I've never figured out

Inspired by the search for the Philly Soul tune, I wanted to make a thread about stuff you’ve googled, pondered, maybe even asked around and still can’t find. It doesn’t have to be a song…maybe it’s a recipe or a TV ad or a poem or anything at all—you’re reasonably intelligent and you put some effort into it but dayum!

Mine: I remember playing this arcade video game back in the 1980s (not on a console…in an arcade setting). It was a shoot’em up type, spaceship. If you did it right, you got three ships and they stacked one on top of the other, so you were shooting like 5 photons (or whatever) at a time.

It wasn’t Galaga, where the fighters sit side by side. These stacked. You could have the itty bitty atop the wide one even if the “middle” guy had been lost, as I recall.

I don’t think it was Galaxian either…from what I see in searches that doesn’t look right. Maybe it was an imitator to the franchise.

Where has your google-fu failed you, dopers?

As a kid, on the radio I once heard a Halloween comedy anthology show. It had the Bill Cosby routine about the Chicken Heart, but had a bunch of other Halloween-themed comedy bits as well, mostly from comedians I wasn’t really familiar with (but I was maybe about 10 years old). I’ve found the Cosby chicken heart routine online but never found the full anthology comedy show. This was probably around 1988.

Despite much googling, I’ve never been able to ascertain the D.C.-area band that did “This One’s For You, Carla,” circa 1970 or so.

Moon Cresta

I didn’t watch all the link but I think as you progress you get to dock back on to the larger ships which adds firepower.

Edit: About halfway through the linked video it shows a successful docking with the bigger ship.

Pretty advanced for 1980!

I’m not recognizing the name or graphics but you have the right idea…I think it was 5 years in the future though. IIRC the docking was automatic, but I could be wrong about that.

Thanks for the tip!

It spawned some spin-offs and sequels, maybe one of those is what you are after?

Several things…

• From the mid 1960s in early elementary, a song taught to us about a horse and its mom. I want the lyrics if not an actual recording. The lyrics I can recall:

Eat the grass upon the hill
Drink cool water from the pool
something something, something else and
Leafy shade is nice and cool

Do you know this wobbly colt
Standing 'side me by the lane
Soon a handsome horse will be
This shiny colt blah blah blah blah

• Broadcast television, early early Saturday morning, circa 1967. It was akin to what we now call a music video — the same footage, same music, would be broadcast early before the shows started. Young women in some kind of costumes singing a song… had lyrics I mostly can’t recall but the repeated part was “space, space a go go”. Would be so cool to find a video clip…

• Children’s song on a 45 RPM record about a character called “Pixie Dixie”, no relationship to the mouse characters. I remember a lot of the lyrics on that one…

Even Rudolph needs Pixie Dixie
Just before he leads the sleigh
That is why on Christmas eve
Santa never lost his way
Delivering toys to {?} kids
For you to find on Christmas day
Pixie Dixie is always laughing

Can’t find any trace of it

• Another childhood 45; The A side was Alvin and the Chipmunks singing the a, b, c’s of preventing forest fires; the B side was a more serious & somber tune, The Sigh of the Dying Trees. Would love to get a bead on those as well.

If there’s a nostalgia-type of Facebook page for the town or school where you grew up, someone might remember it. People post stuff like that a lot on the FB page for my old town.

I think you’re right…a sequel, probably. Thanks!

I saw a…UFO…in 2004 (I was 35). Couldn’t see the craft but noticed a strange gray smudge in the night sky and went and got my $$$ birdwatching binoculars (may have even gotten my more powerful spotting scope- I don’t recall that though- I’m sure I didn’t want to leave again for fear it would go away). The smudge, in focus, looked like gaseous plumes (4 of them) coming out from the four corners of whatever it was (which was as dark as the sky so no defining shape or features - but there was a blinking light in there). I watched it for a good 45 minutes. Called my out of state sister and described it. I’m sure I probably also tried calling a friend in town, but it was late and I spent more time looking than on the phone anyway. The…whatever it was…drifted northwest and got smaller over that time, so I assumed it was moving higher in the atmosphere (had to be in atmosphere if I could see plumes, right?). And then I couldn’t see it anymore.

Anyway, for days I googled the sh*t out of things like whether there were any launches of anything around that date, or any other reports of sightings, and I came up short. At some point I changed tack and googled for images of the description of what I saw and eventually returned a random illustration of a deep space craft that had plumes similar to what I saw. I don’t remember anymore what site the image came from- it must have been very unrelated (I mean, obviously I wasn’t seeing something in deep space), but those plumes…my obsession felt like (still feels like) the mashed potato scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. What was that??

This was posted less than two months ago.

This apparently WAS available on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Spots-3rpm-Single-Smokey/dp/B00FBSPNTY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=chipmunks+fire&qid=1594218764&s=music&sr=1-2

Might also check ebay?

I’ve asked and read and have seen/heard varying opinions but I’ve never gotten a definitive cited answer.

A sixteen year old Pennsylvanian is in possession of a Learner’s Permit, allowing them to drive an automobile when accompanied by a licensed adult. Sixteen year old asks parent to accompany them for a drive to the store, so they can practice.

Unbeknownst to the kid, the parent has been drinking vodka and sucking breath-mints all day and is over the legal limit. Kid gets pulled over for a brake light being burnt out. Cop immediately notices signs of intoxication in the adult passenger.

So,

• Can the cop order a passenger to do a road-side sobriety test?
  • If so, what is passenger charged with if they fail?
  • Does the driver get charged with anything other than the brake light being out?

Moved to IMHO (from GQ).

A few years ago, I googled images of the Odd Fellows and Rebekahs Home, an orphanage in Frankfort, Kentucky. My father lived there from 1911 to 1920, from the age of 7 to 16. I visited there once as a small child but remember it vividly. At least two images came up, which I recognized, but I could never get an address or even more specific location than “Frankfort.” I searched for them again last month and – nothing! They have utterly disappeared. I’m fairly sure that the actual building is long gone and probably has houses or an industrial park over now, but I’d have liked to at least know its precise location. And see those images again.

Similar to the OP, when I was in grade school a. 1988 I played a video game on an old Commodore 64. I remember the game had something to do with spaceships or alien ships or something. One of the goals or level progressions was moving out of the solar system planet by planet. I distinctly remember, when you progressed to the next level, it showed the spaceship flying in a spiral pattern into the distance and some wording to the effect of “you’ve reached Jupiter!” or whatever.

I’ve been curious for 30 years what that game is. I don’t even know what to Google to find out, but I’ve tried various phrases with no luck.

Your welcome. I’m usually no help at all with these things but when you said the ships stacked, I remembered playing that Moon Cresta game.

Gyruss?

There seem to be a few different versions of it. I thought the spaceship spiralled in to the planet as well but the video shows it going straight. Now that I think about it, you might have been able to still control the ship while it zoomed away so maybe you could make it spiral?

Holy.
Shit.

That’s it! I must’ve been mis-remembering the “spiraling as it flies to the next planet” bit but the “one warp to Neptune” was definitely in the game. Wow.

Thanks!

Same A,B,C’s but without the song that they sang. Thanks though!

You’re welcome. I’m starting to feel like I had a misspent youth! I think it does spiral, you can see in the video the ship moves sideways briefly as it goes to Neptune. I’m pretty sure if you can make it spiral around by using the control stick.