Just saw a commercial for David Letterman. Apparently tonight Willie Tyler & Lester will be making an appearance. I was surprised, I could have sworn I remember hearing about Willie Tyler dying about 10 years ago. I had the same reaction when I saw Twiggy as a judge on America’s Next Top Model. I have a clear memory of her dying of a cocaine overdose sometime in the early 80’s.
Who did you think was dead, until you saw them again?
Quite a number in fact (over the years). I woulda sworn that Larry Hagman met his
maker a couple of years ago, but some quasi-random surfing last night to the IMDB
showed that he’s still with us. I dunno if it is my Swiss-cheese memory or I’m slipping
between realities…
You weren’t too far off, Hagman had a liver transplant that saved his life in 1996. I seem to recall the Hollywood ET Insider Report shows saying he was “near death”, but I don’t know how close he was to going to the big ranch in the sky.
At my college graduation in the late 1990s, when they were giving out honorary degrees, I think that hundreds of us had this reaction at the same time. You could hear the murmur in the crowd…“Arthur Miller’s still alive?!”
For me, it’s often old political figures: John Anderson, Howard Baker, Griffin Bell, Earl Butz, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Ramsey Clark, Chuck Colson, Al Haig, Howard Hunt, Henry Kissinger, Melvin Laird, Jeb Magruder, Robert McNamara, James Schlesinger, Stansfield Turner
[QUOTE=overeasy4]
Is Abe Vigoda still alive?
[/QUOTE]
The last time I saw him, he was riding a bicycle-built-for-three with John Tesh and William Shatner (on Conan O’Brien’s 10th anniversary special).
From Wikipedia: “In 1982, Vigoda enjoyed a little extra publicity when People magazine erroneously declared him dead. Vigoda took the error with good humor, posing for a photograph showing him sitting up in a coffin, holding the magazine in question. Since then his erroneous death has remained a running joke for Vigoda.”
and
"Greg Galcik created the website abevigoda.com in May 2001, which was a single page displaying “Abe Vigoda’s status” which reports whether Abe Vigoda is currently alive or dead. In 2002, Galcik recorded a gothic rock song Abe Vigoda’s Dead, a parody of “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” by Bauhaus.
Didn’t I hear something about Paul McCartney being dead?