science.

When could she have ‘refudiated’ it? Are you saying that the very occasion that gave rise to her comments being miscontrued was the same occasion that gave her the opportunity to correct it? She couldn’t have known there was anything to refudiate until after the interview aired, could she?

She was trying to do several things: avoid being hemmed in by Gibson vis-a-vis Georgia and Russia; state publically that she favored good relationships between the West and Russia; and deflect Gibson’s question about her foreign policy expertise. Those are reality of what she was trying to do. In my opinion a person could legitimately make the observation that she was trying to avoid answering Gibson’s question because she had next to no foreign policy experience or knowledge, and they would be correct. I have no problem however with her giving Gibson a non-answer because non-answers to difficult questions have become de riguer for all politicians lately, most notably Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

On this statement you won’t get much objection from me.
[/quote]
As much as Palin would like to get publicity without without being tied to any specific content, she doesn’t get to make that call.
[/QUOTE]
Whether she does or doesn’t is completely beside the point. She was asked what she was asked and she said what she said. Her comments should stand or fall based upon what she actually said and meant and not the distortions and lies that her opponents turn them into. I have no objection to people who want to criticize her for her lack of experience or her failure to give substantial answers to reporters’ questions. What I object to are her words being distorted or lied about by her opponents in a deliberate attempt to make her and her supporters look stupid.

Now having said all this, I gotta go. I’ll have to catch you later, foolsguinea, but having given your post just a quick glance and not clicked the link, I have to say that the Putin quote as posted does not support your interpretation of it.

Of course. I’m not sure why you think there’s any kind of distinction there, or why anyone should think there’s embarrassing about subbing in “the US” for the name of the closest state. As a matter of geographical fact, the US and Russia are “neighbors” across the the Bering Strait. Why do you think that’s a ridicuolus thing to say?

That’s not the same thing, but if he said the US and Canada were neighbors, he would be correct.

Oh noes, he asked a Vice Presidential candidate a question about how to deal with a difficult foreign policy issue. Poor, poor Sarah. They would never ask HUSSEIN Obama any hard foreign policy questions…oh, wait, they DID repeatedly, throught the campaign, and he answered them coherently. Where do you righties get the idea that it’s somehow unfair to ask a political candidate substantive questions?

No, but I would think that you brought it up because it had some relevance to what we were talking about. If you state specifically that you’re closer to the Bahamas than the rest of the U.S., then that proximity must mean something to you. Have you met Bahamians, is your state a gateway to people travelling there, does that impact your economy, do you follow the same hurricane forecasts, grow the same crops and compete in the same markets? There must be some reason you’d bring it up. In a political interview with a Vice Presidential candidate, on the topic of foreign policy, the clear inference is that proximity leads to experience and judgment that will be useful when it comes to setting foreign policy.

She was running for the vice presidency. It’s entirely possible that she would be in a position to make choices that balanced the interests of Georgia against Russia, and those choices would have to be backed up by the full force of the U.S. government and military. Under the circumstances, it is precisely Gibson’s job to ask her those sorts of questions.

I’ve heard many people defend Palin’s performance in interviews as being the result of “gotcha journalism”. Please give me an example of a question that Charlie Gibson or Katie Couric could ask that would NOT be gotcha journalism.

Yes, that is exactly what I’m saying. Palin made (for whatever reason) a statement about Alaska’s proximity to Russia. Gibson followed that up with a question asking her to clarify and expand upon the statement. It was quite clear from the question what his inference was. If that was not the meaning that she intended, she had ample opportunity to explain herself further right then and there.

I can’t believe anyone would post this as a defense of Palin. I think it’s an illustration of how incredibly unqualified she is.

She was asked an easy question about a major foreign policy issue of the day - and she couldn’t answer it. Apparently all that her handlers were able to get into her brain was “keep an eye on Russia”.

Here’s a transcript from her interview with Katie Couric:

These were not “gotcha” questions. These were easy questions about legitimate political issue to a person who was running for Vice President. And she was unable to answer them.

lol at this exchange from the thread BrainGlutton linked in the second post…

doctored a bit for effect

Any truth to the theory that the conservative Democrats of today were the Conservative Republicans of 50 years ago?

:confused: No, the conservative Democrats of 50 years ago are the conservative Republicans of today. They changed parties in the '70s and '80s in the wake of Nixon’s “Southern Strategy.”

Your co-worker is wrong. Palin is pretty stupid. There’s a fair amount of bipartisan agreement there.

As a Republican, I’m terrified that she’ll get the party nomination in 2012. I could have lived with her being as useless as Biden is at the moment (McCain hasn’t croaked yet and my 2008 bet on him living out his potential term is already almost half won) but…I welcome her to say many more stupid things in the next year or so, and have a few more scandals, so the worse case scenerio will be her running as a third party (Tea Party) candidate. Of course, a third party candidate could win, and that’d have the bonus of solving that whole global warming problem for us when hell froze over.

First term only, though. I think the last eligible sitting president who didn’t run for re-election was Johnson.