January 6th Hearing-Adjacent Discussion Thread

Thank you so much!

Yeah, and overrule the so-called CIC.

You have to be in the right age range to get it.

Or at least be able to remember the Kotter administration.

I got it!

Hopefully we never get to watch an episode of “Welcome Back Trump”.

This would imply they are inclined to consider the situation rationally. They believe that the rioters were peaceful tourists who were calmly let into the building by the police AND were violent members of Antifa engaged in a false flag operation AND that the whole thing was planned by Nancy Pelosi and the FBI AND that nothing of note actually happened AND AND AND AND…

At no point does rational consideration enter into the equation.

He was in the White House chapel praying.

The White House has a chapel, doesn’t it?

For peace and tranquility?

I would not be the least bit surprised to learn he was investing a good deal what, cosmic energy, into hoping to the universe that HIS will be done.
(And by HIS, I of course mean Trump’s will be done- that the meddlesome Pence would be dealt with and the vote would not be certified, and that his plot would be achieved.)

Well, unless there are protestors in front of it to tear-gas out of the way, I don’t think he would use it.

//i\\

I presume that you are being facetious, but for what it’s worth, the testimony indicated that he made a call to Rudy Giuliani (I imagine he said something along the lines of “it’s working!” References to genius level acumen we’re likely bandied about) and then called a bunch of senators to cajole them into not certifying the vote.

Whoa! This is good news!

I conducted dozens of focus groups of Trump 2020 voters in the 17 months between the storming of the Capitol on January 6 and when the hearings began in June. One measure was consistent: At least half of the respondents in each group wanted Trump to run again in 2024. The prevailing belief was that the 2020 election was stolen—or at least unfair in some way—and Trump should get another shot.

But since June, I’ve observed a shift. I’ve conducted nine focus groups during this period, and found that only 14 percent of Trump 2020 voters wanted him to run in 2024, with a few others on the fence. In four of the groups, zero people wanted Trump to run again. Their reasoning is clear: They’re now uncertain that Trump can win again.

One of the reasons some Trump voters want to “move on” from Trump is that they find him—and the resulting chaotic media environment—exhausting. In a focus group with Ohio voters, one participant said, “I do not want four more years of ‘orange man bad’ and everybody screaming about every time he tweets—and believe me, he did some really bad tweets. I don’t want four more years of that.”

Makes sense to me.

The January 6th Committee is definitely moving the needle. I’m hearing more and more reports on it.

Even the House looks like it might remain in control of Dems.

In general, I would say that if half the country is warning you to not trust your candidate, you should pick a different candidate.

This is regardless of which half it is that’s doing the warning.

Shouldn’t the sig be My mother?

You’d think so, but that wasn’t the joke in Welcome Back, Kotter.

Trump’s adherents don’t know what the 187 minutes are, or pretty much any other detail or term in the hearings glossary. There are some who are savvy enough to be interested in ‘what the liberals are doing’ and who thus follow the hearings, and those usually maintain of two attitudes: 1) OK, Trump was wrong and should have conceded but the man’s policy record and approach to [name issue] far outweigh whatever happened on Jan 6, or 2) Yeah that was bad, but what about Hunter Biden’s laptop (or any other allegation of Democratic corruption - baseless or otherwise). In both cases, they are convinced this is a political witch hunt.

This is the kind of attitude that will most likely get Democrats in trouble. The current state of Democratic leadership and the possibility that Biden may run again at his politically advanced age are disenfranchising factors for many segments in the Democratic voter base, which is already disenfranchised and cynical any way. The only way Democrats can win either this November or in 2024 is when they’re freaking out and convinced that everything is at stake. Any reports of seemingly favorable developments on the Republican side should be dismissed or at least subtracted from any serious polling or calculations. The only assumption Democrats should carry around is that every mom and kid and sailor registered as Republican will vote for Trump and those he endorses.