Israeli Music!

I don’t think it’s him, unless he also does more rock-sounding stuff. Doesn’t quite seem to be the same voice either. I thought the guy said this was someone younger, possibly a teenager.

Slightly off topic, but I’ve always wondered- is a dag nachash equivalent to what we call a snakefish in English, or is it just random animals?

Warning: Hebrew lesson coming up :slight_smile:

HaDag Nahash is spelled הדג נחש in Hebrew. Basically, almost all (and in this particular case – all) vowels in Hebrew are implied, so HaDag Nakhash is really just HDG NKhSh. The way I’ve always heard it, it’s an anagram of נהג חדש (NHG KhDSh - Nahag Khadash), which means “New driver” - it’s a small yellow sign that drivers with less than one(?) year on their license have to put in the back window of any car they’re driving - like this. So basically it’s just a play on words. There is no such animal… :slight_smile: Also, the initial “Ha” in teh name can’t just be dropped, like most instances of “the,” since it’s part of the anagram!

Sorry, no idea then… :frowning:

Corrine Allal

Dalia Faitelson

And Machina, of course.

Who am I thinking of who sang “Mashiach lo ba”? I especially like the line, “Mashiach gam lo mitalfen, ken ken.”

I like Corrine Allal, too :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard of Dalia Faitleson.

If we’re listing female vocalists, I should probably mention Yehudith Ravitz.

M’khakim L’Mashiach” (which is the name of the song) is one of Shalom Hanoch’s greatest songs of all times. I guess we forgot about him – he definitely belongs in the “pantheon.” And this song is definitely one for the ages.

See post 7 :slight_smile:

I just heard Dalia Faitleson recently on an NPR station and put the album on my Hannukah list. I’ll also mention Shoshana Damari for the people who like the more traditional folk-style songs. As a kid I had an album of Palmach army songs and/or singers that featured stuff like “Hayu Zmanim.”

Oops…! Sorry Martha. Not sure how I missed that :smack:

On the positive side, it means we’ll be able to have a consensus on what we should listen to together, if it comes up! :slight_smile:

Noone Special, admittedly I was too lazy to find links or even put the names in bold, so my post was easy to miss. You’ve confirmed that my favourites from that time have endured as classics and most, like Shalom Hanoch, are still going strong - more than 30 years later.

The last live concert I went to see before leaving Israel was Arik and Shalom together in 1979. During the first of my subsequent visits I saw the Kaveret reunion concert in Jerusalem and Matti Caspi in Park HaYarkon in summer 1984.

Thanks, that’s interesting.

Hadag Nachash was big the summer I spent in ulpan in Natanya. My friend was very into them.

It was odd to listen to Mashina in the mid-80’s, then return to Israel 15 years later, walk into a department store, and hear “Rakevet Laila L’Kahir” playing.