Is There Such A Thing As "Canadian Food"?

Your bar would have to offer rye and ginger (rye whiskey and ginger ale).

The waitresses would need to learn the following phrase: “And what kind of potatoes will you be having with you breakfast?”

I always forget Tim Hortons is not national in the US. We’ve had them in Michigan for some time. But yeah, I guess it is Canadian food.

Poutine is the top answer, I think.

There’s a lot of Canadian food, and restaurants. It’s just called Cajun food. Cajun is an elision of Acadian. The original French territories now part of Canada were called Acadia.

In addition, there are meat pies, a French Canadian dish common here in RI.

Metropolis was Toronto’s first restaurant to devote itself to discovering Canadian cuisine. There are now several restaurants devoted to this very thing - finding our national cuisine, sometimes based on local ingredients, sometimes based on the specialties of a region.

But not Texas. And they are Canadian in origin.

I don’t recall the name of it, but I had it as part of breakfast in Montreal once. It was toast, served with some yellow mustard and some kind of rendered, salted, minced-up pork fat…thing. I’m sure my description makes it sound gross but it was really good…like concentrated bacon.

Fourquet et Fourchette is a French-Canadian-themed restaurant. It’s sponsored by a brewery, and serves native-inspired dishes as well as ones of French origin.

Could that have been cretons?

Beaver Tail is pretty yummy.

Cajuns are the descendents of Acadians who settled in Louisiana after being expelled from their homeland. Their cuisine has been influenced by other culinary traditions from over there. So Cajun cuisine is fully American, not in any meaningful way Canadian.

As for Canadian dishes, we cannot forget pâté chinois and pig’s leg stew.

What, no moose?

Or served with maple syrup. Like french fries. Though, it’s possible that the Canadian kids I went to college with were just weird…

Tourtière is popular, right? As wiki notes some of us in the northern parts of the US do meat pies too, so I don’t blame them if they find 'em tasty too. (In my house we also make another kind of meat pie with beef from roasts that’s been cubed, so it’s probably officially called something else.)

Well what does make something Canadian in a meaningful way?

[/QUOTE]

Pate Chinois is just Shepard’s Pie, an English dish. Or Chinese by its literal name.

The traditional Meat Pies around here are also known as Tourtieres, pretty much the same thing without the corn. They seem to have a genuine Canadian origin. Which reminds to get to the grocery store tomorrow. Now I want to make some meat pies.

As an American, the Canadian Pub experience is twice removed to the English (GB) publican. I’d compare the oldest Canadian publicans to American, more purely English and French, less German and English, as compared to the American Publican- more a Bostonian thing. This is comparative… Canadian food probably has more in common with a Mainer Restaurantor or a UP’er menu than the typical all-american.

Two egg side by each, a porc &a bean, pair of toast and a pepsi.

Also I can smoke here the patio?

Sure, but only because of the high populations of French-Canadians in the border states. We got the ideas from them, I’m pretty sure.

Most things named as “Canadian Food,” I identify more with specific regions of Canada than the country as a whole. Maybe everyone feels that way about their own “national” foods, though…

Actually coming from Canada, for one, or at least being considered Canadian by Canadians. Cajun cuisine may have been influenced in part by the cuisine of places that are now part of Canada, but it comes from elsewhere and Canadians aren’t likely to see it as a Canadian tradition.

Certainly, but it’s quite traditional around here, most people have eaten it more than once, so I think it counts.

Are you saying a tourtière is like a pâté chinois but without the corn? Not by my definition anyway. A tourtière is a pie (with dough on top and bottom) containing ground beef, and often veal and pork as well. A pâté chinois is a layer of ground beef, a layer of corn, and a layer of mashed potatoes.

This is true, and I think your guess is correct.

I had no idea this was Canadian, but then again, I have never seen anyone but my family do it. My husband just about had a heart attack the first time we made Kraft Dinner and dogs I told him I didn’t need a bun. Serious cheap comfort food.

Don’t forget Swiss Chalet dippy sauce, Aero bars and real Smarties…

The grocery stores around here are starting to sell certain items I could once only find in Canada. Dare Viva Puffs are now available here, but sadly I can’t find any all-dressed potato chips. I also don’t care what anyone says, Canadian tea is far superior to American tea. Just plain lipton red rose tea bags are better. I don’t know what they do differently, but you can brew a stronger cup of tea without it getting bitter.

Ketchup chips.