Is pre-Euro money still good?

I have the equivalent of $15-20 in pre-Euro Dutch Guilders. Is it still worth anything? Can it be exchanged for U.S. currency?

As far as I know, banks are required to take pre-Euro currency indefinitely. Sorry no cites to prove it but I recall hearing something to that effect on a radio broadcast when the Euro was first introduced. However, and herein lies the rub, I’m pretty sure you have to go to an in-country bank (Robobank for example) and can only exchange the cash for Euro.

I’m sure there is an extended period during which you can exchange your pre-euro currency. For several years, the Euro was only used for inter-country transfers in Europe. However, you may have to present the currency to a dutch bank to exchange them. Odds are, they aren’t used in ordinary transactions anymore.

http://www.channels.nl/knowledge/17475.html says they can only be exchanged at a particular bank in Amsterdam.

There was a period of time when they would accept either Euro or pre-Euro currency, but that stopped sometime in early 2001, IIRC.

There are a few banks – very few – that will allow conversion, but they are certainly in-country.

In each country, the national Central Bank will exchange national currency for euro for a period into the future. In the case of the Netherlands the cutoff date for accepting coins is the start of 2007, and for paper money is the start of 2032. So you can exchange your currency, but only in the Netherlands.

See http://www.euro.gov.uk/keyfacts.asp for details for each participating country.

Seems to be different in every country in the Eurozone. In Germany you kann exchange old D-Mark coins and notes in every Landeszentralbank (there should be one per Bundesland). A far as I know there is no limit in the future, so when you find a 100 DM-note in 2134 they should pay about 51 Euros. I actually don’t believe it.

Just a week ago I saw a sign in a C&A store, that they will still accept D-Mark notes.

Just ask a bank (one that operates all around the world) if they can still change you the money, as they can most certeinly convert it to “real” money in the Netherlands.

I found a 100 guilder note that had fallen behind some furniture a year ago and a friend who was going to NL took it and was able to cash it for me. I gather I acted just in time. I do know a Russian who found US$1000, series 1906 (large bills the size of IBM punch cards–no conicidence), buried (yes, really) inside an old mattress that had belonged to his grandmother, and was able to get them cashed at the US consulate, no problem. Of course, all he got were 1000 1990 dollars, which were probably worth less than a tenth of the original value of the notes, but that is why burying in a mattress is a mug’s game.

The money had been buried in St. Petersburg and was found in St. Petersburg, but in between it had been in Petrograd and Leningrad.

I was reading the other day that the Irish government is concerned about the amount of old currency still unaccounted for. With its blessing, one of the supermarket chains is going to accept punts again for a limited time (Superquinn and I can’t remember how limited, if any Irish dopers are wondering).

Probably my only chance for getting rid of my last £1.17, actually.

I understand that actually, the central banks had estimated quite exactly how much money would be unaccounted for (and though I can’t remember the figures, that was an impressive amount. And the governments aren’t that worried about it, since the central banks will have to pay them back this money now or at some point in the future. Which will be a blessing for the national budgets.
Concerning the OP, I read several times on travel boards that no US banks would exchange the former european currencies. That will be done only by the central banks of the corresponding countries.