It's Just An OS, Bitches!

It’s not like someone said they fucked your mom or something ferchisakes!

Take a look at the ninnies in this thread, acting like a bunch of whiney titsmacks! Isn’t there something a little more crucial to get your digital panties all tied in knots about than a stupid, freaking OS? And in MPSIMS of all places!

“Apple sucks!”
“No, MS sucks!”
“No, Apple sucks…infinity!”
“Well Linux kicks both your asses.”
::Sticks fingers in ears:: “La la la la la la la!”

I mean…Christ! Come on, grow up!

All of you. Go to your rooms right now! No dinner for you until you kiss and make up!

Coming to a theater near you … SDMB’s own Demo stars in …

The Wrath of the Computer Geeks.

Watch as Demo gets beaten with a slide rule, and attempts to clear his name in the seamy underworld that is Usenet.
Seriously, dude, I’m with you, but you might as well start a thread that says, “Star Trek was just a TV show.”

I got your back, but this’ll be an uphill battle.

It’s been a while since I’ve been flamed. I’m with you, Demo.

Sure, that’s what they said about Multex.

Hey Demo- I fucked your mom!

Zette

Evidently, Demo, you are unacquainted with the fact that Bill Gates is the Dark Prince and the licensing agreement for Windows is actually his contract for your soul.

stoid

You mean MULTICS?

Or,Stoid, as we learn in a Dilbert comic that I can’t find at the moment, merely opening the box containing any version of Windows indicates your agreement to be Bill Gates’s cabana person.

“It’s just an OS”.

Well, by analogy, it doesn’t matter whether I buy a $25.00 Black and Decker jigsaw or a Bosch 1587AVS jigsaw because they’re both jigsaws. Nevermind that one is a cheap consumer model designed to be a throwaway and the other is one of the most highly regarded tools on the market.

You may argue that Mac and Windows zealots often bicker about trivialities. But to say that there is no difference in functionality, usability, or design simply because they fall under the same general software classification is just vacuous. Particularly when you consider that the OS is the most vital single piece of software on your computer – without it, the computer is essentially as valuable as the bits of sand that were used to construct it.

And maybe it’s just me, but is it a bit contradictory to complain that people are posting about non “crucial” issues in “MPSIMS of all places”? Look up the acronym, OK?

While all this is true, it doesn’t justify the constant flame wars about which OS is “better”. Give us a definition of OS quality, and some data from each OS to compare, and then we’ll listen.

An OS is very important, but it’s still just an OS.

Yeah, Demo, you’re probably one of those guys who says, “It’s just a finite element analysis application.” Insensitive bastard! :wink:

No. I was extending a private joke in a public forum. I do that sometimes.

Sorry. [sub]To make things worse, it was an RP joke–what a geek![/sub]

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Finagle *
“It’s just an OS”.

Well, by analogy, it doesn’t matter whether I buy a $25.00 Black and Decker jigsaw or a Bosch 1587AVS jigsaw because they’re both jigsaws. Nevermind that one is a cheap consumer model designed to be a throwaway and the other is one of the most highly regarded tools on the market. **

Yeah, you’re right. It’s just a jigsaw. And, by continuing your [weak] analogy, there would still be no reason to get your panties in a twist over it in a thread that was meant to be light-hearted.

** You may argue that Mac and Windows zealots often bicker about trivialities. But to say that there is no difference in functionality, usability, or design simply because they fall under the same general software classification is just vacuous. Particularly when you consider that the OS is the most vital single piece of software on your computer – without it, the computer is essentially as valuable as the bits of sand that were used to construct it. **

Heheh, he said “vacuous”. Anyway… Holy shit, do you always read too deep into things the way you’re reading into this? Show me where I mentioned or even implied that there was “no difference in functionality, usability, or design simply”. Don’t put words in my mouth, bitch. That said, I do agree with you that an OS is the most important piece of software on the computer but, still, I see no reason for personal attacks over it. It’s just software.

Let’s see what I did say:

So, basically, I’m saying two things. Let me define it in more simple terms for you:

1. I feel that some of the people who are flaming each other in the thread I linked (You did read the thread, didn’t you?) were getting way too worked up over something that, in the end, is really inconsequential.

2. The second part of my statement was intended to convey my shock that people who (IMO were already overreacting to the issue) were actually flaming each other in MPSIMS

You aren’t supposed to flame people in MPSIMS, right?

Maybe you need to look up the acronym, Finagle.

Demo,

You posted in the pit. I responded rationally with a degree of heat that wouldn’t even register on the Scoville scale and you’re getting your panties in a wad? I’d stay out of the pit if I’d were you.

For someone who can’t understand why people get worked up over something that matters to them (like religions, or operating systems), you seem to be taking my post very seriously. I think you need a nap.

You too, Zette? She wasn’t very good, I’m sorry to report. Loose like a mailbox.

Geez, stop backpedalling. It’s not like I’m going to take you to the parking lot or anything!

Since it’s almost Friday, and I’m in a happy mood, instead of replying to you, I am going to have fun by only pointing out the logistic errors in you posts.

Since I didn’t start out this way, let me backtrack and start from the beginning:

1. That whole “no difference in functionality, usability, or design simply” thing. It’s been a while since I took logic, but I believe putting words in someone’s mouth falls under the category of Ad Hominem.

2. “For someone who can’t understand why people get worked up over something that matters to them (like religions, or operating systems), you seem to be taking my post very seriously.” (Bolding mine) False Analogy.
    Give me some more material to work with, please.

You refer, of course, to an OS used by people who don’t use Macs, the MacOS being non-stupid and unclined to freak.

Zette, I’m not one to splort beverages all over my monitor or keyboard (WTF is up with those people? They need help.) But, if I was, I would have some type of beverage all over the place. Well, if I was drinking a beverage. Anyway, you made my day.
Anyway, I fucked my mom too. Sorry I wrecked dat azz for you, MrC.

unf unf unf unf unf unf unf unf unf

Damn straight! They are both just OSs.

Now, when you start talking hardware…