jeanster, let's discuss...

Pucky, there is a difference between argument and being a jerk. You really seem to have a problem with perspective.

As for jeanster, by the time she comes back (if she comes back) this will have blown over and we’ll see if het skin has grown some callouses.

Shayna, respectfully, I disagree. (Surprise! :smiley: ) If she’s going to post this stuff, it’s going to come back to haunt her (God knows we’ve all learned that lesson!). I think she was out of line to make the comments she did to Opal when there was absolutely nothing wrong with what was said, but you’re right - she apologized. However, I read her apology as more of an excuse (her pregnancy) rather than as a contrition. And yes, I’m sympathetic, but perhaps if she has bigger things to worry about, such as a troublesome pregnancy, she shouldn’t be bring her smarmy holier-than-thou don’t-know-a-thing-about-the-SDMB-but-I’ll-tell-you-how-things-ought-to-be-done-around-here-anyway attitude only to have us actually call her on it, and then have her leave when we do. And, really, her husband coming to her defense, although understandable, really undermined whatever apology she might have intended, IMHO. If he’s going to come in and cast aspersions without ever having been here before, he’s just as bad as she is.

I do wish her luck and health with the newborn, and I do wish she’d come back and become a regular, contributing poster to the family we call Dopers.

Esprix

Biggirl, jerkitude is in the eye of the beholder. Let she who has never jerked cast the first stone.

Alright, I’m here, ready for some stone-flinging.
(what? what?)

I agree that the apology regarding the pregnancy was an excuse, not a reason. That sort of stinks of “It wasn’t my fault I killed him - I have PMS!” If you’re out of control with hormones and worry, maybe that isn’t the best time to be debating about something you have strong feelings over. She would have been much better served with an MPSIMS thread about her pregnancy worries where everyone came in and gave her big hugs and reassured her (Scotticher, I’m talking to you here :D).

Well of course – IF she hadn’t apologized! I mean, how silly is this:

Jerky New Poster: Blah Blah, rudeness, snarkiness
Established Poster: Excuse me, that’s not how we do things around here. Here’s how it works…
Jerky New Poster: I was wrong. I’m very sorry for my behaviour. I apologize.
Established Poster: [Starts New Pit Thread] Yo! Jerky New Poster! You’re a jerk and should grow a thicker skin. So you’re having a baby – so what? Grow up and come back when you get a life!
Jerky New Poster: Uhm, yeah, I already said I was sorry. What more do you want? MY FIRST BORN?! I’m on my way out to have it, so send me your address and I’ll mail him to you straight away. :wink:

And acknowledged as much!

Esprix, you don’t get to interpret her apology. Like our esteemed Polycarp said in his Pit thread – you don’t know what’s in her heart and mind better than she, herself does! It was an outright acknowledgement of poor behaviour and an apology. It was then followed, in a separate paragraph, by an explanation of why she’s been on edge lately. Just because someone explains the origin of their mood, hardly means they’re trying to excuse it! An excuse would sound more like, “Well, sure, I was snarky, but you would be too, if you were pregnant and going into labor early and couldn’t have your own doctor!” Do you see the difference?

That’s not what she did! She was a snot. She was a snot some more. Several people called her on it. She tried to stand her ground. She got called on it again and then she apologized. Then she left. She didn’t leave because you called her on her behaviour – she left because she’s having a baby. And the last thing she did before she left was say she was sorry to the entire community for how she’d been behaving. I, for one, accept her apology at face value and am willing to give her a break until we see how she acts when she’s not under such extraordinary stress.

That would only be the case if she knew about it, if she directed him to post in her defense (and we have no evidence of that) or if she told him specifically what to post on her behalf. I don’t believe any of those options to have been the case, so I’m judging him apart from her.

No, he’s just not familiar with out community and asked if we saw things the way he saw them in that thread. And yes, he was wrong to have done so without first trying to get to know how things work around here and without registering his own username. But that hardly makes him “bad”.

And I’m just asking if you couldn’t, perhaps, leave it at that until she does.

Wow, Esprix! You’re my knight in shining armour, riding in to defend me! swoon

I’m really not that concerned over the whole thing, and I wish her luck with her baby. Dominic was “early” as well (well, he was actually late, because he was small and they’d mis-guessed my due date, but at the time we thought he was early) and my OB wasn’t there either. It’s a stressful time.

[Btw, she did say that “my time to go into labor may be coming sooner than expected” so we can send her good thoughts that the little squirt stays put for now.]

Well sheesh, as Opal herself has said, part of her name is CAT after all, not ferret, or cuddly bear, (paraphrased), and cats are, after all, a bit sparky.

Hey now. No need to get careless there. It’s Sturm und Drang, and you’ll notice German nouns are capitalised.

Do proceed.

Sorry, Shayna m’dear - I just ain’t buyin’ it.

And, again, I read it as an excuse, not an apology. YMMV.

Humbug! It’s a public message board, and I’ll interpret what’s written there for all the world to see. Isn’t that the point? Otherwise this would be an awfully boring place to be, IMHO.

I do, but in this case, I don’t think there is a difference. Again, YMMV. Others seem to agree.

I didn’t say she did. You’re effecting a causality I didn’t make. I recognize she’s not leaving because people called her on her attitude, but the fact of the matter is, she posted it, we responded, and now she’s not around. Bad timing. Perhaps she shouldn’t be posting at all if she’s having problems with her pregnancy, let alone getting into pointless arguments with people over the internet. Sure, a distraction I’m sure is welcomed in her condition, but it’s still bad timing regardless.

Well, that’s fine n’ dandy. And I’m looking forward to her return to see if anything’s changed. But I still think her apology was insincere and her husband undermined it - hence this thread.

Esprix

Oh Esprix, get over it. We’ve all posted in bad moods and regretted it later. You’ve done it yourself. Just because you say she shouldn’t even be posting if she’s under so much stress doesn’t matter a hill of beans. Sometimes we post in those moods because it relieves some of the stress (or we think it does at the time) or takes our mind off of the serious stuff we’re facing off the boards.

And then when we’re sorry and say so we hope that the people to whom we’re apologizing are big enough people to simply say “Thank you, I accept,” and move on.

But instead of accepting her freely given apology, you drag her into a fight that you know full well she’s not even around to participate in. That’s just… I don’t know what to call it, but it’s wrong.

I agree Shayna; and what’s more, re: the husband, there’s been any number of spouses, family members etc posting in support for a poster when they over reacted, so I don’t see why all the fallderall here about that.

Ya know I was the first one to call Jeanster on her posts in the other thread. I too thought that she had a very thin skin.
Yesterday after having read her last couple of posts I thought it over and decided that tonight I was going to show her a good old fashion pitting.
Now I read that she is gone for a while and won’t be back till after the baby arrives.
Kinda takes the fun out of it. :frowning:

Whew! (thanks for “verbalizing” that Shayna!, I’ve been feeling heinously guilty for taking my bad mood out in some threads, your “why people do it” is right on, at least in my case).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t telling someone that you’re using the “Report this Post to a Moderator” link against the rules?

I replied to hubby in the “Pit Rules” thread, though.

Again, Shayna, I didn’t see an apology, I saw an excuse. And whether or not she’ll be back tomorrow or next year doesn’t excuse her from having been an overreactive whiner, IMHO.

Esprix