Is It Possible To Be A Good Parent And Have A Good Career?

Do you think that it is possible for a person to be both a good parent and have a good career, at the same time?

If someone has a successful career going for them, usually they are putting in lots of overtime. This means that not only will they be at home with their families fewer hours per day, but that by the time they do get home they are likely to feel tired and emotionally drained. Also, they may be distracted from their family life because they are too busy worrying about what’s happening at work tomorrow.

And what happens when they are needed both at work AND at home? What if there is an emergency at home with one of the kids, and there is also a deadline coming up at work?? How do they prioritize, and still manage to perform both tasks well???

What do you think?

Thanks.

Nope.

A child needs much time and attention.

I do think it is possible if one has a very flexible schedule for work, but it is the very rare case (in my opinion). I suppose if one has a high enough skillet that a few hours of focused time a day can produce excellent results (psychologist comes to mind).

Nope.

A child needs much time and attention.

I do think it is possible if one has a very flexible schedule for work, but it is the very rare case (in my opinion). I suppose if one has a high enough skillet that a few hours of focused time a day can produce excellent results (psychologist comes to mind).

A good career requires lots of overtime? I guess I don’t have one, them. <thinking back> My dad rarely, if ever, did OT. My husband has, on occasion, but he mostly has regular hours. We’ve been present at all of our daughter’s important school and team events, either one or both of us. We’ve given up some things for her, and she’s had to miss out on some things because of choices we made.

I don’t believe “good parents” live for their children. In fact, I think they do harm to children who grow up thinking the world revolves around their young selves. Good parents provide for their children, teach their children, prepare their children to be productive members of society, and stay involved in their kids’ lives. But good parents also have their own lives, including careers. They make the balancing act work - that’s what makes them good parents.

My mother was—and is—an excellent parent and had a career. I don’t know how “good” a career it was: she worked for 30 years in high school administration, which would have me slitting my wrists. But she practically kept that school running, and was a lifeline to a lot of her students, till she retired about five years ago. She was also a good role model for my sister and I—sure, she couldn’t “be there” for us 100% of the time, but we understood that her job was important, and never felt slighted. She also gave us a good work ethic.

My parents did it.

Four times.