Is there anyone alive today who knew Robert Lincoln?

I doubt this thread will get any answers,but I cannot find an answer anywhere else,and this Website seems to be the best place to find interesting trivia.Anyway,I think it’s somewhat amazing that one of Abraham Lincoln’s sons lived until 1926,and even more amazing is the possibility that someone is alive today who met him.Of course,he did die 86 years ago,which is a huge length of time.But if someone saw him soon before his death when they were about 5 years old,they’d be about 91 years old now,so it seems possible.Also,he was at the dedication of the Lincoln Memorial in 1922,and with the huge crowd there that day,I’d imagine at least a few people from the crowd are still alive who could have seen him.I’m not suggesting that my crazy theory is correct-I don’t think it is.I just think it’s an interesting idea.If you know anything about this subject please tell me.Or,if you’d prefer,you can give me directions to the nearest insane asylum that I can go to for suggesting the idea.:D(P.S.:There were some people who had known Abraham Lincoln himself still living well into the 1940s,right?)

Since he lived until 1926, of course there are people still alive who could have known him, although they would mostly have known him when they were 1-15 years old. My mom, born in 1923, could have know him, but didn’t.

The math and probability is approaching 100% that there are people still alive that met him personally. I couldn’t tell you who it is but it would be quite unlikely that there no people left that met him when they were very young. Living into the late 80’s and beyond still isn’t the norm but it is far from unusual. My grandfather is still around at 86 and runs his own company. His grandfather who fought in the Civil War was still around when he was a full adult and only missed my mother being born by a year (1950). You can get some weird first and second hand accounts of personal history when the circumstances line up right.

Former President and then US Chief Justice Wm Howard Taft had two grand-daughters, born in 1921 and 1925, that could have possibly met Robert Todd Lincoln. [Helen Taft Manning](Helen Taft Manning)

Don’t know if either are still alive.

John Coolidge (September 7, 1906 – May 31, 2000) son of Calvin Coolige very likely met Robert Lincoln at the 1922 dedication of the Lincoln Memorial. But 12 years ago there would have been many more people that could have met him early in life. It seems very likely that Lincoln was at least introduced to the child of a dignitary at that event, or to some child at his home in Vermont before his death. But that person(s) may have been too young to remember the event. But anyone who met him after the age of 16 or so is very likely no longer with us.

Robert Lincoln was a remarkable witness to history. He was personally present at the Confederate Surrender at Appomatox, and was probably the last living person to have been there by the time of his death. He was also present or nearby to the assasination of three presidents, his father in 1865, James Garfield in 1881, and William McKinley in 1901.

On a related note, I am often thrilled by how short a timeline 150-200 years can often be.

My grandparents were born in the 19-teens. My grandfather’s grandfather was born in 1852. The fact that I am one person removed from a man born in 1852 is awesome. And if I speculate about the adults my grandfather’s grandfather knew as a kid and young man, it’s pretty much assured that my grandfather who is alive today knew people who knew people born in the 1700s.

He was actually an eyewitness to the Garfield shooting. If that wasn’t enough, you could throw a stone from his grave in Arlington to JFK’s.

Someone posted this recently: I’ve Got A Secret - Feb. 9, 1956. The “secret” of the guest is that he was an eyewitness to the Lincoln assassination. It’s incredible to me that there was such a person still alive in the television age.

10th US President John Tyler (1790 – 1862) has two living grandsons.

Interesting. One of Tyler’s sons was present at the Confederate surrender, and lived a year longer than Robert Lincoln, so Lincoln would not have been the last surviving witness, unless Tyler was not actually in the room with the generals as Lincoln was.

I thought Robert Lincoln was standing out on the porch of the house while the negotiations were being done?That’s what I read in a book recently.Correct me if I’m wrong.

I actually think Helen is alive,and the other granddaughter may be too.But,of course,there’s no way to prove they met Robert Lincoln.If then-Chief Justice Taft brought Helen to the Lincoln Memorial dedication,then she probably did at least see him,and may have been introduced to him as well.P.S.: Did Helen marry some guy and take the last name Hunter or did she stay a Manning?I’m confused.

I couldn’t tell you for sure. This videostarting at 00:28:41 indicates he was personally present, but also repeats (in not quite definitive terms) that he was oldest surviving person there, which doesn’t correspond with the date of death for Tyler’s son. I’ve seen other things indicating there are a lot of stories about Robert Lincoln that conflict with the known facts. Also I should have noted that Tyler’s son was on the other side.

In an odd coincidence, Robert Lincoln was saved from death when he fell from a train platform by Edwin Booth, whose brother, John Wilkes Booth, would eventually assassinate Lincoln’s father, President Abraham Lincoln. At the time, Booth did not recognize Robert Lincoln, although Edwin Booth, who was an actor, was familiar to the younger Lincoln, who thanked him by name. Robert Lincoln was an officer on U. S. Grant’s staff and recounted the incident to a fellow officer, who was a friend of Edwin Booth. The officer sent a letter to Edwin Booth, commending him on his heroism. After his brother assassinated President Lincoln, the incident is reported to have been some comfort to him after the horror of John Booth’s act.

It seems this thread has run out of steam.

Well it may be a difficult question to answer. If you do find out, I hope you’ll return and let us know what you’ve found.

IIRC the only people who were present on the Rebel side were Lee and a single aide. Everyone else was outside.

Yes,that’s the problem with this thread-there’s just no way to know.You’d think that having known the son of Abraham Lincoln would be important enough that we’d hear something from anyone who did meet him,but I guess this isn’t the case.Of course,it’s also very possible that no one living today ever did meet him.Anyway,I’m really almost surprised this thread has gotten as many replies as it has.

Do you have any sources to clear this up? It’s beginning to sound like Wilt Chamberlain’s 100 point game where far more people claimed to have been there than could have been possible.

The only reason this subject interested me was because I read an article years ago. I don’t know what it was about, or who wrote it, but accompanying notes mentioned that the author had met Robert Lincoln. That was the first time I realized Lincoln’s son had lived for so long. He was very accomplished in both the public and private sectors, so there must have been many people who met him. But I could also see him becoming somewhat reclusive over time because of his notariety, and probably some healthy fear about being assasinated himself.

Many years ago, I found this painting, which purported to show the only those actually present inside the room, I found the painting again, but cannot find the website; I remember it specifically said that Lee brought only one aide.

As for your comment, well there were close to a 100,000 men at Appomattox. You have to clarify what exactly you mean by was present at Appomattox; at the battle, involved in negotiations, in the room when the surrender was signed or nearby, involved in the details of surrender.