Is Ok OK now?

I, for one, am firmly in camp OK.

I’ve also recently read this book about the history of the word, which I can recommend.

More specifically, I’m pretty sure it gets capitalized automatically by the texting software (as texting is the main places where I see people write “ok.”)

“m’kay?” is definitely not OK.

Informal places for sure, but also more frequently in OK buttons in web apps.

Interesting. I think I see “okay” the least frequently of all of those, except probably “O.K.” Also, “kind of old”? Is that supposed to be pejorative? Anyway, I doubt “OK/O.K.” is that much older than “okay”, and neither is as old as “kind”, “of”, or “old”.

That’s the weight of a photon.

Well, if numbers of web app makers are using Ok, I’d say that indicates its acceptance in colloquial usage. The question is then what are the numbers? 2? 10? 200?

“M’kay” is New England dialect as represented in print, and is much older than South Park. Alice Tilton’s 1940s detective Leonidas Witherall regularly used “m’kay” as a marker of his heritage, e.g. She wasn’t alone in having Bostonians say this, and some English did as well.

Rodgers and Hammerstein are turning over in their garves.

But not the temperature.

It’s also the gold content of a photon.

My techie wonk friend says that (for texting, etc) “k” is rude, and “OK” is marginal, so she says use “kk” or “okay”.

I never used “k” but still, I try and use “okay” or sometimes “A-OK!”.

I go with “okee” myself.

And for many decades, going all the way back to the mid-1920s, the used car section at Chevy dealerships was branded as “OK Used Cars”. It was sort of a precursor to the modern “Certified Pre-owned” concept.

Which really illustrates how the meaning of “ok” has evolved from meaning “there are no problems” to meaning essentially “mediocre” in some contexts. I’m sure GM was using the former meaning (I suspect the other meaning didn’t exist back then). But I have to admit when I see “OK Used Cars” today I tend to think “I don’t want as used car that just ‘ok’”. In fact there’s some ad campaign, I don’t remember what it’s for, with the tag line “Don’t settle for ‘just ok’”.

Whenever I’m texting, if I type “ok” more often than not autocomplete changes it to “okay”. So I just go with it.

Okee-dokee, Pokey.

Holy shit.

Damn typos! :grin:

Wow, so she was totally right. Good to know. Thanks.

Something about that article bugged me. It seems to anticipated that its readers won’t believe them. That suggests that the trend is not quite as widespread as they indicate. I suspect that this is just true among young people on the forefront of texting slang.

I find that people aren’t as judgemental as these types of overeager posts seem to indicate. No kid expects adults to use their slang properly, for example.

It’s also just slightly less memory than that of a Commodore VIC-20.

Where the hell did “kk” come from, and how is it an acceptable substitute for “ok”? That’s just downright weird.

I’ve used kk (or okay) forever but it’s likely because I text with my kids and grandkids. I find it hard to believe I’m doing this right, but woohoo!

I also use fewer periods when texting. Man, that’s hard for me.