It's called trying to buy your way out of depression

And you LAUGHING in my ear about how silly it is to “spend money you don’t have” doesn’t help, stupid mother. It just makes me angrier, and more desperate. I already know that, but
when happiness seems like just an expensive cup of coffee away, it seems worth a Visa charge. It doesn’t hit me until after I drink it that I’ve just put myself deeper into the hole just for some stupid cup of coffee (despite the fact that they promise caffiene gives you a sense of well-being).

Yeah, I put a double latte on my Mastercard yesterday, so I know how you feel. I’ll be paying that off for a few months. D’oh!

Two words, my friend: crack and hookers… crack and hookers… :wink:

But was the coffee black or not?

Alcohol. Much better than caffeine in those circumstances. You can spend a lot more money on alcohol without worrying about it than you can spend on caffeine.

pizzabrat, your mother is always right. She can be right about the same thing over and over again, for years. That way she feels good, you’re happy because you’ve been ignoring her except to say “Yes, Mom” and doing what you wanted to do in the first place, and the nice credit card people will let you know if you have to stop doing that. Mom’s scarier, but they’re more likely to hire lawyers.

Alcohol is a depressant.

Caffeine (or just about any other stimulant,) works a lot better when you’re bummed out.

That being said, I’m real glad I can’t purchase methylenedioxy-n-methylamphetamine with a credit card.

(“Aw! The Visa people sent me another personalized letter! I love those guys!”)

(BTW 2trew, the reason I missed the sarcasm in your post is it’s three a.m. here and I’m full of brandy. Layers of irony.)

pizzabrat, i don’t think you are trying to get outta your depression by buying expensive coffee.

even you know that.

happiness doesn’t cmoe from the external.

sure… you need to be fed, clothed, have a safe home…

but caffeine is not a basic necessity

What world do you live in? It most certainly is.

pizzabrat, I’ve been blessed in that I have never experienced depression. In fact, some would probably diagnose me as hypomanic.

That being said, I can sure understand how a nice expensive latte, or some new boots, or perhaps a duvet cover can really perk up the day.

Buy your coffee. Deal with your expenses, and tell yer mom to bog off.

What you say is “Mom - bog off.” She probably won’t know what you mean, and while she’s puzzling about it, you can make your escape. :slight_smile:

I hope you feel better. :slight_smile:

Hmm, many layers of lifestyles going on here. On the one hand, I have always made a point of not using credit for consumables (like coffee, dinners out, groceries, etc.). On the other hand, sometimes a little self-indulgence goes a long way when you’re feeling down.

Let’s look at your coffee purchase. Why buy expensive coffee? Did you need the caffeine boost, or was it a reaction to feelings of powerlessness in other areas of your life? Was it the coffee you wanted, or just to buy something? If it was just coffee, a cheaper type of coffee (or making some at home) might work better if money’s tight right now. If it’s just the good feeling from buying something, maybe something cheaper would suffice also; maybe a pack of gum or some candy or something.

Although, in the big picture, a cup of coffee is not a make-or-break kind of purchase. Maybe you could budget yourself for a certain quantity of coffee purchases each week, and have something to look forward to ("Oh great! Today’s Thursday - I can have a cup of coffee on the way home!)

(Oh, I forgot to add that from the title, I thought this was going to be about the Liberals’ new budget.)

I am with **featherlou ** on not using consumables on credit.

My philosophy has been: If it ends up in the toilet or the ozone, pay cash. ( that would mean food, drinks or gas)

Why pay for interest on something that by the time the bill comes in it (the product) is in the toilet or in the ozone layer. Cash only for these.

…to be fair, it’s perfectly acceptable to say something about someone’s buying habits when you are affected. My dad just lost his job. In order to combat the depression that comes with that, he bought a new car.

A brand new car. A 2003 Cherokee. His previous car was a 2000 Explorer, and there wasn’t anything wrong with it.

In this case, his purchase might affect my ability to, oh, say, have their part of my tuition paid. So then I’m allowed to say something. I would never laugh, though. Just be careful, OK?

Last time I checked, a 40 of Olde English was $2.50.

Well, sure, WE, if you’ve got money to burn …

Well hon, if it’s your credit rating that’s at stake I say bitch all you want.

The thing is, last time I checked Moms all over the world had a monopoly on the guilt and nagging industry. You say that her laughing about it doesn’t help, but it doesn’t sound like you’re exactly looking for help either.

My $0.02

What’s Thunderbird going for these days?