Is Vincent Price a respected actor, or just a hack?

Me too! What year was it? I was at Hanover College, In at the time so it must have been 81-85 (I attended from Fall 80-Spring 84, then spent a year on campus as a Prof Assistant, and I know VP wasn’t there in 1980).

And he was wonderful. I did get to shake his hand & express a starstruck-muted appreciation which he kindly received, no autographs or extended conversation tho. They hustled us through a reception line & out the door & we were just happy to meet him.

I saw that film, but it was a long time ago and I’m sorry to say I don’t remember much about Price’s style of performance. I do remember the scene where he died, falling out of a window after being shot to death.

Darn you, I wanted to mention his non-horror roles! :slight_smile:

Price’s performance as hammy actor turned action hero in “His Kind of Woman” is the highlight of that film, absolutely stealing the second half of the picture away from Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, and evil Raymond Burr (a pretty hefty bunch to steal a movie from). “His Kind of Woman” and “Laura,” I think, give us a glimpse of the kind of career Price might have gone on to if he hadn’t done horror films–a sort of charmingly effete and perhaps dubious gentleman, a la George Sanders.

My favorite of his horror films has always been “Theatre of Blood,” in which he kills off a series of theatre critics in delightfully grotesque and campy Shakespearean ways. Yes, I know it’s a “Phibes” rip-off, but I like it better.

BTW, Victoria Silverwolf, hello and welcome! I lurk on the B-movie message board and enjoy your reviews.

I also saw his one-man “Oscar Wilde” show. University of Nevada Las Vegas around 1981 theresabouts. A very fine performance by a very good actor.

I seem to remember that he and Peter Lorre made a TV pilot about a couple of crime-solving antique dealers.

“I do so wish my little doggy-woggies were here to enjoy this thread!”

I don’t believe it! NOBODY mentions his turn as the slimy slavemaster Baka in The Ten Commandments???

I believe he was the architect, the slave-master was played by Edward G. Robinson

Just wanted to say that that is a great little stroy.

I heard him lecture while he was doing the Oscar Wilde tour. It explained why his trademark moustache was missing. An altogether entertaining and interesting fellow. David Skal prized his interview with him, because Price was one of the few people who’d travelled in the social circles of Bram Stoker’s widow. (It’s curious, as he points out, that with all his years in horror, Price never played Dracula. He’d have been a pretty good choice. The closest he came was playing a sort-of vampire on F-Troop of all places).

I agree with the above assessments of Price. He wasn’t an A-list actor, but he was instantly recognizable. He turned to horror early on, and stayed with it, although I never heard that he regretted it. He certainly could have done more dramatic and “legit” work. Check out the IDMB. Have people forgotten the non-horror The Whales of August?

Price did a lot of cheapie movie work and TV roles, but he maintained an image. I watched him countless times in House on Haunted Hill and all those Roger Corman “Poe” adaptations that had little to do with Poe. Later, he did an Evening with Edgar Allen Poe for TV, in which he read Poe’s poetry straight. It reportedly confused the hell out of a lot of executives, who evidently got their Poe from the movies.

You’ve just made me think that the lecture I attended was during this same period. I remember his moustache was gone and he briefly mentioned it was because of a role he was doing. Interesting.
Sorry about that Miss Mapp, it’s rare that I get into any of these threads with something first. And at that I completely forgot about the lascivious architect chasing the nubile young slave girl!

[QUOTE=Miss Mapp]

My favorite of his horror films has always been “Theatre of Blood,” in which he kills off a series of theatre critics in delightfully grotesque and campy Shakespearean ways. Yes, I know it’s a “Phibes” rip-off, but I like it better.

Thank you for reminding me of one of my favorite “guilty pleasure” films. Always wished they’d had sequels and served up the rest of Shakespeare’s plays. Wasn’t Diana Rigg as shameless as Price in this scenery-chewer of a flick?

I love Diana Rigg in this film, especially when it is revealed that

she is the mysterious, mustachio’d young man who’s been assisting Price in his crimes.

Really the best part of her performance.

Yeah, Egghead was one creepy Bat-villian…

EVENING is packaged with THE TOMB OF LIGEIA on the MGM Midnight Movies DVDs.

Egg-squisite!
(But where are the feet in his Egg-art kit?!?!)

Thank you Victoria Silverwolf. It aggravates me to no end when Prices work in Thriller is mentioned like it was some kind of innovation. Alice did it first!

After seeing the Dr. Phibes movies in jr. high school, I wanted to be Vincent Price. He’s still one of my favorites, a much better actor, IMO, than these pretty boys of late like Ben Aflack.

Nobody’s mentioned the “western” Price did, The Baron of Arizona. Really not too exciting but interesting as it’s based on a true story of a swindler who developed an elaborate scheme in an attempt to steal away most of the property of the Arizona territory.

Love Vincent Price…but I never can seem to remember the titles of his flicks, only the general premise…

For instance, what was the name of the movie he was in, where there was a pit of acid in the house??

The House on Haunted Hill

I have a few Vincent Price films on DVD, the two amusingly and stylishly schlocky Dr. Phibes films and The Last Man on Earth which I got for four dollars - my all time cheapest purchase ( even Zardoz cost nine bucks :stuck_out_tongue: ).

However my favorite role of his is so far unavailable on DVD ( at least in the states ), The Witchfinder General/The Conqueror Worm*, a non-supernatural horror film with Price playing a fictionalized version of the historical “witchfinder” Matthew Hopkins, who terrorized Britain during the latter stages of the English Civil War. Price was usually a formidable scenery chewer, but the director here kept him more restrained and he turned in a genuinely creepy, even somewhat low-key, performance. Very Hammer Studio-looking movie, though it actually wasn’t. Recommended if you run across it.

• Tamerlane

Surely that was Vincent Price voicing the mad scientist in the Bugs Bunny cartoon:

“Now be a cooperative little bunny and let me have your brain.”