It's a fucking dog. Get over it.

:confused: You are going to have to do a better job of explaining apparently contradictory statements like these before we can get an adequate sense of what the heck your point is.

That’s fine. I still think it’s weird.

And hey, your beloved Turkey Curse has only ever been in two fights. One over the dog, one for the besmirched honor of my sister (really). I got my ass kicked the second time. You and me, Jackmannii, we aren’t “connecting” here because I seem to have pissed you off. There is no middle ground. It’s like the whole religion thing, folks have to agree to disagree. But it’s a hell of a lot of fun to fight over.

Out of curiosity, what is the other part on which you base your claim of my anti-sociality [made up word]?

Alright, let’s start this over.

I’ll even try to not be mean this time.

People obsess on their animals. I think this is stupid. I do not say you can not do it. I just think it is dumb.

I think the dog is not an integral part of the family. Dogs are fun. They are nice to play with. I do not mind taking care of them. But I do not feel like I’ve lost a sibling or something when it dies. I think that is weird. I think that is stupid. But I recognize that it happens.

This is my point: I think it’s weird for a person to care more for the well being of an animal than a person.

Here is an example: A girl I once dated could watch horror movies forever. People got mutilated in ways that made me nauseous. She could laugh it off all day.

But if a movie came along where a dog so much as broke a leg, she nearly broke down and cried every time. I felt sorry for the dog, but I didn’t worry about it too much.

I ain’t saying you can’t love the animals. I just think it’s stupid to love 'em more than people. I understand that it happens. I just wanted to bitch about it.

Move on to the next fucking thread, I guess. Point lost amidst the bullshit.

Why? Animals aren’t judgemental and won’t try to screw you over like most people will.

That’s not an example of someone loving a dog more than she loves people. That’s just an emotional reaction.

You do realize whose bullshit it was, right?

Actually, I don’t think that’s suprising. Animals are usually innocent and don’t deserve to get run over by a car. People in horror movies are usually annoying and you don’t mind when the nut when the chainsaw cuts them up.

Partially because there’s a sense of unreality to the whole thing. Horror movies are rarely realistic, so I’m not so bothered by the idea of a teen being chased by a chainsaw wielding maniac. On the other hand, I it’s hard for me to sit through the toture scene in Resevior Dogs without feeling uncomfortable as it’s a bit more realistic. And finally, Seeing an animal get killed is a bit too close for comfort.

There aren’t very many people apart from my family that I would go into a burning building for, I’d much rather save the dog. Dogs love you unconditionally, people will most often shit on you first chance it does something for them.

Who knows why? I just do. I wanted to start an argument. I sure as hell got one.

Baloney. Sure horror movies are hokey. But the movies like Resevoir Dogs that make me squirm couldn’t make this girl bat an eye. I know a couple of guys too that watch the stuff “for ideas just in case.” I don’t hang out with them very often. One of them has a dog he babies to no end. The other doesn’t care for much of anyone or anything. So you guys would rather see people get mutilated than animals?

Not to totally single you out here, but that’s what I’m talking about. People may shit on you. But a dog will bite you, too. Come on.

So because people are scared of being hurt, they find solace in a pet. Pets don’t cheat on you, they won’t balk on their rent. They’re totally reliant. Very safe.

But a dog can’t give you advice, a dog doesn’t soothe my pain. That’s a very shallow love to me, because the dog doesn’t know any better. It knows me and only me, in that case. Fear of rejection coupled with loneliness to create a friendship that is based on providing shelter and food.

A person will love you for who you are. A dog loves you because you feed him. Sure there’s affection from you and a sense of protection about the dog…but that animal would be the same for any person who took it in.

It is true that in rare cases, a dog will bite you for no apparent reason. The majority of the cases are you being an asshat though.

Yep, exactly. Only it’s not because I’m afraid of getting hurt. I have a wife, six wonderful children, and three dogs. It’s not a replacement, it’s just a few more lives I share a part of.

True, a dog can’t give me advice, but my dogs do know me better than just the guy that feeds them. They can tell when I’m in a playful mood, they can tell when I’m not. The oldest can certainly tell when I don’t feel well, as he will not jump on me, but rather lay on the floor in front of the couch. If I’m just sitting there, or laying there and feel fine, he’s in my lap. Tell me he doesn’t know me.

