It's 100% official- I'm a doctor.

I graduated on Friday.
The ceremony was only an hour (and completely in Latin), with a drinks reception laid on by the college afterwards.

Later that afternoon my parents treated my husband and I to lunch, and then the two of us danced the night away at the Graduation Ball (co-incidentally, held in the same hotel as Charlie Haughey’s after-funeral party, so we had some interesting gate-crashers).

All-in-all, it hovered between a total anti-climax, profound relief to get it all over with and sadness that so many friends I have become close to over the past 6 years will no longer be in my life in the same way.

Anyway, here’s me and my husband, and you can just see Trinity’s Campanile in the background, and me without the cap and gown, slightly the worse for wear after several glasses of champagne.

Congratulations!

And, BTW – my wrist hurts when I move it like this

Congratulations irishgirl! That’s a big achievement.

Well then don’t move it like that. :slight_smile:

I wanted to do that joke! :mad: :frowning:

<sulks>

Many Congratulations, Irishgirl! :slight_smile: :cool:

Congrats, Dr. irishgirl!

Congrats!

-Tcat

A hundred thousand whatevertheyare’s, irishgirl. You’ll be standing in on the Dope for Qadgop during American night hours now you’re qualified, I take it?

irishgirl–you need to contact TubaDiva, & get your Usename changed to–
Doctor Irishgirl

Too cool. :cool:

And you earned it!

Woo-hoo!

:Flings confetti wildly:

That’s great! Congratulations!

Doctor Irish Girl

Doktor Irish Girl

Dr. Irish Gril

DoctorGirl

So many to choose from, good job though.
[looks at photos]

Wow, when I can I set up an appointment for a complete physical?

Congratulations, Doctor. :wink:

The next step is grabbing a ride to Gallifrey and hooking up with the TARDIS…

Congratulations!!!

Irishgirl, M.D.?
Irishgirl, M.B.?
Irishgirl, M.B. B.Chir.?
Irishgirl, M.B. Ch.B.?
Irishgirl, M.B.B.S.?
Irishgirl, B.M.B.S.?

Wow, it must be so exciting to actually be finished. Big congratulations to you! :slight_smile:

Irishgirl BA MB BCh BAO actually!
I have Bachelor degrees in Medicine, Chirurgery (it’s archaic for surgery), Obstetrics and an honorary Bachelor of Arts (just for turning up for 4 years).

Or, as my parchment says:

HIC LITERIS TESTAMUR
IRISHGIRL
IN PUBLICIS COMITIIS 16.VI.MMVI CELEBRATIS
PLENUM AC PERFECTUM BACCALAUREATUS IN ARTIBUS
ET IN MEDICINA ET IN CHIRURGIA ET IN ARTE OBSTETRICIA
GRADUM CAPESSIVISSE, PRAESTITIS PRIUS OMNIBUS
OFFICIIS EXERCITIISQUE PER LEGES
AC CONSUETUDINES ACADEMIAE REQUISITIS

See Doc I get this shooting pain in my right side whenever I… ummmm… sorry.

Congrats Dr. irishgirl! What kind of doctor are you btw? [del]Nosy[/del] Inquiring dopers want to know.

You have a shooting pain?
Then, stop shooting.

Well, as of the beginning of August I will be a JHO for a year and then an SHO for a year (sort of like an intern and first year resident), and I have two years of rotations in Cardiology, General and Acute medicine, Vascular surgery, Psychiatry and OB/GYN ahead of me.

After those two years, I plan to go into OB/GYN, but we shall see.

At the moment 2 years of 70 hour working weeks and many sleepless nights on-call loom before me, so I’ll see how I handle that before deciding to go into a specialty that is renowned for crappy hours and lots of on-call work. Babies seem to like to be born at 4am!

You never know, I could end up going into something that respects my need for sleep. Dermatology, Pathology or Opthalmology (which are renowned for the 9-5, Monday-Friday hours, and very little in the way of emergency or on-call work)might seem a lot more attractive in a few months time!

Wow, I’m surprised no one’s gone here yet…

“Doc, want me to turn my head and cough?”

:eek: :smiley: :wink:

Way to go IrishDocGirl!!!

Way to go, IrishDoc!