Is there anyone that WAS NOT bothered by singing the pledge of allegance?

For quite a while I have been noticing a kind of paranoia which I consider borderline tinfoil hattery in things as mundane as the pledge of allegance.

Are there any Dopers out there who just plain didn’t care? Because sometimes these kinds of discussions/debates can get so heated the Emperor’s New Clothes mentality sets in for some individuals- “If you said the pledge you’re just some mindless sheep under their clutches and its far too late for any tinfoil hat treatment to save you”

I don’t consider myself overly patriotic, but at the same time I am very laid back about most things. For me, the pledge was just another ritual we did at school- maybe some did it with fervor, but I think most people just went through the motions, not really caring one way or another.

We didn’t sing it, but only because there was no music. :smiley:

I have to say I was bothered by it. You can definitely find atheists, agnostics and other people who don’t like pledging who’ll say it’s not a big deal, though.

I had no problem saying it, although I left out the parts about “under god” (don’t believe in it) and “to the flag of” (I’ll pledge allegience to a nation and its principles, not to a piece of cloth).

Basically, my pledge ended up being:

I pledge allegience,
To the United States of America,
One Nation, indivisible,
With liberty and justice for all.

Short, and to the point.

Didn’t bother me at all.

I’ve always found the practice to be creepy. The school essentially forces students to pledge their allegiance to the country, whether they agree with the practice or not. I knew one student who chose not to stand during the pledge and, as a result, was forcibly erected by the teacher. That’s wrong. And of course, there’s the whole “under god” mess, but that’s another issue that’s been discussed ad nauseam.

I would have no problem if this practice were eradicated from all publicly funded schools, as it’s not something I want to be sponsoring.

We not only recited the pledge of allegiance, we also did the lord’s prayer. This is public school, mind you, not private/religious school. But it’s also the 1950s. At any rate, I certainly never gave it a second thought. It was just a meaningless ritual, a bunch of words I memorized and regurgitated on cue. None of it had any lasting effect on this non-flag-waving atheist, certainly (beyond the fact that, almost 50 years later, I can still spout them on demand!).

Not bothered at all. I can understand how some people would want to refrain from saying “Under God,” but since I believe in God, it isn’t a problem for me.

::Checks to see which forum this is in::

Personally I think it’s a ritual that has outlasted its time. When our nation was first being built I could understand the reasoning behind pledging allegance. It was important to built support for one nation instead of individual states. It was critical for all immigrants to bind into a single mindset of building a great nation.

Fast forward 200 + years, we are a nation under one or many Gods or none at all. We are free to believe or practice in whatever we wish, and we are still a strong nation, who’s population is protected by laws. Do we still need the pledge in order to be a nation? No.

Does pledging allegance help or hurt the feeling of being part of a country? I don’t think it really matters anymore.

I had no problem with it. Can’t imagine a scenario where it could change the quality of my life.

When I was younger, I hated reciting it simply because it was boring.

I had and have no problem with it. I am not a religious man, but I was raised RC. So I was accustomed to masses of people droning on in unison. I suppose if I dreaded saying the pledge for any reason it was because I knew the immediately following it was the infamous "Swish & Spit…Yuck

When I was a kid, I thought it was stupid and pointless. I didn’t know why they were making us say it - what did they think little kids might do if they didn’t pledge their “allegiance” to the country? Send spy secrets to the Soviet Union?

The flag, of course, being the representation of the nation and its ideals.

I didn’t mind it any more than having to wake up early.

When did one stop having to recite the pledge? I recall doing it in elementary school can’t recall in Jr. High and am pretty sure (but again, can’t recall) we didn’t do it in high school.

I never really cared one way or the other. It was just something we said that had very little meaning to me, sort of like the Lord’s Prayer (not recited in school), which I never gave a lot of thought to until I was much older. I always thought it was sort of nitpicky to get hung up on the words of the pledge, but I suppose I can understand, though I’m fairly ambivalent to the whole thing.

When we lived in Texas in 1997-99, my 6- and 3-year-old little brothers had to recite the pledge every morning, one in his lower-school classroom, the other at his daycare center. My parents didn’t really think it was a big enough deal to say anything about, partly because neither of my brothers understood what it was they were actually saying. I went to high school, where the pledge was not given. However, the National Anthem was sung at every sporting event and pep rally, and some people gave me really nasty looks because while I stood up for it, I didn’t sing or hold my hand over my heart. Maybe my brothers would have caught flak for it, too, if they’d not recited the pledge. Not necessarily from the kids, but from their parents once their kids told them: after we hoisted the Finnish flag on December 6th to celebrate the Finnish independence day, we got about 5 very angry letters in the mailbox… :rolleyes:

As an aside to this: my father and I recorded my little brothers’ recitations of the Pledge of Allegiance, and I wrote down what they (thought they) were saying. “I pledge a leadance to the fragg of the nined space of America…”, “…to the powder it stings…”"…with liverty and justance frog", etc. My father found this sufficiently amusing to send to his Finnish co-workers at his workplace. 6 months later, while I was visiting Finland for the summer, my friend’s father --who works in an entirely different company-- showed me an e-mail he had received from his co-worker. “Yeah, I figured these first names were so uncommon that they had to be your family.” Pretty cool, I’ve been at the start of at least one Internet chain letter. :cool:

I didn’t mind at the time, and maybe didn’t even really notice or think about the “under God” part. Although, by the time I was an atheist I may not have had to recite it anymore, not really sure.

It was just another stupid meaningless thing in a kid’s life.

Wow. I had some cute teachers in school…but I never had one that forcibly caused an erection.

:shrug: So I prefer the direct approach. No middleman.

It didn’t bother me in the least. For the first few years, I just parroted the words anyway. The part with “one nation invisible” is sort of funny now that I know what the right word is.

I knew some smartass would comment about that word usage :smack:
:wink: