I've never eaten Peanut Butter before...

Since I was a wee lass I have been told that I am allergic to peanut oil. Since then I have avoided peanuts, peanut products, and anything “processed on a machine that processes peanuts” like the plague. Now that I am the ripe old age of 26 and have debunked a bunch of other crap my parents have told me, I decided to find out for myself if I was truly allergic to peanut butter.

So last week I snuck down to the kitchen in the middle of the night and with the phone right next to me (ready to dail 911 should my experiment fail), I made and ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And I waited.

After about 20 minutes I realized that I wasn’t going into anaphylatic shock. In fact, besides a slight sticky sensation in my mouth (I never knew that pb&j’s required milk), I felt fine. I know it was really stupid, but if I was really allergic to peanuts I wouldn’t be here writing this. When I told Mr. Toes he got really pissed (“You could have died! What were you thinking?” etc.)

I was so scared that I didn’t even enjoy the sandwich. But since then, I have been making up for lost time. Peanut butter fudge! Peanut butter swirl ice cream! Reeses Pieces! For the first time, I can eat Thai food! I am dizzy with all the culinary delights made from the humble peanut.

Hmm…so your parents lied to you?
Or can you grow out of an allergy?
Were you mis-diagnosed as a kid?
Or ss MrToes indeed planning your funeral now, due to a delayed reactions to your foolish diddle with nuts?

Well, I guess congrats are in order - happy legume ingestion!

::I wonder if Hallmart has a card for born again nut noshers?::

Given a choice, when the doctors start talking about things like seizures and ambulances, most parents will probably lean towards “paranoid.” Our daughter got a slight rash once after getting amoxycillin, and our doctors said, “Hah! She’s allergic to penicillin! No more of the pink stuff for her!”

My wife figured the doctors were full of it, and she resents that they put it on her chart, but I pointed out the possible consequences of ignoring them…

So, I have to assume there is a more clinical, reliable test that can be done for this, short of conducting a live test of your 911 Emergency Response system.

If, in fact, you turn out to not be allergic to peanuts, have fun. You might want to take a little gander at the nutrition content, though… rumors are that peanut butter is a little heavy on the fat…

Thus do I commit my 7,000th post to the ether. Be thou amazed.

Do you have a dog?

Yep, there are clinical methods of allergy testing:

http://www.aaaai.org/patients/publicedmat/tips/whatisallergytesting.stm

If someone had told me all my life that I was allergic to peanuts, and I later found out I wasn’t, after the initial splurge I’d be very pissed off. I LOVE peanuts. I practically lived on peanut butter as a kid. Not to mention that trying to find foods that aren’t “processed on a machine that processes peanuts” is a big hassle. Boy, what a paradigm shift.

I’m not trying to tell you how I think you should feel here jellytoes, but I think I’m going to make damned sure of anything I have to tell my (hypothetical) kids they can’t ever eat.

Enjoy!

jellytoes - welcome to the world of peanut butter eaters! Eating PB straight from the jar is my all-time favorite snack. If you live within shouting distance of a Trader Joe’s, I recommend their store-brand peanut butter, which doesn’t have the added sugar and corn syrup - just pure peanutty goodness, and much easier on the waistline!

I suggest you put the peanut butter on your toes and lick it off. PB&J Toes are a rare find!

I was told I was allergic to aspirin because as an infant I had some kind of reaction to it (likely a rash), so I avoided it until a few years ago. Like you, I had no reaction.

But, I have to admit what you did was quite a bit more risky. Was there anybody around to call 911 if you were unable?

Well, it was a really dumb thing to do, had I turned out to actually be allergic to peanut butter. But my operating theory was that I would try to call 911 if I had to, and Mr. Toes would come looking for me eventually. Actually, the dog would probably come looking for me before Mr. Toes would, but she would alert him (being a dachshund, she is a natural alarmist). Why do you ask, lieu?

I think Ethilrist was right and it was more of a case of parental overreaction than anything else. They did have a tendency to be a wee bit overprotective. Imagine their collective reactions when I moved 3,000 miles away straight out of high school.

Too bad that peanut butter is heavy on the fat. I may have found my new favorite food. And I have allready considered changing my username in honor of my newly discovered love of the peanut (thanks, Kalhoun!)

Does anybody have any favorite peanut butter recipes or other peanutty delights I have to try?

:eek: You don’t know lieu very well, do you? :wink:

Trust me, you don’t want to know why… :smiley:

Here’s a super easy, very tasty recipe for you:

Peanut Butter Balls

1 1/4c peanut butter (smooth or chunky, whatever you choose)
1 1/4c dry milk
3/4c honey

Mix together and roll into 1 inch balls. Put on waxed paper, refrigerate.

Note: It’s easiest to form the balls using your hands, just spray your hands wtih cooking spray first to make it easier.

Well it may be a bit obvious, but really good chocolate, dipped into good peanut butter(non-homogenized, it seperate, but you just stir it back up before you use it) is magnitudes better than a reese cup.

Mmm… good recipe idea! PB and honey is one of my favorite combos.

Also, peanut butter, honey, and bananas… usually in a sandwich.

But I just discovered the Peanut Butter Moo’d smoothie at Jamba Juice. Yum. Now I have to figure out a way to make my own peanut butter and banana smoothies.

I have a wonderful pork and noodle recipe with a peanut butter sauce. I’ll try to dig it up later.

My favorite ‘store-bought’ cookie is Nutter Butters.

Mmmmmm… They’re even shaped like peanuts!

Welcome to our world! I’m so glad you’re not allergic!

Peanut butter is the single best food in the world. I nearly always just eat it right out of the jar.

See, this is the kind of thing I’ve been missing out on! I never even thought about peanut butter and honey! Peanut butter smoothies?!

Give me even the “obvious” ideas, I’m gonna have to try peanut butter and a chocolate bar right now!

Mmmmm… peanuts.

You don’t want to miss Ben & Jerry’s Chubby Hubby. Vanilla malt ice cream with a caramel ribbon and peanut-butter stuffed pretzels dipped in chocolate. Heaven.

My recipe for Pork with Spicy Peanut Sauce:

1 lb pork loin
1 cup sesame oil (or vegetable oil and toasted sesame seeds)
chopped garlic
1/4 cup smoothe peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1 tspn red pepper flakes

Cut the pork into small strips, fry until just done. Mix the sauce and heat with the pork until hot.

Yummy.

Thanks, lieu - I hadn’t thought about that story in at least twenty years. I’ll be chuckling mysteriously on and off for the next few days. :smiley:

Peanut butter & celery
Several sticks of celery
Jar of peanut butter

Spread peanut butter on celery.
Eat.

Peanut Butter Apple
One apple
Jar of peanut butter

Slice apple into wedges.
Spread peanut butter on apple wedges.
Eat.