[QUOTE=Tuckerfan]
Yeah, but that’s not what they’re using the money for. They’re using it to pay Ed’s salary for admining the board (at least that’s what the thread announcing the ads said, but I’ve no idea how to find it, since we can’t search for 3 letter terms).
[/QUOTE]
Could you do a search for Admin Salary and perhaps get a hit?
And for god’s sake, please I’d just like to be able to read the board for more than ten minutes without it timing out on me All. The. Fucking. Time! I don’t even post that often, I mainly like to read. But when it takes 20 attempts to open the one fucking thread (Believe me, I counted) then that’s just taking the piss, really.
[QUOTE=Sierra Indigo]
Could you do a search for Admin Salary and perhaps get a hit?
[/QUOTE]
Nope, as I remember the message, it stated that the ad revenue went to “pay Ed’s salary.” Searching on “salary” ATMB (which, IIRC, was where the thread was, but I could be mistaken) yielded a handful of hits, but none of them had the relevant info. It could be that the thread’s been hidden away with all the others that have been yanked to try and improve(?) board performance.
[QUOTE=Tuckerfan]
It could be that the thread’s been hidden away with all the others that have been yanked to try and improve(?) board performance.
[/QUOTE]
Actually, the threads were yanked so that we could post at all. They’ve run up against a data base limit to how much can be stored.
[QUOTE=Sierra Indigo]
And for god’s sake, please I’d just like to be able to read the board for more than ten minutes without it timing out on me All. The. Fucking. Time! I don’t even post that often, I mainly like to read. But when it takes 20 attempts to open the one fucking thread (Believe me, I counted) then that’s just taking the piss, really.
[/QUOTE]
I say this not to excuse, and in all honesty: It’s a lot better than it used to be.
Garfield226, yeah, it’s better than the worst days of when it was a free board and you always had problems (save at 3 AM or so), but considering that now we’re paying for this crap, it should be humming like a high dollar whore.
Yeah. I haven’t wanted to say anything, but I’ve been wondering about that. AFAIK even old vBulletin 2.x could have, in theory, more than 2x10[sup]9[/sup] posts. I can’t explain why the SDMB has to have posts removed; I’m guessing it’s some other problem.
~
I don’t recall anything about the adverts paying Ed’s salary. I remember an off the cuff comment about “Ed has to be paid” which was in reference to overall Straight Dope online presence costs, and which may not have been totally serious.
[QUOTE=elmwood]
There are many vBulletin-based message boards with far more posts than the Straight Dope.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, but the amount of data in database would depend on a large part of the size of each post also. And some posters in Great Debates can be quite verbose. One post by them probably corresponds to 1000 posts saying “omg! lol!”
[QUOTE=Arnold Winkelried]
Yes, but the amount of data in database would depend on a large part of the size of each post also. And some posters in Great Debates can be quite verbose. One post by them probably corresponds to 1000 posts saying “omg! lol!”
[/QUOTE]
The maximum number of posts a vBulletin forum can theoretically contain is 4,294,967,296.
I knew this was going to fucking happen-once we switched to pay, they can no longer go by “our board, our rules, too bad”. We’re paying for this shit, but we’re still getting that attitude.
I’m not happy about being right in this case.
[QUOTE=Guinastasia]
I knew this was going to fucking happen-once we switched to pay, they can no longer go by “our board, our rules, too bad”. We’re paying for this shit, but we’re still getting that attitude.
I’m not happy about being right in this case.
[/QUOTE]
And you know what? When this board gets humming again, and all’s right with the world, you’ll be the first to chime in with a bazillion posts about how great every-fuckin-thing is and why are people bitchin.’
Been there with you, done this, tired of it. (As a personal poster. Not as a mod. )
[QUOTE=Arnold Winkelried]
Yes, but the amount of data in database would depend on a large part of the size of each post also. And some posters in Great Debates can be quite verbose. One post by them probably corresponds to 1000 posts saying “omg! lol!”
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=elmwood]
The maximum number of posts a vBulletin forum can theoretically contain is 4,294,967,296.
[/QUOTE]
My understanding was that the limit came from the database software, not vBulletin, but I could be mistaken.
So you are saying that some time in the past something obvious happened and Guin failed to chime in with a comment? I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask for a cite.
[QUOTE=wring]
ya know, as long as the PTB keep believing that the complaints only come from chronic malcontents, they’ll continue to miss the fucking point.
[/QUOTE]
Hope you don’t consider me to be one of the PTB.
[QUOTE=CarnalK]
So you are saying that some time in the past something obvious happened and Guin failed to chime in with a comment? I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask for a cite.
[/QUOTE]
I’m saying that Guin doesn’t fail to chime in whether it’s rain or shine.