Is Santa Claus Magic?

Uh, yeah, because the sort of Christians that are anti-Harry Potter are totally down with the intercession of saints?

Well, sure it’s accepted by most Christians. I wasn’t asking about them. I was asking about the minority of Christians who find Harry Potter evil.

Well, all I can say is I’ve come into contact with leaflets and tracts by those same Christians who say ‘let your kids watch Lord of the Rings instead!’

There’s a DVD here and one of the points are as follows:

But Harry Potter haters aren’t a specific group with a specific mindset. You can go to any church and find one or two who aren’t comfortable with it. People are diverse, and you may find some Christians who hate all forms of magic apart from the miracles Jesus performed, but I don’t think that’s ordinary.

The “Harry Potter is evil” type Christians are a much larger minority than those who won’t teach about Santa. (For a while, it seemed like official Southern Baptist doctrine, for example.) As mentioned above, it’s a witchcraft thing. (Actually, I think it was combined with how unearthly popular it seemed. When something seems to be about witchcraft, and is actually popular, some people think Satan must’ve made it popular.)

That said, I did have a roommate who was completely against magic. He believed Santa, The Lord of the Rings, and even Narnia were of the devil. He got to a point where he was allowing himself to play video games, but he refused to use magic in them. Did I mention he was playing Morrowind? He almost beat the game without any magic whatsoever (including potions and magical items), but since you have to use a certain magical item at the end, he wound up just glitching the boss into being stuck in the lava everytime he saw him. He declared that the guy had went to hell, and went back and killed all the magic users as divine retribution (except for the one guy who apologized–he got forgiveness.)

Huh?

I’ve spent most of my life in two conservative evagelical Protestant churches- the Christian & Missionary Alliance and the Assembly of God. I’ve had friends in Southern Baptist, Nazarene & other C.E.P. churches. While some individuals & even some congregations may denounce him, and while many may (probably accurately) think there’s too much emphasis on Santa & not enough on Jesus, I have yet to see an actual C.E.P. church of any significance denounce Santa Claus.

I heard somewhere the Bible itself was a magic book, written in a deliberately hypnotic code to brainwash and cause allegiance to the codes and plans of the authors. I heard the secret is kept “by the royal bloodline”. It does hypnotise and suspend the judgement of quite a few followers. Are they insane? Or is it the book itself strategically designed to cause allegiance.

No, it’s not magic, and there’s nothing really to indicate that it was written in a way in which it would hypnotise people into believing it. This is not possible for one rather important reason, most of the people who read it aren’t reading it how it was originally written. If there really was nefarious intentions behind how it is constructed, then it would only work in the original languages. It is quite a stretch of the imagination to believe that the many different biblical translations available today all are designed to lull the reader into abandoning rationality.

I think abandonment of logic when approaching any spiritual matters has several other, far less devious though no less destructive causes. But that’s GD territory.

It’s important to note that many other publications inspire people to believe many weird and wonderful things, and the phenomenon isn’t contained to just Christianity, or even religion at large. I suppose I’m intrigued though, where did you ‘hear’ this from? Hearsay is perhaps even more damaging to rationality than believing written words because they’re lucid and clever prose. Before you put forward and idea like that, it’s probably better that you have cites to back up or at least explain the claims in more explicit detail.