It's time to go - do you know where your keys are?

I have a keyhole by the front door, which I use pretty religiously. My car fob just lives in a pocket of the little purse I carry over my shoulder when I go out.

I’m pretty organized about this sort of thing, usually. It helps keep the stress down.

They’re in my pocket, in my purse, or on the vanity in my bedroom.

My keys are in my handbag - currently in the bedroom. Otherwise, they’re in my hand, or in the car :slight_smile:

Cupholder in the car. That’s just the car key, because it’s been so long since I locked my house I’ve lost the house key.

StG

When I come home, I put the keys on my desk (both the personal keys and the keys I need for work, which are on two separate keyrings) along with my wallet, handkerchief and iPhone. Before I go to bed, the iPhone gets moved to the wireless charger by my bed. So yes, the keys have a regular place. I never wear the same trousers two days in a row (nor the same shoes), so unlike some others, I can’t just leave them in the pocket.

If my keys are in the house, they are on a hook beside the door. If they are not in the house they are clipped to a belt loop or in the ignition.

My keys, when not in my pocket, are in my purse, which now has a designated spot of its own (I’ve actually achieved some clutter mine-out lately). DH has a bin for pocket/belt stuff (of which he carries much too much, IMO), including the belt-mount key reel with a detachable part his car keys are on.

It’s very rare that I misplace my keys (if we don’t count those few occasions when I’ve accidentally left them hanging in the lock on the outside :unamused:) as I’ve had some kind of hook by the front door of everywhere I’ve lived for the last 30+ years. Prior to that, I misplaced frequently. The most memorable being the time I frantically searched for them and finally found them under the vacuum cleaner after two hours of frantically searching :woman_facepalming:

I don’t either, but I just leave them in my pocket anyway. When I get dressed in the morning, I transfer the contents of yesterday’s pockets to today’s pockets.

in the house, command hook by the door; out of the house, pocket.

Great question!

I lose my beer more often than my keys.

Keyless ignition so key fob w/house key stays in my purse.

House stays locked even when we’re home.

House is on Dead end street next to wooded acreage in flyover country.

I trust not strangers.

That tiny extra front pocket of my jeans. I’ve heard it called a pocket watch pocket.

Ahhh, another way my “Travel Light” theory is working. I’ve pared down to two keys (car and house), and even got a non-fob car key made.

So those two, on a tiny ring, fit easily. And I still have room there for a “just running in to pick up my coffee but if i don’t plug the meter, I know I’ll get ticketed” quarter.

(So, with a car too old for keyless anything, I’m never going back to get my key or rummaging in a purse for it.)

I’m pretty disorganized, but I understand my personal style of disorganization well enough that I seldom misplace keys and things, or for only a short time at worst. Rarely if ever have I outright lost anything, or even misplaced to the extent it took more than maybe 5 or 10 minutes to find.

I have a good friend, on the other hand, who has several times in the many years I’ve known him lost his keys, phone or wallet. And I’m talking losing losing, to the point where he has to get a ride to pickup his spare set of keys, or cancel his credit cards because his wallet is just gone.

Ditto. I am very surprised that so few posters do this, or some version of it. So I’d like to ask a few followup questions:

Why do so many people have this need to put their keys somewhere when they get home, rather than keep it in the same place as it had been while out (namely: pocket, purse, wherever). Is it really that uncomfortable to leave them in your pocket?

And if leaving keys in your pocket IS uncomfortable, then I am very curious what you do while at work. Do you leave your keys in a desk drawer at work, and then realize that they’re still in your desk when you arrive at your car to go home? Etc etc etc

No, at work, the keys remain in my pocket but once I go home, I empty my pockets and usually switch to sweat pants.

Away from home, my keys are in my pocket. At home, they are in the bowl on the hutch along with my wallet and EDC stuff. The only exception is if I’m someplace with valet parking.

I avoid this problem by having my mask in a small bag attached to … my keyring carabiner.

Personal keys are always in my right front pants pocket if not in use. Work keys are hanging from a hook on my belt during work hours, and in the Security KeyMaster when not at work.

I generally change clothes when I get home from work. Even more so nowadays. And my at-home kikois and Thai fisherman’s pants don’t have pockets.

At home - in “my” one of 2 drawers in the sofa table right inside the front door. Along with my wallet and inhaler. If they are not there, they had better be in my right front pants pocket. But I generally empty my pockets when at home. The only other acceptable place is a pullout drawer in my closet.

I’m not generally anal about a ton of things, but I do value being able to get out of the door relatively quickly without having to search for necessities.