Is South Park dead?

I’ve been a fan since the beginning, but this season was terrible. Imho, they just don’t have the desire anymore to put out a quality show.

I don’t think so. I actually thought this season was pretty good, with a few episodes being merely average.

The ones I thought were good:

The Coon
Margaritaville
Fishsticks
Pinewood Derby
Fatbeard
Dead Celebrities
WTF
The F Word
Pee (yes, I said I liked Pee)

The ones I thought were OK, but average:

The Ring
Eat, Pray, Queef
Butters’ Bottom Bitch
Whale Whores
Dances With Smurfs

I didn’t find any of the episodes this season to be unwatchable, like I have in previous seasons. You could say for any show with South Park’s longevity that the writers are running out of ideas. And South Park really only has the two writers, Matt and Trey. And they’ve cranked out 195 episodes so far. People have been lamenting the quality of the Simpsons for far longer, and the Simpsons have had twice as many episodes and far more writers.

And like you, I’ve been a fan since the beginning.

They don’t have a team of writers now? I always figured that eventually they got more writers than just Matt and Trey. But if not…well, good for them.

I think they do, but a vast majority are written by them.

I always think they are dead, then they will hit a home run. Imaginationland from a couple years ago is their best episodes(or mini-movie, really.)

I like the one with Barack Obama and John McCain post-election.

This year was weak, though, I admit that.

Of this season episodes, I found far more misses than hits

I liked;
The Coon
Margaritaville
Whale Whores
Pinewood Derby
Dead Celebrities

Meh episodes:
The F Word
The Ring
Fatbeard
Butters’ Bottom Bitch
Dances With Smurfs

I hated:
Fishsticks
Pee
Eat, Pray, Queef
WTF

If we’re including both “halves” as one season:

Good:
The Ring
The Coon
Margaritaville
Pinewood Derby
Fatbeard
Butters’ Bottom Bitch
Dances With Smurfs

Average:
Fishsticks
WTF
The F Word

Bad:
Eat, Pray, Queef
Dead Celebrities
Whale Whores
Pee

It certainly seemed as if the second half of the season was not as good as the first.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if South Park is just something they do for the money at this point. They only do half seasons and the show is off the air for 8 months of of the year. If they still found doing the show invigorating, they’d be making more episodes.

South Park has the ability to crank out a story while the issue is hot. Few shows can do that. They have done some great shows. One of my favorites was the Johnathon Edwards episode.

The medium, the Presidential candidate, or the Puritan preacher?

The first. He was the biggest douche in the universe.

I’m not sure I get this criticism. If they were only doing it for the money, wouldn’t they do more episodes per year? Shows like Dexter and Mad Men do even less episodes per year than South Park – do you find them creatively bankrupt as well?

I understand they have a porpoise in a tank full of balls inscribed with fragments of smug libertarian screeds, volumes of Truly Tasteless Jokes from the '80s, Youtube comments, and ratings Butt-hurt.

This porpoise produces treatments for 1/3 of their episodes. It’s not hard to spot which ones.

Yeah, episodes like Pee and Fish Sticks were pretty lame, but I wouldn’t say it’s jumped the shark quite yet. I’d still much rather watch it than current episodes of the Simpsons.

If he was a medium how could he be the largest ?