Jell-O 6 Pack

Anyone know why those 6-packs of single Jell-Os (and pudding also) come with four of one flavor and two of the other? Why not three and three? I e-mailed this question to Jell-O months ago, and have given up hope of getting a response.

It’s usually safe to assume that a move like that ultimately increases profits somehow :slight_smile:

My WAG- it’s an evil plot to con you into buying two six-packs, so you have the same amount of each flavor. If there were three of both flavors in one six-pack, people might just buy one.

This would work especially well if two kids liked different flavors- you can’t avoid short-changing one kid without buying two six-packs.

Arjuna34

I believe this was conceived by the same people who thought it was a good idea to sell hot dogs in a 10-pack, and the hot dog buns in an 8-pack…

I don’t know about Jello, but my GUESS is that they just don’t care, that the jello is just packaged willy nilly. Maybe some packs are 3/3, others 4/2, maybe a 5/1 once in a blue moon, and 6/0 every time a two-headed calf is born to a no-headed mother on a moonless night while the wind blows north-north-west.

As for hot dogs and buns, Cecil covered it.

Nope - it’s always four-and-two. My guess is it’s because they know I really like their butterscotch-and-vanilla fat-free pudding and they’re just rying to torture me by combining two of them with four choclate-and-vanillas.

Whew! Thank god you are talking about gelatin here. Thought you were talkin’ about my belly for a second! :slight_smile:

I would assume that it’s because, in the case of the butterscotch/vanilla and chocolate/vanilla mix, generally more people prefer chocolate to butterscotch…so Jello puts more of the most popular flavour in the case while keeping a little variety.

its very easy to avoid short changing one kid, have a look at this

James likes lime
Peter likes Orange
1 package comes with 4 lime & 2 orange
2 packages come with 8 lime & 4 oranges
same dilemna

unless you are saying some packs are 4 lime 2 orange
and some are 2 lime 4 orange?

[QUOTE
its very easy to avoid short changing one kid, have a look at this

James likes lime
Peter likes Orange
1 package comes with 4 lime & 2 orange
2 packages come with 8 lime & 4 oranges
same dilemna

unless you are saying some packs are 4 lime 2 orange
and some are 2 lime 4 orange?
**[/QUOTE]

Nope. You were right the first time. All flavors come in set 2 and 4 combos. It annoys me. Cherry and Black Cherry are packed together. I like Black Cherry more, but there are only two of them in each pack.

I can’t believe no one knows the answer. There must be a simple explanation.

My guess is that the flavors which come in 4s are judged (by some mathematical formula in secret Jell-O headquarters) to be the favorite or best seller. They’re playing the percentages…e.g., pairing 2 vanilla puddings with 4 chocolate because chocolate is perceived as a better seller or judged to be “everyone’s favorite.”