Is there really a "Pink Tax"?

I’m no longer engaging in this ridiculous semantic argument. Just change the OP to read, do women sometimes pay more for the same or essentially the same products and services, OK?

Of course it costs more. That’s not open to question at all.

Tell that to @urbanredneck2! (Lol)

They do often. Just like I have to shop around to get my preferences. Do you think there is some kind of conspiracy to keep companies from taking over the market for these products by offering them at a lower price?

It’s his thread, and his idea to look at this through the ‘tax’ aspect, so I hope he’s paying attention.

Yes, we all have to shop around, but according to my cites (the CBS and NBER studies), women have to shop around more for the exact same service.

Do you have to shop around to avoid discriminatory pricing?

Maybe we should just create a list of businesses that don’t overprice goods and services when women are buying. We can call it the Pink Book.

Because there are other interpretations of the Pink Tax that women have to buy additional products than men to be socially acceptable. For example, women are expected to wear makeup to work and men don’t giving an additional expense.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case sometimes, but I don’t think those cases have been cited here. I don’t know how often it happens but there are women who will go to a barber shop and get a men’s haircut and won’t be charged more for it. There may be places that would charge a woman more for the exact same thing and that would be incredibly unfair.

Dry cleaning is often cited, but actually articles of clothing for men and women are different. Women’s clothes are made of more chemical sensitive and fragile materials, and weaker construction and have more complex shapes than men’s clothing. This adds additional costs in the cleaning process, and like most extras the price increases disproportionately to the base.

None of my examples are about that, so maybe you meant to reply to someone else?

Yes, women buy tampons, make-up, have to get breast exams, etc. I don’t think the pink tax is about that. Men buy more belts and suspenders, ties, beard trimmers, whoopie cushions, other fart sound makers, etc. Men and women have different things they have to purchase, so what?

TriPolar, feel free to respond to the examples in the article I cited. I quoted the part about laundry again, for your convenience.

I’ve provided cites that say, yes, women pay more, on average, than men for identical goods and services. Until someone provides a counter cite rather than ad-hoc just-so stories and hand waving, I’m done here.

I remember a few years back two of the local news anchors were talking about clothes. She mentioned a new dress she had and he said he felt bad that she has to have so many options. They went on to have a quick discussion about how she has to have enough outfits to go last a few weeks without repeating anything while he has a black sports jacket, a navy blue jacket, a few different button down shirts and a bunch of ties. Between all that he can change it up every day without really ever repeating anything for a while, and even then, no one is going to notice. The only time he ever has to buy new clothes is when he spills something on himself.

That one is analogous to a tax, it is an extra cost imposed on women, and on an unfair basis. A company that requires women but not men to wear make-up at work assuming some justifiable reason should cover the costs of that makeup. And if it’s not a justifiable reason then it shouldn’t be allowed.

‘Virtually identical’ and ‘nearly identical’ both mean ‘not identical’.

OK, I’m back for one. Here’s the paragraph again:

CBS News conducted an experiment where two members of their staff — a man and a woman — went to multiple dry cleaners in New York City with the same white cotton button-up shirt. The experiment found that “more than half of the dry cleaners charged the female staff member at least twice as much to clean the shirt. Some even charged her three times as much.”

I’ve put the important part in bold and italics. I would make it larger, but I don’t know how to do that with Discourse.

It is just hilarious to see how much intensive, very certain debate occurred in this thread before any Pink Americans showed up, or anyone even thought to specifically consult them. Totally on-brand.

I don’t know where your summary comes from, but that’s not what the article says. Saint_Cad has pointed out a perfect example of something that could be reasonably called a ‘Pink Tax’. Why don’t you use that for your argument instead.

Actually, my experience is that if you go to a “hair salon,” they have fixed prices for men and women, that include higher rates for women, even when you just want a trim, with no wash, no products.

From 1991-1999, I wore my hair very short, and it was curly, but I just got it trimmed about every 6 weeks. Couldn’t be simpler. I had a particular woman I went to for a couple of years, and she charged me the same as she’d charge a man for the same cut, but when she retired, I started going to a barber shop, because I couldn’t find a “women’s” or “unisex” place that didn’t want to charge me more-- and it wasn’t insignificant. It was about $16 for the same trim they’d give men for $10.

Aside from the fact that is was curly hair, it wasn’t even really being styled. It really was a simple as a man’s cut.

So I started going to a barber shop. I just walked into one, and asked if they cut women’s hair, and they asked me if my hair was naturally curly, or if I had a perm, and I said “natural.” They said they’d give me the same service they gave men for the same price, but they didn’t wash, and didn’t do anything besides cut. I said that’s all I wanted, and I had a great relationship with them for years. I wasn’t the only woman with short hair who was a customer there.

The owner said he didn’t know why other places had a policy about charging more for women’s hair, except that women who wanted simple cuts generally went to men’s barbers, so they didn’t get too many women at salons who didn’t expect more than a trim.

I have heard from dry cleaners that the equipment is made with men’s sizes in mind, so women’s-sized clothes are more difficult to clean and press, but they don’t charge more for short men or less for tall women.

And at any rate, that might have made sense if there were a time when men were the overwhelming majority of customers at professional cleaners, but I’m not sure that was ever true, and it certainly isn’t true now.

As far as buying pink razors or laxatives-- no one forces me to buy those, and I never do. The blue razors work just as well on legs as the pink ones, and if memory serves, the ingredients in the laxatives are the same.

Now there might be some kind of production scale, whereby many woman buy the men’s product, but no men buy the women’s product, so there are more of the men’s version being manufactured, making each piece cheaper. In that case, it’s really on women who fall for the idea of needing a special product.

Car insurance is a who different thing. Statistically, men get in more accidents-- but if you’ve been with the same company for a long time, and never been in an accident, your personal rate might be very low. DH has never been cited as responsible for an accident in his life. He’s been in three, but none was his fault-- he was rear-ended each time. So his insurance rates are very low. I’ve actually been responsible for two in my life-- none recently-- but our rates are about the same, and at one point, mine were slightly higher.

It’s really young men who automatically have higher rates. After several accident-free years, a man’s rates can be very low. But women don’t start paying less for things after time.

I don’t know why I’m holding your hand for all of this, but my quote comes from the article I cited way above, that I’ve posted again for your convenience.

Women dress for other women, not for men. The “personal grooming tax” is woman-on-woman.
Very, very few men have ever said to a woman at work “didn’t you wear that dress two days ago?” Unless it was a very particualr dress, say, showing Tom Brady riding a winged-narwhal fighting a cerberus with the heads of Hitler, Stalin, and Mao, most of us guys didn’t notice it, and, even if we did, we just don’t care.

My wife and daughter constslty raid my toiletries to get my razors, but prefer the pink ones, they are different.