Is this too much motorcycle for me?

I’ve been thinking about getting a motorcycle. Problem is, I have funny taste, and I don’t know how to ride. Is there any truth to the statement that you need to get a wimpy one first? I’m not interested in screaming down the freeway at 130. I just want to be able to take a causal weekend cruise or two.

So, with the fact that I have never ridden before in mind, is this too much motorcycle for me? Granted, it’s not even in production, but I sure like the way it looks.

Instead of rushing right out and buying your first motorcycle, take a motorcycle rider safety course where you get hands-on experience with a motorcycle you don’t own. The California Highway Patrol puts on a great Beginning Motorcycle Rider Safety Course where you get to ride 250 cc bikes with an instructor yelling at you to control the clutch in the frictional area and keep your eyes looking waaaaay off in the distance.

Oh, and that’s another thing: With few exceptions, all motorcycles have manual transmissions. If you don’t already know how to drive a stick-shift car, learning how to work with a clutch will be an additional challenge.

Tracer, thanks! I’ve researched the courses here in Colorado, and there’s one not too far from my house. I would much prefer to beat up the man’s bike than my own.

I guess what I’m saying is that everyone has told me that you have to get a small one first. I’m thinking my first car had a souped up 350 in it, and I’m here and well today.

That is far too much bike for a sissy like you, Mr. C. To keep yourself safe, buy the thing, pack it carefully, and ship it to my house. I’ll take care of it for you and post every once in a while to let you know how she’s running.

:wink:

I notice that the article makes some vague comparison with the V-max which is about as mad as a…mad thing.

It has a habit of leaving black lines all over the road in the traffic light grand prix.

If it is even slightly like a V-max then I think you would wish to experience a few more years of life before you die.
The V-max is also noteworthy for having handling rather like a puppy on a lead when it comes to corners.

The object of your affection looks very upright and might be a hooligan wheelie monster.

Look at that exhaust too, ain’t your butt gonna get kinda warm with it there ?
I would suggest something a bit more sane until you actually know what you want, your view tends to change once you can ride.
Have to say that it does look pretty cool.
The big European Autumn shows are coming up, the first is Munich in a week so if it is for real we will get to know then, and we will find out the specs.

I’ve been drooling over this one.

http://www.maxturbine.com/y2karticlep3.htm

I saw this one on SpeedVision. Drool-worthy.

Turbine Powered Motorcycle. Sure, it won’t take as fast as a rice rocket, but with a 52K rpm top end… <sigh>

Top end estimated at 250+, they’ve only had it up to 190 or so,that I know.

Hard to tell from the link, but it looks like a biiig bike. My first bike was a 750 cruiser - not exactly wimpy - and I had no trouble with it. On the other hand a 750cc sport bike can be a handful. If you’re gonna buy a new bike, you can go ride it at the dealer first and get a good feel for it. Do take the time to figure it out. I’m about to sell my Harley (Road King) because after riding it for 9000 miles or so, I just don’t like it. It’s too much of a hog. I want something smaller and zippier.

What training course are you taking? I took the one from Abate of Colorado, and many experienced riders were surprised at how well I did from the start. I think it’s a good program.

Saint Zero wrote:

A gas turbine (jet) engine that can run on diesel fuel? Riiiiiight.

Dat’s a damn nice machine Mr. C.

I am holding out for a Harley (when I grow up, he). That will be a leap since the only on I ever really rode was a small Honda, but I sat down on a Harley once, and it was enough - can’t be beat for a combination of comfortable cruize and style.

Oh well, I’ll dream on for a few more years, then maybe act on it.

BTW, that safety coarse, highly reccomended, but I’ve heard from more than one instructor you benefit more if using your own bike - you’ll get to learn how to hhhadle the one you’ll actually be riding.

Good thread mr c… something I’ve been thinking about myself.

Since I was a child I have wanted a motorcycle… I have been destined for a motorcycle… but I have never so much as road one. One of these days I WILL get a bike though and I have had the same questions as you.

