Is there a modern equivalent to "I made you a mix tape"?

For IMHO a sweet little romance about two contemporary teenagers’ shared love of music and how it brings them closer together, I’d recommend: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - Wikipedia

This Christmas I picked out a dozen mushy love songs and put them on a flash drive designed to look like a cassette tape. I actually had fun making it, because it takes away all the painful parts about making a mix tape and lets you focus on choosing the right songs and song order.

Get the hell off my lawn!

Et tu, Munch?

:wink:

I watched this 2 days ago and this is the second reference on here since then. What’s up with that?

And yes, it is sweet.

Looks like I just found my husband’s anniversary present this year.

I made him a mix CD 8 years ago when we first got together and he still listens to it. I have been desperately wanting to give him a new list to reflect our maturing relationship, with a cheesy title like ‘‘Love in the Time of Grad School.’’ This is perfect.

I made you a mash up of some songs I think you might like with some video that I also think you might like. <youtube link>

Here, let me submit that link to reddit so the whole internet can point and laugh…

I Downfalled this for you…

I made my Boyfriend a Mix CD for Valentines Day.

Mix CDs are still the rage. While buying CDs isn’t as popular as it used to be, pretty much everyone still has a CD player and a CD burner in their computer. I’ve thought about doing it on a flash drive, but they aren’t as cheap as CDs, and there’s extra fun to labeling the CD and putting the songs in a certain order. The only annoying part is getting the CD to contain proper metadata for itunes transfer.

My husband and I enjoy sharing music with one another, as well as our friends. We used to make CDs, then mp3 CDs, etc.

A few years ago I made a last.fm playlist for him, and he in turn made one for me. Yes, we are sappy nerds.

I listen to them both from time to time, and will add stuff to the one I made for him every now and then, but nowadays we just share links to youtube videos. So easy.

This.

CDs are so cheap and easy to stick a bunch of songs onto and subsequently copy to a new harddrive, that this is the preferred method.

Flash drives are not yet so disposable that people buy them 20+ at a time, so those are not especially likely to be used for such things.

The painful parts are sort of the point.

Assembling a cassette mix tape was difficult. Doing it right meant assembling a set of songs that not only showed how you feel but also added up to 45 minutes of music. And (and this was the especially tricky part) doing it again, and making sure the music started on the second side just as soon as the first side ended so your beloved could listen to the tape on an auto-reversing cassette player.

You’d assemble the whole thing once, and discover it was 32 seconds too short. 32 seconds of potential embarrassment showing not only your lack of mix tape assembling skill, but implying that you didn’t really care.

CDs? Hah!

See the film High Fidelity for an explanation of this whole process.

The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don’t wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules. Anyway… I’ve started to make a tape… in my head… for Laura. Full of stuff she likes. Full of stuff that make her happy. For the first time I can sort of see how that is done.

Bravo! Well said. Takes me back.

If you say this to a modern teenager, I guarantee you that the image in his or her head will be of Grandpa Simpson complaining about how you used to have to WALK to school! For hours! Through three feet of snow! Uphill!

They are cheerfully invited to get the hell off my lawn.

I actually searched for and found a calculator application that would allow me to add times, so I could type in the lengths of the different tracks to fill the whole tape.

I think what’s making my brain hurt so much about this thread is the concept that “making a mix tape” is archaic.

for what it’s worth, my sister is entering college this year, and one of things her entering class is doing on facebook to “bond” with each other is they’re making mixtapes with each other- you basically burn a CD and mail it to another person on the list, and they do the same for you, and every few weeks you get another person to do this with. So the art of the mixtape is still alive amongst the youth of today…

True.

And, sadly, my best move.