Sure, just as a child would be the same for any loving parents that adopted it. Your point?

Actually, after thinking about it I have to amend that. My dogs do give me advice, they are mostly dead on with their feelings about other people. As well as my father-in-law who is a K-9 trainer. Tell him those dogs don’t give him advice. I know, that’s an extreme case, but they are seen as members of the police force, not just a dog.

Wow, you’re one fucked up dude, Turkey Curse. :eek:

Might I suggest in a humble manner that many people read this board at work. Thus, when they click on the Pit, they might not wish to see swear words or not safe for work titles. They may very well subscribe to them to read later. However, they want to not have to worry about co-workers or bosses getting them in trouble.

Plus, a well crafted put down is much more enjoyable than mere swear words.

So what you’re saying is that being horrified by the torture of a sentient being is stupid, because that sentient being isn’t human. That is some fucked up shit, and I say that as a woman who frequently remarks, “That dog’s gonna die. Which one of these coffee cups is mine?”

Love, compassion, and empathy are never stupid, imo, regardless of the target of those feelings.

People obsess over football teams. I think this is stupid. I do not say they cannot do it. I just think it is dumb.

We all have different likes and dislikes, and what works for one person may not do anything for another. You think people who treat their pets like babies are crazy, weird and strange. I feel the same way about football fanatics. The only time this becomes an issue is when one or the other of us starts a thread criticizing the other.

Your point was that you don’t get the reasons for the affection that people lavish on their pets? Ok, whatever. You can keep on believing that you’re somehow smarter than all those nutty people who can’t tell the difference between a dog and a person, and I’ll keep on believing that you’re to be pitied because you’ll never know what you’re missing out on.

[bolding mine]

I love dogs myself. But this aspect of dogs doesn’t particularly appeal to me. I mean your right; if I had a half a mind to; I could beat the shit out of my dog every day for no good reason at all and still the stupid fucker will love me like nobodies bussiness.

This is why human love is so much better. Because when a human loves and then they don’t shit on you the first chance they get, makes it so much more cherrishable.

But yeah I kind of go along with the animous of what the OP is saying. These folks that dress their dogs up in cutesy little sweaters then paarade them around everywhere they go is just…blah…

Superb. Actually your point is bullshit. I take great pride in knowing that my animals are doted on and tended to with “obsessive” care. So a hearty fuck you is what I will send your way. Now next thread.

You know, there is a word for people on these boards that do something like this.

If I’m not mistaken, Turkey Curse’s point is not totally invalid - there are a fair number of people in this country who will provide huge outpourings of sympathy, outrage, and even money in the case of an animal having been abused, who wouldn’t lift a finger in the case of a child’s having been abused.

He’s been a total asshole about the way he’s expressed that point, but it is a valid point. As with so many issues, people in general and Americans in particular are swayed by emotions; we had people terrified to fly after 9/11 when their real fear should have been the drive to the airport; people who will scream about lack of patriotism if they see a flag burning, but cheat on their income taxes routinely; people who will send a $50 check to help a cute little puppy but vote in the next guy who will lower their annual tax bill by that same $50 and cut benefits for poor children.

I am an animal lover and a dog owner. I think Turkey Curse’s comments on the absurdity of deep attachment to pets are not only stupid, but lacking in relevance. But his point about people getting more excited about harm to a cute animal than about harm to a human being is valid.

Off track, but these “good kind” of protestors are, for all intents and purposes, putting the value of a dog above the value of a human. Scientific testing on animals is a necessary evil if you would like to see advances made against AIDS, Alzheimers, MS, etc. Because the FDA won’t approve new drugs that haven’t been tested on animals. For some reason they want a reasonable assurance that taking the new drug won’t turn human patients into rabid mutants and the only way to reasonably do that is to first test it on animals.

Now if they want to protest to improve the conditions of the animals while they’re being tested…well, that’s a noble and necessary thing. Sign me up. But people who protest against animal testing of any kind…well, let’s just say that, “any sane human being would save a fellow human…before a dog.”