I want a Harley… a big one. Having never road a bike before I am thinking this is probably not a good Idea.

since nobody has done so I am going to reitterate.

Please answer the OP!

If you scroll down a ways, it’s a 1600CC v-twin. I’m assuming that it should be fairly powerful.

Why don’t you take the class, then decide? I took it and am comfortable on just a 500cc bike, but I’m 5’4" not very strong. My friend took the same class and went out and got a 750 and was very happy. It’s not usually the weight or size of the bike that’s an issue, it’s how you’re able to handle the weight distribution.

That’s a beautiful bike, and once you take the class (I believe) you won’t need to be too worried about laying down bikes. (This is based on MY EXPERIENCE. IF YOUR EXPERIENCE WAS DIFFERENT, FINE- DON’T FLAME ME FOR THAT COMMENT)
Get your license, then take a bunch out for long test drives. Half the fun is in the shopping!

Zette

Holy Crap, that looks like a bike out of a SF movie! I like it. Cyn, you might wanna mail or talk to Spiny Norman. He rides a Ducati (forgive me if this is the wrong one!).

Them’s real bikes!

By the way, I am getting the impression that you Yankees can just buy a bike and ride it when you have a car drivers license. Is this true?

I would consider that absolute insanity.

Naaahhhh coldie… you have to pass written and driving tests and get a motocycle license.

Glad to hear that, Whammo :wink:

Bikes, perhaps even more than cars, are lethal weapons as well as means of transportation. The only way to learn that fact is by getting a good license, and by having a terribly frightening near-crash.

Harsh, but true. Both for cars and bikes.

If you have to ask, it is too much bike. 'nuff said.

I find that to be faulty logic, really. It’s along the lines of “If you have to ask, you can’t afford it.” Bullshit, says I. I just like to know how much I gotta spend :o)

I will echo the other “take the course” sentiments. My first bike was a 1100 Kawasaki crotch rocket. I would ride it to class and,though I would use their bike during class, I would practice on mine afterwards.

I think a much more relevant question is not whether you can handle the bike, but can you handle all the chicks. Damn sweet lookin’ bike! :cool:

Looks like they found the successor to the V-max - and not a moment too soon. DAMN, it looks good! - not my sort of bike, really, but wow!

Mr. C., if you’re a novice to motorcycling, this might be getting in over your head. I couldn’t find any technical data to speak of, but it’s certainly going to be a 100+ HP bike with brutal torque in a lightweight chassis. That’s not a good thing if you’re not very sure of what you’re doing. Besides, you’ll truly hate yourself when you drop it at low speed because of some silly beginner’s mistake.

Take all the courses you can afford and ride a season on a smaller - not necessarily wimpy - bike. Get yourself a secondhand Bandit 600 or SV 650 or something like that. It’s really time well spent and besides, it gives Yamaha time to get the bugs out of the design. With some driving experience, you can give the MT-01 a test ride and make an informed decision as to whether you like it or not. Looks are great, but if you dislike its handling, you’ll find yourself not riding it.

Of course, you have the advantage of being used to driving in traffic and even though I don’t know your age, I have the impression that you’re not suffering from the “I’m an immortal teenager” syndrome which is mortal in combination with high-powered bikes. And as mentioned, having experience with stick shifts helps as well. Still, I’d recommend a couple of thousand miles on a more moderate bike. YMMV.

Keep us informed as to your decision!

S. Norman

PS: Although I do ride a yellow 748, it’s unfortunately not an SPS like the one in Coldie’s link, but only a lowly Biposto S. (The SPS is the all-out racing version with goodies like Ohlin dampers all over, titanium this & carbon fibre that - couldn’t afford that.) Fun bike anyway.

Oooh, S. Norman, your bike is purty! The only problem I can see with it is where do I sit? Do you have one of those little sidecar things? :wink:

Coldy, we’ve all got to go to Hamburg to try out Norm’s bike!!!