Is it true rabbits have double front teeth?

I’ve just heard that from a guy who is sketchy about the details. Maybe one behind the other? Like people with “over crowding” in their jaws, only more regular?

He wouldn’t be thinking of some other animal? Woodchuck or beaver?

No Rabbits do not have two sets of front teath.

There is an interesting condition called “wolf teeth” however. Thats when the teeth do not quit growing and curl. This usually means death for the bunny.The only way for it not to, they starve, is sheer chance and a pair of side cutters.
The condition is hereditary so any commertial rabbit with the condition is put down.Any pet with the problem should not be allowed to breed.

They do not have two sets of front teeth either.
commercial
commercial
commercial

GN Dude,

My rabbits teeth are lined up just like humans are, with no teeth behind any others. I think you friend might be mixed up a little.

Rabbits teeth are different in that the front teeth are always growing. If a pet rabbit does not get a chance to gnaw a little wood (like treebark or more likely his cage) the teeth can grow long enough to inhibit eating. They can also grow into the gums or through the bunny’s lip area and cause big problems. Most rabbits will take care of this by gnawing. A vet can trim them if a bunny has excessively long teeth.

Years ago a buddy of mine, a Fish & Wildlife graduate, told me that continuously growing teeth are a defining characteristic of all rodents, e.g., rabbits, beaver, rats, mice, porcupines, etc.

Cheers,
Hodge

I don’t know of any other animal,except sharks, that have double sets of teeth.
I know beaver don’t and I’ll let scylla answer for groundhogs:)

Erm, I need to correct myself here. I just went to the House Rabbit society’s website where I learned that rabbits, in fact, do have two sets of front, upper teeth.

On this page in the second paragraph of #2 it says that they do have these second teeth, but that they are much smaller and cannot be seen as easily as the others.

Well, I’ll be…

Three Bunny Mama
I’ve been around rabbits for years and I didn’t know that.
Nice site though. Maybe some of the 4Hers I am supposed to lead can use that info. We don’t have house rabbits but a bunch of the kids do.

from Is it a Hare or a Rabbit?

And for those who always wondered:

When I saw this thread topic, all I could hear was Gold Leader saying, “Switch deflectors to double front!”

rabbits are not rodents, they are lagomorphs

three bunny, do you really have 3 house rabbits?

Lost - Yes, I have three spoiled rotten bunnies. They were houserabbits, but they decided they didn’t like our choice in new carpet and have since made it their sole purpose in life to uncover the wood floors again. So they are now yardbuns.

When I got my first buck, I tried to learn all I could about them. I read everything I could about rabbits, found out about the H.S.R., etc. I’m still learning, though. I’m ashamed that I hadn’t learned about the extra teeth thing yet…

I’ll have to make a carrot sacrifice to El-ahrairah…

Heh… carrot sacrifices :slight_smile:

I have 3 also, and am planning my new house/cabin that will have no chewable carpet. I take back what I said about them not being rodents :wink:
They’re so cute when they’re not chewing the house to shreds.

When I saw the thread, I was reminded of my comparative vertebrate anatomy class. Rabbits were “removed” from the rodent order (it is order isn’t it?) some years ago when someone finally looked at their teeth and noticed they were more like horses and elephants than rodents. I think rodents have one set of incisors while horses have two. Since rabbits have two sets (not counting those strange ones behind) they are thought to be more closely related to horses…hence the new order lagomorph.

I can confirm that rabbits do in fact have two pairs of upper front incisors. The second set is tiny and located behind the main pair. I have seen them in skulls. It is one of several ways in which they differ from true rodents.

Rabbits are not particualarly closely related to either horses or elephants, it’s just that they are not that closely related to rodents either.