It's Like Kissing Your Sister: Nice But It Don't Mean Nuthin'

Michael Douglas once commented on how hard it was to play a sex scene with an actress who you’re not involved in. He described how he would go over the scene and say, “Now I’m going to touch you here, now here” so she wouldn’t be surprised and they could keep it professional.

The show I’m in right now involves a fairly long necking scene with a friend of mine. What makes things slightly weirder is that my wife is also onstage, also necking with another friend (the director’s specific instructions for the scene was "lots o’ lovin’ ").

Wait…what exactly are we discussing here? Whether or not bloodline invalidates the argument that they’re just doing their jobs? Our personal feelings toward sibling kissing, and the relevance of such to two people we’re not even remotely related to? What the normal level of squeamishness by two professional actors in such a situation should be?

I don’t find “ewwwww” and rambling boneheads on YouTube all that interesting. Someone please help me out here.

Bricker - Well, I can’t speak for them, but my guess is that, yes, they’d be professionals about it and not get all squicked out. I mean, for Pete’s sake, a kiss. Any competent actor should be able to handle it. What the hell does this have to do with sex, anyway? It’s bad enough that our culture hypersexualizes everything; we shouldn’t be adding to it.

(P.S. Does anything longer than half a second qualify as “French” now?)

Real-life siblings Harry and Daisy Earles played an engaged couple in Freaks (1932), but there were no physical displays of passion between them.

Half a second or half an hour I think the only qualifier to designate “French Kissing”* is the use of the tongue to caress the tongue of the partner. In the Kickboxing Academy clips there certainly isn’t anything that I would refer to as “Tonsil Hockey” but there are a few moments where it seems like maybe tongues are put to use somewhat. Thus, despite the brevity, I think it qualifies as “French Kissing”.

*O.K. I suppose an alternate qualifier to designate “French Kissing” might be two French people kissing, i.e. a French grandmother planting a light familial peck on her French grandchild could, I suppose, qualify as “French Kissing”.

Well, “seems like” is the point, isn’t it? There’s no reason to believe they are actually using tongues. Though I’ve never done a stage kiss, I wouldn’t think it is that hard to fake it.

For some reason an open-mouthed stage kiss between siblings doesn’t squick me out but the thought of them using tongues does.

Ultimately, though, my main :dubious: thought is why would you cast siblings in such roles to begin with? They inevitably look at least a bit alike, and unless you’re going for that vibe for a particular reason (a rolicking eugenics rom-com, perhaps?) why not avoid the ick and cast someone else? I know, I know - there is only one actor/actress in the world who could possibly play whatser/isname in Kickbocking Academy… :rolleyes:

Sorry, the thought of brother and sisters kissing doesn’t steam up my glasses, even if I found Jake and Maggie good looking.

Did ya read a lot of VC Andrews as a kid?

Ah, sorry, when I said “seems like” I meant that in my own estimation, having reviewed the clips- specifically to critique the mechanics of the exchange- I believe there were brief points at which one sibling or the other:[ul]
[li]had his/her tongue outside of his/her own mouth at least[/li][li]and possibly in the mouth of the sibling or . . .[/li][li]at least touching the sibling’s lips[/li][/ul]

I said “seems like” because I can’t say for sure, as the shots aren’t especially close-up, the kisses are quite brief, and the camera angles aren’t conducive to a definitive answer. However, despite those three layers of obfuscation I do believe I witnessed at least a brief instance or two of unsheathed tongue.
I only pointed it out as I had interpreted DKW’s question to be based on an assumption that other posters were recklessly using the term “French” based upon nothing more than the duration of the kiss. My post was to demonstrate that the instances of kissing being discussed may have, and I believe did, involve use of tongue, not simply by the characters, but by the actors.

Again, the clips are hardly strong evidence for my claim- as it really is hard to tell. Still, that is my assessment though I can respect the accuracy of my assessment being called into question.

Kissing my sister? Nice?

Dude, have you seen my sister?

I think it’d definitely be more difficult than an acting kiss between strangers. I wonder whether a familial kiss would be more or less difficult than a same sex kiss with a stranger. On the other hand, I don’t think a kiss between two sisters would be as difficult, as I’ve heard stories of many sisters who “practice” kissing with each other when they are young. I think age disparity could play a role too.

No but my sisters loved thost books.

Why do you ask?

Whether or not we hypersexualize “everything,” I don’t think it’s unreasonable to look at the kiss those two exchanged and claim it’s devoid of sexual implications. Yes, it’s acting, but at the very least, the acting is supposed to convey sexualized passion.

I’m just mad that they cheapened Kickboxing Academy by adding the love interest at all. It wasn’t in the novel.