Is There Such A Thing As "Canadian Food"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine_r%C3%A2p%C3%A9e Poutine Rapé - not like Quebec poutine at all.

Delicious in an artery-clogging way!

Uh, can you say snow-cones?

EWWWW, it’s YELLOW!!!

Though now owned by Wendy’s.

And bloody caesars.

Nope - Spun back off as an independent in 2006. It is now returned to being a Canadian company.

There is a restaurant down the road from the lab called ‘Bugaboo Creek’.
They call themselves a Canadian restaurant.
There is a talking moose head on the wall that greets you.
‘Rustic’ atmosphere.

Their menu includes such northern wonders as ‘lumberjack fries’ and ‘Bunyan onions’.

Obviously this must be authentic Canadian fare.
Right?

Memorable quotes for Canadian Bacon (1995) :
**Smiley: When have you ever heard anyone say, “Honey, lets stay in and order Canadian food”? **

That’s a good point. There are a lot of variations of this dish, and I like to put a crust in the pan, but most people probably make it as you describe. I’ve seen variations on the meat pie where it’s cooked in a large pie pan or smaller tort pan, hence its name, but also a kind of pocket with dough wrapped over the filling. Lots of debate locally on how to make the best meat pie. One local variation is made with salmon and diced potatoes. Good, but maybe you know if has traditional roots.

How about dulse? That’s pretty Canadian, if you ask me (though Wikipedia says they eat it in Iceland as well). Anyone had it?

Calgary Red-Eye - beer and tomato juice.

I’ve never had the nerve to drink it.

As authentic as the Outback Restaurant is for Australian. :slight_smile:

Yes - it’s gross. It tastes like iodine.

I like the idea of moose, cariboo, bison, prairie chicken, etc. being served.

In Canada, a pizza topped with bacon, mushrooms & pepperoni is commonly named the “Canadian.” Is this a popular combination for pizza in other countries, and do they call it something else?

Cretons on toast. I’d forgotten about that one. Canadians seem real big on toast, and that is not a regionalism.

Be sure to offer decent hot teas. Not Liptons. And Labatt’s Brador as one of your beers.

If you were in Manitoba, you should have sour cream as an ingredient on offer.

You’ve inspired me, Le Ministre:
Pizza toppings by province:

• BC - Smoked salmon
  • Alberta - Alberta beef
  • Saskatchewan - Farmer’s sausage
  • Manitoba - Sour cream
  • Ontario - Organic, grass fed, 100% sustainable prosciuto
  • Quebec - Cheese and gravy
  • Newfoundland - Herring (choked, of course)
  • Nova Scotia - Lobster
  • New Brunswick - Cod
  • PEI - Potatoes
  • Yukon - Caribou
  • Northwest Territories - White fish from Great Slave Lake
  • Nunavut - Seal liver

Heard every night at the door to the Beaver Club:

“Aw crap, it’s a restaraunt.”

Settle down Beavis.

Yeah, no, we snickered pretty much all the way through dinner.

Both really good restaurants that have focused in on the best local ingredients, of which Canada has a bunch.

How about sandwiches made with butter on both sides of the bread?
When I lived in Canada, everyone seemed to do this. Didn’t matter what sandwich they were making, butter was first spread on both “inside” sides of the bread. I even witnessed a few people doing this with a hot dog bun before making one.

And I can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned yet: A restaurant serving Canadian food obviously has to serve its milk from bags.