Is it possible to be allergic suddenly to pulled pork?

Happy birthday, @Qadgop_the_Mercotan

This seems really fast. Fast enough to be an allergic reaction (noting that there were almost certainly other ingredients in that which could cause a reaction besides the pork).

That said this is the wrong place for advice on this. Allergic reactions can be serious medical issues.
Ask your doctor and go from there.

Medical advice is best suited to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Thank you my friend. Your advice is always welcomed. I think you and Whack A Mole have the right idea in that a consultation with my doctor maybe in order.

Someone asked if the pork was from the same place and it was. A local place which I’ve eaten at many many times over the years.

What concerned me the most was the sudden i
Onset of symptoms. When I say say bite, I mean I don’t think the food has barely traveled to my stomach before I get the giant “gas bubble” and within a minute I’m throwing up. And I continued heaving until every last trace of the offending item was expelled.

I should also mention that my nose became very runny as well. Also, I had bacon several times this week with no ill effect.

Anyways, it’s now almost 3am, I woke up for some reason and fell much better. I’m actually hungry! Maybe a late night run to the refrigerator is in order. I’ll have anything except pork!

Thank you everyone for your answers and concern. As always it’s very much appreciated.

A lot of marinades and mixes used on slow-cooked meats use soy sauce as a tenderizer. Is it possible you have a soy allergy?

As someone with some epic allergies I’d like to repeat Qadgop’s suggestion of claritin or benadryl because those target the allergic reaction causing the problem and not just the symptoms. But hey, I’m not the doctor here.

Wow, if we try to analyze marinades and sauces for the OP we could really go down the rabbit hole. There are so very, very many items that could be a problem (soy sauce also normally has wheat, so that could be a problem, then there are all the potential spices and additives…)

About the only really solid advice I would give is “don’t eat any more pulled pork from that particular place”.

Did you eat at/from this restaurant frequently before this episode? Ask the owner if anything may have changed in the recipe that would have affected you now but not previously. As your episode didn’t appear life threating (although you may have felt like you wanted to die) try a small order from them and try a few bites and see what happens.

Also, are you allergic to any other food items that may have been put in the pulled pork? Back when I was in collage I worked for a local restaurant known for their homemade salad dressings. We had a regular customer get really sick one time shortly after eating there even though she ordered the same thing almost every time. She knew right away she was having an allergic to shellfish and further investigation found that the salad prep cook had added worcestershire sauce (that contains anchovies/fish) to the dressing she ate in his own words “to spice it up”. Luckily she recovered and a notice was put in the kitchen "Follow the recipes to the letter! Do not change ingredients! It is a food safety issue if we can’t tell are customers with food allergies what is actually in the food. DO NOT CHANGE THE RECIPIES!!!

My point was people should not seek important medical advice on the internet and should be talking to their doctor.

Internet is fine for curiosity but not the place you want to bet your health on.

Food allergies can be lethal and if one is suspected that person should consult their doctor. Not us.

My post wasn’t a reply to you specifically, and that point was made in the very first response. It’s policy to move all questions about personal medical issues from GQ to IMHO for exactly that reason. We used to just close them, and sometimes I still do if the issue is very serious. As anything else here, caveat lector.

Sorry…my indicator…thing…that says someone responded to me said you responded to me.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what that counter on my login icon is telling me.

It’s possible that I hit the “Reply” below your post instead of the “Reply” to the full thread. If so, sorry. My post applied to the thread in general, not to your post specifically. (On the other hand, I did reply to you in a different thread, on the Supreme court.)

I saw. Message received.

Okay, Update:

The next day my I’m feeling better and my wife made beans and hotdogs for lunch. Once bite of the hotdogs and I’m back to throwing up again. Wow!

Today went out to eat, had a cheeseburger and ordered bacon to see what would happen. Nothing!? Absolutely fine with bacon, although a lot of what I found on Google said for some reason, maybe because it’s cured, bacon doesn’t seem to bother.

So, I guess the only reasonable thing to do us to make a Dr. appointment next week and see if she has an answer.

The tragic part of all this is I can live just fine without pulled pork. But I absolutely LOVE Beanies and Weanies. Dammit.

Two words: Hebrew National.

IANA medical anything but IMO … good idea to see the doc; reactions that abrupt and violent are not to be toyed with.

I’m not sure what kind of hot dog you were eating, but the better ones around here are all beef. The less good ones could have anything in them. Check the ingredient list on whatever you ate.

Yes. I second this.

It may be not the meat or its origin but rather something commonly added to meats. Something hot dogs and pulled pork have in common.

If it IS an additive then you might still be able to enjoy your beanie weenie IF you can pay close attention to what sort of weenies are mixed with the beanies.

Just going “organic” won’t necessarily help if that additive is permitted in organic foods. Just going “Hebrew National” won’t help if the additive is kosher.

“Cured” or “not cured” won’t matter to a pork allergy. It very much might matter to a different intolerance/allergy.

I wish you luck. Having problems with food is absolutely no fun at all, and sometimes frightening.

Ya’ll are assuming pork is the problem, but if he ate bacon with no problem then the problem is NOT pork. There is something else going on and he needs to figure it out. Otherwise, just opting for all beef sausage might still have him exposed to whatever addictive/spice/whatever is triggering him if it is also something allowed in all beef stuff.

While I whole-heartedly agree that Hebrew National doggies are addictive. I’m guessing you meant additives.

There are million food additives that you can become intolerant of and the food processing industry is damn surreptitious about sneaking them in. Celery juice ? Sounds innocuous, right? Actually, that is the same end result as MSG. Guarantees me a migraine every time. There’s about 30 ingredients that can do that and one of them is just about guaranteed to sneak into many foods I wish to buy. If it is processed I have to read the fine print and parse every label. 9 times out of ten, it goes back on the shelf.

Find a really good butcher shop, ask for a cut of pork carved with a fresh knife or cleaver. Cook it, try it. If your body reacts, you have your culprit. If the pure pork goes ok, now the detective work begins. Google every processing ingredient, dig out what other names that ingredient goes by. Many times it is easier to consult a medical nutritionist or credentialed dietician to sort that all out. My regional grocery store chain has dietitians on staff and you can make an appt with them to literally walk around the store with you and point out what to eat and what to avoid and why.

Yes. Damn autocorrect is getting sneakier.