Is Vincent Price a respected actor, or just a hack?

Yes, Vincent Price portrays a very sadistic character in “The Conqueror Worm”.
Even though the “Phibes” films and “Theater of Blood” have many vicious killings, they still have that schlocky, camp presentation. The “Conquereor Worm” is deadly serious.
I also love “Theater of Blood” (1973) and I think Vincent Price and Diana Rigg make a splendid acting team. Diana Rigg “hammed up” her death scene very well in that movie.
Nobody has mentioned that Vincent Price’s third wife, Coral Browne, is in that movie. Since he married her in 1974, maybe that is where they met.

That is indeed where they met.

Brief hijack- does anyone know if the DVD of DR PHIBES RISES AGAIN has “Over the Rainbow” by Price at the end? I know it was edited out for a while due to copyright problems but I’ve heard unsubstantiated reports that the problem was resolved.

Five year-old Kizarvexilla adores Vincent Price, having seen him in two productions I have on video.

The first was his appearance on The Muppet Show – “Oh, but I do adore frog’s legs!”

The second was his special guest appearance in Gilbert & Sullivan’s Ruddigore. He plays the role of Sir Despard Murgatroyd (a role I have also had the opportunity to, er, sink my teeth into), a highly moral and decent man condemned to commit one terrible crime every die or die in agony. Since the opera was, itself, a parody of Victorian melodrama, Vincent Price was perfectly cast. He played the role exactly as written, without any over-the-top hamminess, and captured Despard’s pathos with tremendous dignity and style. A great performance!