It is possiable to have real peace world wide.

Dear Atreyu:

I am impressed by the charity of your posts in regard to the one of Iyyab.

May I just ask you a very personal question, have you really learned something new or different from what you have already acquired in your mind and heart, in reading these boards here and in contributing to them.

They are people here who have posted over ten thousand times. Do you think that they have undergone some heart and mind modification, or have succeeded in influencing others toward the change of heart and mind?

I had a college professor once who insisted on learning as the modification of heart and mind, reminding us that learning can be good or bad, forward or backward, centrifugal or centripetal, but that there has got to be a change.

For myself, I learned here not to write in the affected style of single lines with a return and a blank space line, on pain of according to one moderator in the Staff Report Comments of having my posting privilege removed.

What about you, learned something here or succeeded in teaching something here?

O.K., here is my contribution about world peace.

Peace and non-violence among mankind is physically possible, one day at a time. Call all nations and peoples to observe a one day peace and non-violence among themselves to and from each other. If one day of peace and non-violence is possible just for one day, it can be stretched to two days, then to three and so on until people realize that it was all stupidity and insanity to have war and violence.

Correct me if I am wrong. But we have today all kinds of drugs to inhibit the un-peace and violence impetus in our heart and mind. What I know is that there are so-called mood-modyfing drugs, the ingestion of which will make a person ‘give no damn to anything’ he gives a damn for previously.

The question is whether the use of such drugs will make people less intelligent, less creative, less moral, less self-motivated, aside from the ones of making a man’s heart and mind to be at peace and to not be violence-prone?

If we consider war and violence a sickness, then we do have the mass medication to rid mankind of this disease; just as we do have the medicine to rid mankind of malaria.

Susma Rio Sep

HA HA HA! very good!

It is possible and probably inevitable that there will be “world peace” in the sense that organized bodies called “nations”, distinct and not organizationally associated with each other, will no longer try to pound the shit out of each other as a means of ironing out their differences.

It is not possible that a day will dawn when no people in quantities of two or more, in informal squabbling, try to pound the shit out of each other as a means of ironing out their differences.

I can live with that.

I have indeed learned new things from my participation in the board. The General Questions forum and the Great Debates forum can be fantastic places for finding information that you didn’t know before.

Regarding whether or not they have learned anything as a result of their extensive participation in the SDMB, I cannot speak for those Dopers who have 10,000 post counts. You will have to ask them that question yourself. However, I strongly suspect that those Dopers would answer in the affirmative.

If you really want to know the answer to that particular question, I would suggest starting a thread on the topic. My guess is that it would go in the IMHO forum.

I’d like to point out that the OP’s website talks pretty casually about “the world” when it’s clear he only means the United States (i.e. talking about metal detectors in schools, which I’m sure is pretty rare outside of the U.S.).

So, does the education of the children include the fact that the world is actually larger than the 50 states?

Susma Rio Sep: We have multiple drugs that would make a person less inclined to violence, each of them with varying levels of effectiveness and varying side-effects. You can do a Google search on the names Valium, Thorazine, Heroin (and other Opiates and Opioids), Ecstasy (also called MDMA), and plenty of other substances you will certainly come across in your searches.

Any one of those drugs will make a given person less violent, but only by reducing their energy and mental acuity. Heroin, for example, is known to produce a blissful state where the person has no will to do anything at all, but is also highly addictive and causes brain damage. Ecstasy makes people feel more empathetic at the cost of altering their mind’s chemistry, perhaps permanently. As you can see, each drug has its consequence, and the more powerful drugs have worse consequences. There is no `perfect’ drug.

Habitual drug users are commonly unable to do complex tasks. Heroin users, for example, have been known to ruin their lives and end up destitute. Much of this is related to the fact that they must perform illegal acts to pay for their illegal and highly expensive drugs, but the heroin itself is taking a toll. An effective nation cannot be largely addicted to drugs.

Finally, who will be trusted to administer the drugs? Who will be given the task to make sure everyone uses their prescribed anti-agression drugs? I, for example, will not take any drugs of that sort. Someone would have to physically restrain me first. Physical restraint is a violent act. Do you follow me? We’d need a class of people who are not given the drugs to force people like me to take them, and then who would be trusted with watching them?

Don’t forget marijuana.