Is This Anti-Semitic?

I frequently see bumper stickers and other informal displays of the following sentiment: “Read the Bible. Jesus is God.”

Clearly, they’re talking about the God of Abraham (Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah) because people who don’t worship that god wouldn’t care about Jesus either. Jews and Muslims are the two groups that immediately come to mind when one thinks of belief in God but not the divinity of Jesus or the concept of the Trinity.

I think there is an anti-Semitic subtext to this. You can’t just call it proselytizing, because no reasonable person expects anyone to change religions because of a bumper sticker - it’s more of a “we’re right, you’re wrong” statement of cultural challenge. Thoughts?

It’s pro-Christian, not anti-Semitic.

You can call it proselytizing (I can anyway) because it serves to spread the word. Someone on the fence might be partially convinced if they see a large volume of bumper stickers and see truth in the numbers. Someone who is pondering might see a bumper sticker and it could put it in their mind to start asking questions of a religious friend. Someone who is lapsed might decide to go to church the next Sunday because the bumper sticker hit a nerve. Who knows? It can’t hurt.

Haj

Not Anti-Semitic as it is self serving. You can’t really expect bumper stickers to come with disclaimers and appologies to any Jews, Muslems, Hindus, Bhuddists and Atheists that may be offended by the clearly one sided statement of belief.

I suppose if one is looking to be offended by things in every day life, one doesn’t need to look much farther than various bumper sticker and the like.

Hyperelastic: Clearly, they’re talking about the God of Abraham (Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah) because people who don’t worship that god wouldn’t care about Jesus either.

That type of selectivity, IME, isn’t typical of heavily proselytizing Christian evangelical types. IME, people who proclaim “Read the Bible. Jesus is God” think that everybody should read the Bible and everybody should acknowledge the Jesus of the New Testament as the unique omnipotent omniscient Deity.

Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, Muslims, animists, atheists, everybody (including lots of people who are generally already considered Jesus-worshipping Christians, such as Catholics and Mormons). Doesn’t matter which, if any, deity/ies you already worship and how he/she/they fit into Biblical theology. Everybody should read the Bible and get saved. Period.

So I’d disagree that this sentiment reflects an “anti-Semitic” bias specifically directed toward the conversion/correction of Jews and/or Muslims. This here is strictly egalitarian religious chauvinism, this here is.

Forgive my ignorance of the bible, but wasn’t God quite adamant about the whole “thou shall have no God before me” thing? To the point of putting it in the top spot of his top 10 list?

FTR, I don’t think that the bumper sticker is anti-semitic.

Well, see, some folks would say the Jesus part violates that. ;j

And of course many say Jesus = God (as in is the earthly form of God). Which gives us that “Father, why have you forsaken me?” is J.C. talking to himself. Then again being stapled to a tree I think talking to himself was the least of his problems at the time.

Many mainstream Christain denominations believe in the trinity. That is, there is only one God, but he manifests himself as 3, distinct individuals. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirt.

I thought that this concept was the domain of Catholics.

Nope, there are plent of Protestants who believe it too.

Not exactly. Jesus= God and God=Jesus are both part of many other Christian churches.

Nope, Protestants and Orthodox also believe in the Trinity.

Well, I’ve learned something today - that makes it a good day.

It is a good day to die.

Speaking for myself as a jew I don’t find it anti-semetic and I’d give the ol’ roll-eye to any other jew who got worked up about it.

I agree. Now, if had said “Read the Torah, Jesus is God”, well that would be a different kettle of fish.

I don’t see it as anti-semitic, and I have a pretty good (some might say overly sensitive) radar for these things.

It could also be an anti-Jehovah’s Witnesses thing, as they believe in God but don’t believe Jesus is God. They believe “Christ is God’s Son and is inferior to Him”; this is not the case for most Christian groups, who believe (as the Nicene Creed describes it) that Jesus Christ is “God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father”.

Many Christians, especially the more conservative Protestants, will describe the Jehovah’s Witnesses as a “cult” and say they aren’t really Christian as a result of this fairly major theological disagreement.

IMNSHO, that’s a cheap rhetorical device to get around that very point.

As I understand it, the Torah is the first five books of the Bible. But Jews refer to all of what Christians call the Old Testament as “The Bible”, do they not? If so, doesn’t it irk them just a little when some folks cite “The Bible” when they are primarily emphasizing the New Testament?

(Also, Pet Peeve #92: When people say “read the Bible” as shorthand for “I’m right”. Leaving aside the fact the the Bible proves nothing, to expect someone to go home and read through that enormous, complex book and expect them to come back agreeing with your specific point–it having jumped out at them–is pretty ridiculous.)

sqweels, what book is derived from another isn’t the point except to say that Jesus isn’t mentioned -at all- in the Torah.